Gards 1:76 Scale Ford Transit by Oxford Diecast

Rate this topic

The website is http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk. If you click on the 1:76 option on the left of the screen it give a list of eras you need to click 2010. Can't put a direct link with my phone. I will do it later this evening if no one else has done it. It will be interesting to see your reply to Anthony!

When you get a chance, a direct link would be very handy, please, Brian, as maybe it's just me, but I can't find it.

Hope it comes as a Garda Barracks would make a nice model - could ask Wrenneire for some pointers on modelling one :tumbsup:

Mind you, you've got to be careful what you ask for - I once called into a Taxation office to pick up a form and innocently asked the guy behind the counter If this was where you q'd for tickets to the public floggings, funny, he seemed slightly less than impressed :ROFL:

That Garda Van looks very good, looks like a window grill is will be present on it, can't wait for these to come out, I've been pestering a guy in the UK to produce a few similar to this for me but he never got round to it. I'll be picking up a good few of these to join the rest of my Garda fleet, Think i actually have more Garda vehicles than the REAL Gards do, they'll be perfect for my layout (when built:o ) theres going to be plenty on public order issues in Grange Castle and of course there'll have to be one parked outside the chipper ' on refreshments ' All i'll be missing now is a Garda helicoter, would love to have the skills to make one

Hope it comes as a Garda Barracks would make a nice model QUOTE]

Quite a lot of variety, no two alike.

Some date from RIC days and look like an adapted cottage/town house. Oddities with mock battlements/castellations/turrets exist. Others date from the 1920's and 1930's (in many cases where the original was burnt down!) with a family resemblance to some national schools built around the same time, usually taking the form of a larger detached two storey house.

Nowadays small rural stations may not have a 24hr police presence, so a green coloured intercom type thing fixed to the wall is a common feature.

Nearly all have a trad style 4 sided lantern with Garda insignia and all carry the Garda plaque on the wall.

Interesting how the term 'barracks' still survives as a hangover from the time that police were an armed force.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

That Garda Van looks very good, looks like a window grill is will be present on it, can't wait for these to come out, I've been pestering a guy in the UK to produce a few similar to this for me but he never got round to it. I'll be picking up a good few of these to join the rest of my Garda fleet, Think i actually have more Garda vehicles than the REAL Gards do, they'll be perfect for my layout (when built:o ) theres going to be plenty on public order issues in Grange Castle and of course there'll have to be one parked outside the chipper ' on refreshments ' All i'll be missing now is a Garda helicoter, would love to have the skills to make one

Don't forget to model a little Dave Bracken outside the chipper holding the local scumbag face down on the bonnet =))

Enniscortyman, you were asking about the Dublin Civil Defence Fire Engine, the die-cast wholesaler that I deal with has it down for release quarter 1, 2013? When it was announced earlier this year it was listed for Quarter 4, 2012 from memory. I hope this is of some help?

Apologies for not posting a link to the Oxford Diecast website when I started this Thread yesterday evening, I was thinking my directions posted this morning were ok.

http://www.briancollinsenterprises.ie

Collectables Toy Fair - Sunday 14th October 2012 @ Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley

Re: GARDA Helicopter

What type do they use ? - ALOUETTES ???

There could well be a 1/72nd plastic kit available.

Now i'm not very good with Helicopters but I think they are both Eurocopters although i could be very wrong:o also they have a rarely used fixed wing aircraft a Defender i think its called. Air support unit is based fairly close to my house so every time they chase some skanger in a banger the structural integrity of my roof is tested by them taking off and landing:((

Both helicopters are EC 135's, similar to the Air Corp versions but better kitted out. I think Revell used to make a 1:72 scale model but i'm not sure if it's still available. As for the Defender, its a commercial version of the Britten-Norman Islander aircraft, as used by Aer Arann and previously by the Irish Parachute Club. Just doing a quick search on google it looks like Airfix used to make a 1:72 scale model but again, i'm not sure if its still available.

Hi Grange Castle,

Presuming that you are working in OO scale (1/76) there shouldn't be too much trouble adding an Air Component to your GARDA Collection.

AS 'Barl' has said, At present the Garda Air Support Unit uses two Eorocopter EC 135 T-1 Helicopters and a Britten-Norman Defender fixed wing aircraft. Previously, they used a Eurocopter AS355N Squirrel Helicopter.

See:

http://www.irishairpics.com/database/search.php?q=Garda%20Air%20Support%20Unit&u=operator

for photos

Revell in Germany do a 1/72 Kit (# 4649) for an Austrian Police EC 135 which should be very similar and have the extra Police gear fitted - available from US dealers see:

http://www.1001modelkits.com/eurocopter-ec-135-model-kit/29310-eurocopter-ec135-polzei-1-72-revell-model-kits-4649.html

and

http://www.modelcars.com/revell-eurocopter-ec135-austrian-police-helicopter.html

I guess the hardest part would be finding suitable national markings, but Marks Models might be useful for this. At present Airfix do a Hawker Hurricane kit which includes Irish Air Corps markings.

I’m pretty sure that there is /was a kit for a Squireel Helicopter, I’ll have a bit of a dig.

Hope this helps to get your GARDA into the air

Cheers from Down Under

I got one of these a while back, maybe it was used in the Dublin mountains as it has a D reg?

http://www.idmodels.ie/Products/Garda-Land-Rover-Defender-Station-Wagon__OXF76DEF004.aspx

I always assumed ( probably wrongly ) that nearly all garda vehicles were reg'd to HQ in the park and had D reg's. I know a few have been sourced through seizures and maintained their original reg and converted to operational vehicles.

th.jpg

th.jpg

Edited by Grange Castle
sorry wrong photo upload, had one of real garda land rover

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/ebooks/oct_jan2013/

Link above for the new Oxford catalogue

Dublin Civil Defence - Dennis RS - Due Q1 2013 (Page 13)

Northern Ireland FB - Dennis F8 - Due Q1 2013 (Page 14)

Garda Ford Transit SWB Medium Roof - Due Q2 2013 (Page 18)

Some interesting models

Brian

Next Collectables Toy Fair - Sunday 2nd December 2012 @ Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley Dublin

Anyone know what year the reg would be on that particular model Ford van.

Rich,

Remember driving one of these in 02.

I would love to still be driving it as I would load it with some of the tossers here at the moment

Would need a LWB for one or two of them and could fill a Connect with the rest :shooting:

Anyone know what year the reg would be on that particular model Ford van.

Rich,

Not sure of the year, as the image is only a drawing. The model will be based on the current Ford Transit vehicle, first released in 2007. Sorry Wrenneire, it's not based on a 2002 Ford Transit as Oxford Diecast don't have a casting for the previous style of transit.

Not sure of the year, as the image is only a drawing. The model will be based on the current Ford Transit vehicle, first released in 2007. Sorry Wrenneire, it's not based on a 2002 Ford Transit as Oxford Diecast don't have a casting for the previous style of transit.

Thanks Brian, I appreciate that. I'll have to invest in one.

Rich,