Silver and black 071s

Rate this topic

Wexford70

Don't know @Wexford70. Think I saw one in inchicore last year when passing on a train to cork. It is one horrible livery but I have an MM one put away somewhere in a cupboard, had originally planned to weather it to make it look less ugly. Its still on the long finger. 

First in black and silver was 081. 077,078,084 and 087 were never in black and silver. 77,78 and 87 were in long term maintenance storage while the black and silver program was under way. 084 managed to hold on to it's IE orange untill it went to grey in 2013. 084 was the last loco to wear the IE livery in service.

• Like 1

Found some pics both by Ciaran Cooney so I hope there is no copy right and if there is  I will delete the photos so Ciaran if you see this I am sorry.

First is 086 in silver. I saw this engine in that colur on its way to Westport once. Note the door is in intercity orange.

image.thumb.jpeg.12cbcc62218e2f1282dce7cbadbafd74.jpeg

Nexted is 074. Again I have seen it but This was Way after it was overhauled in Inchcore at the beginning of May 2018 and was in Grey but was quite dirty.

image.thumb.jpeg.2f30c84d711abc9f6bdf0fdf1a24f54f.jpeg

I have to admit I will miss the colur when they repaint 086 but it is quite ugly when the loco is dirty.

MM

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wexford70 said:

Hi guys,

How many 071s survived in silver and black?

Also, any trusted modeller out there who could convert an 071 supertrain livery into the grey with yellow front ends for me?

I was fortunate as this loco was the last item I purchased from Graham's Model Railway Shop in Portlaoise just before they closed some years ago, a loss to the hobby. I managed to get one of the grey 7078's at the same time. It was a strange livery almost harking back to the 1950s.

IMG_5738.thumb.jpg.65a69a4967cac37c5c0b41ed404767be.jpg

IMG_5737.thumb.jpg.ddc4f52be9f23135aa166c74b738ac6e.jpg

7078 about to depart hauling the Brandenburg division express

IMG_1427.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JasonB said:

Same day, but taken at Limerick. Cosmetically she was looking rough and badly in need of some work. But the engine sounded fantastic all day. 

IMG_20180407_152145.thumb.jpg.c5df6b1cbbcc980e58c9977dcac00a3e.jpg

Love the orange livery door salvaged off another loco in the old livery. That would be fun to model. That's a useful photo too for weathering guidance.

• Like 3

When NIR GM 112 was on loan to Irish Rail, not only were the marker lights changed to the later LED type as used on IR, but three of her cab windows were replaced with ones presumably salvaged from withdrawn IR Baby GMs. The replacement frames were not repainted in NIR blue for a long time after, and the loco ran with tippex liveried window frames for quite a while. With true Paddy Murphy accuracy, his model of 112 has the modified marker lights, and, the tippex liveried cab window frames.

Capture.thumb.PNG.025a4e799ce44707c974b11e7d96680b.PNG 

• Like 4

On 5/1/2020 at 3:20 PM, Midland Man said:

Found some pics both by Ciaran Cooney so I hope there is no copy right and if there is  I will delete the photos so Ciaran if you see this I am sorry.

First is 086 in silver. I saw this engine in that colur on its way to Westport once. Note the door is in intercity orange.

Nexted is 074. Again I have seen it but This was Way after it was overhauled in Inchcore at the beginning of May 2018 and was in Grey but was quite dirty.

I have to admit I will miss the colur when they repaint 086 but it is quite ugly when the loco is dirty.

MM

Yes they're mine MM, and I don't mind, glad you found the photos of interest, I'll just mentioned they were published in IRRS Journal 197, one of the last to feature them in those colours. Just probably another point of interest on the black/sliver livery, 074 in its last year or so did not have any IE logos on its bodysides, as shown in that view at Drumcondra, and which gave the locomotive a somewhat cleaner and neater appearance, unlike the others as you say which got quite dirty and tired looking(!). There's some further livery details and dates about the 071s in the archive photo feature in Journal 191 which you may have:

IRRS_J191_cover-204x300.jpg.140d352dfd6919bfbbec5c79bfcb5f8a.jpg

Edited by Eiretrains
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1