GM171kk's layout.

Rate this topic

gm171 kk

On 9/22/2020 at 9:55 PM, JasonB said:

I could never quite make my mind up about that livery on that class. 

Probably the nicest livery it ever carried in my opinion. All it took was one photo of it pulling bagged cement wagons and I had to have a model of it. 

220 enters the loop with a Belfast bound liner.

IMG_20200923_230119.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, David Holman said:

Suspect that if you removed the trains, the photos would still look good, such is the quality of the ballasting, trackwork and scenics. Sets off these wonderful trains so well.

Agree totally David. The back scene blends in with the scenics seamlessly. It's very hard to tell where both join each other. The track work and ballasting finish things off perfectly. 

• Like 1

Thanks lads. The layout looks a lot better in photos. My ballast work is dreadful and even at that it took a long time to do. 

It was my first layout. Lots of lessons were learned and, better products and materials have been found since. I'm hoping to start a new micro layout sometime soon as this track plan is a bit limited in terms of functionality. I just have no room! 

IMG_20200927_223151.jpg

• Like 6
  • WOW! 2

34 minutes ago, gm171 kk said:

The layout looks a lot better in photos. My ballast work is dreadful and even at that it took a long time to do. 

I've been following this from the very beginning, and it's been a joy to watch it progress. Your ballast work is far from dreadful, it looks fantastic! 

It's a small area you've had to work with. But what you've managed to fit into the space available is very impressive. It looks alot bigger than it is, which is down to your modelling skills. This will always be one of my favourites on here.  

• Like 2

I've been stewing on some ideas for a new layout. What the previous layout missed really was functionality. 

I have, at best, 10' x3' or 6'x6' clear floor space. Ideally the layout would need to be stored away easily. 

So really I have two main ideas:

Idea 1: A 10' end to end layout based on a freight yard with a hidden traverse included. FB_IMG_1600907261961.thumb.jpg.b74a76a08a37f85b8147d068df25ead1.jpg

Idea 2: A traditional 6' diameter circular layout split down the middle to show two different scenes on either side. I'd hope to build it such that it folds into a semi circle for storage. The upside of this layout is that trains can run continously without my control. 

01053652.thumb.jpeg.e4b4c0d132d79452b57368e59c025a29.jpeg

Let me know your thoughts and opinions on this. 

• Like 5

What do you like ? Watching trains run past or doing some shunting ? There are a number of clever plans which can even allow you to model a city terminus in such a space.... https://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/passenger-lines/

The curved layout looks fun, but a tight radius could look odd when running bogie stock.... what you should do, IMHO, is look at Iain Rice’s books such as ‘Cameo Layouts’ or ‘Compact Layout Design’....

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

The curved layout looks fun, but a tight radius could look odd when running bogie stock.... 

You're dead right about the curve tightness. Though I've mocked out how trains would look on that radius curve and it doesn't look too bad. 

12 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

What do you like ? Watching trains run past or doing some shunting ? 

A bit of both I suppose. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 10:14 PM, Galteemore said:

What do you like ? Watching trains run past or doing some shunting ? There are a number of clever plans which can even allow you to model a city terminus in such a space.... https://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/passenger-lines/

The curved layout looks fun, but a tight radius could look odd when running bogie stock.... what you should do, IMHO, is look at Iain Rice’s books such as ‘Cameo Layouts’ or ‘Compact Layout Design’....

Galteemore is right, think about what you like, but also consider the restrictions. A 6' dia circle means 30" curves. Ok when viewed from the inside. Less so from out. Geometry means storage siding space will be limited.

Terminus to fiddle yard is great for operation, though this is mainly shunting and train lengths will be no more than 2 '6 if the Iain Rice rule is applied. Everything is a compromise.

Whatever you decide, feel sure we will enjoy the outcome. The current layout shows you have a talent for scenics and presentation, so will look forward to a new project that sees those skills develop further.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The photos below show what the outer radius curve would look like. 

4 hours ago, David Holman said:

Galteemore is right, think about what you like, but also consider the restrictions. A 6' dia circle means 30" curves. Ok when viewed from the inside.

That's true. But I'd also want to view from outside. I think a removal backscene like Everard Junction is the way to go on that one. 

IMG_20201010_232239.jpg

IMG_20201010_232522.jpg

IMG_20201010_232234_1.jpg

• Like 3

I watched your layout progress and it looks excellent. I realized that ultimately you might consider the functionality might be somewhat restricted.

I think the circular layout looks ok (not great) in TT or N or whatever that is but might be much more restricted in OO. The optics are the same no matter where you view it from, ... circular.

Maybe something modular that you could disassemble if necessary, maybe multilevel (or at least not completely flat to increase interest and operability in a tight space?

Any way to get 10 x 6' at countertop level maybe with a liftoff section for access?

Excellent scenics on your layout 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of an end to end layout with a traverser based on somewhere like Barrack Street or a part of North Wall/Holyhead Yards. 

Or I could just add a traverser to this layout and make some changes to the layout to improve it. 

I'm going to do a lot more thinking before I decide on anything. 

• Like 3

192 rests next to an Audi Quattro. 20201031204716_IMG_2209.thumb.JPG.0f10686191d75a45cc4eec251152e6ae.JPG

For the new layout I think I will go with something similar to the below. This layout is 4ft in diameter and it is N scale. My layout would be 6ft and OO gauge so roughly proportional. 

MINIMSW1.thumb.jpg.a3bbe21bdab54afb8b6cd45632279327.jpgPicture_045.jpg.1690b672d4da48ea4bd8c8540f7c99b7.jpg1025497313_DSCF1688(1).thumb.JPG.116e4fd86283fe90b6067287952c525f.JPG

Edited by gm171 kk
  • Like 4

If you haven't already, check out Ballyconnell Road. It's 3mmFS, but certainly shows what can be done with a circle and displays fantastic modelling. Runs beautifully too.

Another thought is that, in going for a circle, by planning ahead a bit, you can always add straight(ish) sections at a later date. Either way, will certainly look forward to seeing the project develop.