Layout in progress { no laughing please im a newbie }

Rate this topic

fitzguttentite

Hi to all

here are a few pics of the start

progress is slow

started off with cork underlay { did not like it } switched then to foam , another disaster

then when going through the garbage under the stairs i found large workout mat

belong to her who must be obeyed { which was never used } a lidl special at 6.99

turned out to be excellent { easy to cut nd shape } and nice and smooth

got some ballast mixes and started to try them out

so thats where im at so far

fitz

ps i will be posting an add in the for sale section { peco turntable } my layout is too small for it so i might as well sell it

somebody will get some use from it , i will post a pic of it on the for sale section

its new and boxed

thx

fitz

2012-09-08 12.40.56.jpg

2012-09-08 12.41.58.jpg

2012-09-08 12.43.15.jpg

2012-09-08 12.43.23.jpg

2012-09-08 12.41.09.jpg

2012-09-08 12.43.07.jpg

2012-09-08 12.40.56.jpg

2012-09-08 12.41.58.jpg

2012-09-08 12.43.15.jpg

2012-09-08 12.43.23.jpg

2012-09-08 12.41.09.jpg

2012-09-08 12.43.07.jpg

I'll echo what everyone else is saying Fritz, you are doing a great job for your first attempt, like anything you learn as you go along and you will improve very quickly at this rate. The foam is a great idea if you are housing the layout overhead or in a bungalow where sound deadening is important to keep noise to a minimum. Be careful not to apply it with PVA because when the PVA dries it dries hard and it will lose a lot of the sound deadening effect.

If you are housing the layout in a purpose built room out doors and your timber work is even and well built you shouldn't need foam or any other type of underlay if you use diluted Copydex as an adhesive for setting the track and ballast to the boards. I have seen this approach before and it works beautifully. I look forward to more progress.

Rich,

Hi rich

im up in the attic

so im not too bad off the kids have flown the nest and only the mrs and me left

so the noise aspect it not too bad an issue { thank god }

the glue im using on the track ballast is p v a a 50/50 mix

first sprayed with a mix of water and washing up liquid { then applying the glue } seems to be working so far

im wondering now if i should paint the ballast ?

a brown with some black mixed in ?

your thought on this ?

fitz

Hi rich

im up in the attic

so im not too bad off the kids have flown the nest and only the mrs and me left

so the noise aspect it not too bad an issue { thank god }

the glue im using on the track ballast is p v a a 50/50 mix

first sprayed with a mix of water and washing up liquid { then applying the glue } seems to be working so far

im wondering now if i should paint the ballast ?

a brown with some black mixed in ?

your thought on this ?

fitz

Fitz sometimes the use of washing up liquid mixture and water mist spray followed by the PVA water mix can turn some granite ballast chippings a green color when it dries. This won't be the case if you use other types like Woodland Scenics ballast.

If you are brushing the color try some track grime color dry brushed (after loading the brush with paint wipe off most of it in a tissue) and as Anthony has said in another post brush some oil spills where locos have been idling. Go out and look at the real thing and familiarize yourself with what real track looks like. Take photos if you can and study the different tones and colors in the ballast and sleepers. Anthony has posted some very good photos of concrete sleepers track and they are a great reference for anyone wanting to weather their track. There are also some track pics in the prototype photos section of the group of wooden sleepered track that you could use. A little tip is to always model what you see and not what you think it should look like. Any of the lads that paint professionally always use photographs as a reference and that is why their work looks so realistic.

Rail Match and Phoenix Precision paints have tinlets of the correct shades of paint for weathering track and ballast, it's well worth having a look at both ranges. A lot of the lads are mixing their own colors and achieving as good if not better results than the off the shelf paints. Youtube is always a good place for watching uploads of different techniques of the process and is well worth checking out.

As I said observations of the real thing are a great way of giving you a guide of what you want to achieve. The attic is a popular place for a lot of layouts. Do make sure that it is well insulated, dry, and always keep a close eye on things as sudden changes in temperature can lead to disasters. Leave the missus downstairs to watch soaps and you go up to the loft, a sure sign of a marriage made in heaven.

Rich,

Finished a bit off last night { ballast } added a few telegraph poles , next step is the grass etc etc

the ballast drove me nuts { its a time consuming process } but taking it slow i think it worked out ok ?

as i said earlier i have a few items { new } that i wont be using , due to lack of space . i will put the up on the for sale board today

one is a peco oo gauge turntable / the other is an oo gauge oil storage tank { with led light }

fitz

layout 10.jpg

layout 11.jpg

oil tank.jpg

turntable.jpg

layout 10.jpg

layout 11.jpg

oil tank.jpg

turntable.jpg

Gutten tag Heirflick

its 14 x 14 { so far } if i could burst into next doors attic i would =D

here is my mountain and tunnells on the cheap

down to the local eurosaver first item was a roll of gutter protector 1.99 { its plactic an easy to use compared to 15.99 a roll of chicken wire } 2nd item 2 x 1.99 packets of plaster mix 3rd item 10 dishcloths 1.99, and a 2.99 bucket

up into the loft and let the fun begin

shaped some foam pieces , sprayed some expandable foam

got it all in place { checked the stock going in and out of the tunnell openings }

out with the gutter wire { i was amazed at the value , i was able to strenghten it a total of 3 times with the amount that was in the roll

all shaped up now , time for the plaster , the dishcloths are just like the bandage material

soaked them in the plaster and here is the result { i will finish off any nooks and crannys with a woodland scenics roll

next step { the painting and the grass work }

fitz

i tell you lads i never knew retirement would be this good

im actually enjoying it so far , and was over the moon to see the two g m,s going around :banana:

mountain 2.jpg

mountain.jpg

mountain 2.jpg

mountain.jpg

if i could burst into next doors attic i would =D

I know somebody that booked a visit from Pest Control because of sounds from their attic - only to be told that he didn't have traps for that sort of thing - which really put the wind up them, until he revealed that it was next-door's train set...

Gutten tag Heirflick

down to the local eurosaver first item was a roll of gutter protector 1.99 { its plactic an easy to use compared to 15.99 a roll of chicken wire } 2nd item 2 x 1.99 packets of plaster mix 3rd item 10 dishcloths 1.99, and a 2.99 bucket

up into the loft and let the fun begin

shaped some foam pieces , sprayed some expandable foam

got it all in place { checked the stock going in and out of the tunnell openings }

out with the gutter wire { i was amazed at the value , i was able to strenghten it a total of 3 times with the amount that was in the roll

all shaped up now , time for the plaster , the dishcloths are just like the bandage material

soaked them in the plaster and here is the result { i will finish off any nooks and crannys with a woodland scenics roll

next step { the painting and the grass work }

all you need with that mixture is a little semtex and you will have no trouble getting into the neighbours attic! looking good so far....

pic of the lights in action

im using an old hornby transformer so i can limit the voltage i send to them

they are 12 volt but bright when on full power

what you are seeing is 3 quater power sorry for the poor quality of the pics and the vid { new at computers too }

i will post some pics tomorrow of the actual lights

i was painting up there today but had to jump ship as the fumes were getting to me ;)

VIDEO DID NOT UPLOAD SORRY ?

lights.jpg

lights.jpg