GM171kk's layout.

Rate this topic

gm171 kk

Great stuff, 171.

It speaks volumes for "keep it small and simple" and, obviously, being able to concentrate on the job!

No trying to ballast at arms length across an existing layout - or lying underneath to do the electrics - just tip the board up!

You obviously were well prepared for the lockdown - between, track, electric bits, scenic materials you were obviously ready on the start line! I had most of what I needed - but it was the result of buying bits over a decade AND NOT USING THEM!

Good luck!

54 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Great stuff, 171.

It speaks volumes for "keep it small and simple" and, obviously, being able to concentrate on the job. 

I have no choice 😂

55 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

You obviously were well prepared for the lockdown - between, track, electric bits, scenic materials you were obviously ready on the start line! I had most of what I needed - but it was the result of buying bits over a decade AND NOT USING THEM! 

I had most of the track but everything else had to be sourcesld during lock down. I spent most of the time waiting on materials and I was back at work in Phase 1. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

I give up!

That is simply terrific "171". Very well done.

Out of interest, have you used 12mm grass for the longer grass? Excellent backscene as well.

Thanks very much. 12mm is way too long. I tried it and had problems with getting it to stand as the fibres are just too heavy for the cheap applicator I use. Actually Woodland Scenics grass in general is a bit too heavy but its the best looking. 

I've used a mix. Anything from 2mm to 7mm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Great result, whichever was the grass length / applicator.

I assume you use the applicator which looks like a tea strainer? It has done pretty well for me.

Keep it up. I'm "resting" and video-ing diesels on freights - DON'T TELL THE STEAM MEN!

Leslie!!! You've gone over to the Dark Side!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

I assume you use the applicator which looks like a tea strainer? It has done pretty well for me. 

That's the one. I've had varying results but it all looks good... From a distance. 

Edited by gm171 kk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the image that does it for me. Such fabulous blending of layout and back scene and then blending of ballast into the embankment. I only came across this layout yesterday and have read back over the whole thread. I am interested to know what size and brand of ballast you used and how it was applied and also how you did you do the hard standing?  

You have achieved so much in a small area and no space wasted. 

Looking forward to seeing the large layout.
image.png.328643ea995364eb2bca5d25d608e257.png

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

On 9/1/2020 at 10:15 AM, TimO said:

This is the image that does it for me. Such fabulous blending of layout and back scene and then blending of ballast into the embankment. I only came across this layout yesterday and have read back over the whole thread. I am interested to know what size and brand of ballast you used and how it was applied and also how you did you do the hard standing?  

You have achieved so much in a small area and no space wasted. 

Looking forward to seeing the large layout.
image.png.328643ea995364eb2bca5d25d608e257.png

I think I used tile grout for the hard standing. The ballast is Woodland Scenics medium grade gray blend as a base and fine grade gray blend over that. 

• Like 2