Malahide opening

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

36 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Once again you have failed to mention McGowan models who produced many of the locos that ran in the Malahide layout

Tommy Tighe was responsible for many of the buildings and I think Des McGlynn made the narrow gauge loco and stock

Just sayin like....

Is that the same Tommy Tighe that runs Sound Cellar at the bottom of Grafton St.?!?!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Once again you have failed to mention McGowan models who produced many of the locos that ran in the Malahide layout

Tommy Tighe was responsible for many of the buildings and I think Des McGlynn made the narrow gauge loco and stock

Just sayin like....

Fair comment; consider Magowan included. It's probably best to say "Tighe and others", or just state "non-Fry"....  there are also a number of off-the-shelf "bought" models in there, whose provenance is uncertain.

Some of the old "0" gauge Hornby stuff were, according to Fry's daughter, "definitely" not in their house, and there's even some 00 gauge 1960s stuff.

In hours, I'm off to Tenerfire - when i come back, meetings will take place about what on earth is to happen to all of the non-Fry stuff, including Magowans.

• Like 1

If you want to find more on that Swedish tram, search for "Halmstad Nässjö Järnväg ångvagn". "Ångvagn" means "steam tram"

This link is a google search for images.
https://www.google.com/search?q=halmstad+nässjö+järnväg+ångvagn&sxsrf=ACYBGNTBWS75lRUcj7nj5Qp4aAaQTXygfg:1580855966559&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnqM-y-7jnAhWBsHEKHWj7B2UQ_AUoAnoECAsQBA&biw=1600&bih=790

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

I visited on the first weekend, and it was good to see healthy numbers going through (although the real test of that will be omce the hype has died down a bit). Fascinating to be able to view the collection and the displays are well thought out

The only comment I'd have about the layouts is that they feel a bit dead - no people around. It's a small thing that is far easier to fix than a major issue! Bray Head was spectacular, really impressive

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

That's impressive. If I remember correctly a forumite on here built a large scale model of Heuston Station about 4 years ago as a commission, and it was photo realistic. It included the detailed front and fascade of the building with all its architectural details. There are pics of it somewhere here on the forum.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Where did A4 Mallard go to in the end? He had some impressively quite lard stuff!

There's no Mallard in his collection now, Georgeconna. It doesn't appear on the highly detailed and 100% accurate inventory drawn up when it went from Dublin Tourism to Malahide castle, let alone after that (i.e. to the conservator, then to the new place). Thus, if such a midel existed (and I don't doubt you for one second!) it is clearly one of the models retained by members of the family.

In between Cyril Fry's death and the sale of the collection to Dublin Tourism in the mid-70s by his widow (Nancy Fry), she gave a number of pieces to members of the family, in whose ownership they remain (and it is my understanding that these will remain in family ownership to be passed down as heirlooms). I am in contact with family members and hope to eventually have a complete list, for the record, of what other models he made. I have identified from photographs alone a small number of pieces which never left the family and were thus never included in any transfer to Dublin Tourism. Presumably if there's a Mallard, it's among them - it would be fine-looking piece of kit.

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Where did A4 Mallard go to in the end? He had some impressively quite lard stuff!

As far as I know Brendan is modelling away, hadn't gone anywhere, just no longer active on here. He also had a giant scale 121 model as a static display and a millennium falcon. His Heuston station building was a supreme master piece of architectural model engineering and artistry. An exceptionally talented fellow and a really decent and kind man too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Crossed wires there JHB, Not on about the Loco, the Chap himself

Powers back on post lightning storm,  Holland Afrika line back on Main line duties with black 5 on Freight!

image.thumb.png.21f68566bd2a570dcd4d1404d83f2e27.png

Ah! I see.... I was wondering!

My answer, however, does actually apply to at least 7 or 8 Fry-made items.....!

1 hour ago, Noel said:

As far as I know Brendan is modelling away, hadn't gone anywhere, just no longer active on here. He also had a giant scale 121 model as a static display and a millennium falcon. His Heuston station building was a supreme master piece of architectural model engineering and artistry. An exceptionally talented fellow and a really decent and kind man too.

Indeed, he’s been of great help to me in piecing together the history of the Malahide old layout, and providing details of the 7 or 8 people who built both the layout and the locos & rolling stock....

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Indeed, he’s been of great help to me in piecing together the history of the Malahide old layout, and providing details of the 7 or 8 people who built both the layout and the locos & rolling stock....

Off the ball today JHB😀...  that's a different 'Brendan' who built Kingsbridge Station.

Eoin

• Like 2