42 foot flats in model form

Rate this topic

Robert Shrives

Bringing story up todate two pics of the IRM offering .   Well to me I can put 40 containers on the Hornby flat  and kegs on the MIR one and the SSM one - one of three  will be good to have empty, the other two go with the ammonia tanks. The 3D prints could well get weighted 20 side door containers  the IRM ones I would use as empties - possible future for the two in the spoil pack where the containers are "too modern   the containers to go on 3D print ones to go with sperry as a time traveller test train.

1473893397_CIEbogieflat280820017.thumb.jpg.ca4ce767a224bdc705bd53928c68784c.jpg1443228975_CIEbogieflat280820016.thumb.jpg.dc1cf709a4bb27b9ab209e4b19570a62.jpg

4 minutes ago, Railer said:

The buffers on the SSM ones look alot better then the RTR examples IMO.

Yes the spindles are well spindley  but perhaps having spotted it a bit of stainless steel tube might fatten out - now look what you have done given me a job ... !! but a good spot not many will mind..     

The buffers came from Lanakshire supplies and sold as used for Irish wagon models.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Railer said:

Yeah those buffer spindles have annoyed me since the Tara wagons released. I'd rather the compromise of a non sprung beefier spindle that these. Like what they went for on the Bubbles and Ballasts.

If that is all that "offends" on the IRM product it still gets my vote - and has my money - all of it !!!   Well started on BT10 bogies for covnersion of International stock from Southern pride in an idle moment.    

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mick said:

If that is the announcement this week after I ordered 4 3d prints of 42fts I'll be heartbroken, and very broke when they launch 😂😂

3D prints are really good  - put IRM loads on top and the high fidelity IRMs are your mptys! - simples..    What would be good is a limited number of the IRM bogies in twin packs. ....    

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Probably cheaper to buy the Spoils :)

I completely forgot that was an option. 🤦‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

3D prints are really good  - put IRM loads on top and the high fidelity IRMs are your mptys! - simples..    What would be good is a limited number of the IRM bogies in twin packs. ....    

Yeah I was lucky enough to pick up 2 packs of kegs and 3 packs of 20fts when they went on sale. If you have painted some of the 3d prints could you recommend what colour looks well on them. It looks like a brownish red colour? Revell satin brown is the closest I can see in paint from online pictures.

Hi  It is Halfords Bauxite primer,  Precision paints bauxite gloss for the number panel - as if wiped clean  and then a light dusting of a railgrime rattle can . transfers sealed in with humbrol matt varnish.  Bogies are more of the precision BR wagon bauxite from can on halford bauxite primer and that is about it. 

All done in 2 days but was a batch of models with the same colour.  Transfers from Railtec which were just right. 

Hope that helps 

Robert. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a picture of the finished MIR resin kit , 0.7 brass rod and two 3D print brake wheels, Railtec transfers  along with railmatch bauxite. One bogie is black having been swapped at Limerick... well you never know!. A 47 footer behind for good measure. Ride height ok with SSM kit but had to shave 1mm off bottom of bufferbeam for kaydee No 20 glued to the bogie extension piece. Last of the Peters spare 10.5 wheels- more being made in China it seems - do delivery date however. 

The next move is to get C-rail 40 foot box kits and SSM Bell transfers  for them and the White metal ones - the high def IRM empty pack to run on the back .

419661781_Modelling250920009.thumb.jpg.4bf68618c496ebc28908f160bc8359c5.jpg

• Like 5