Routes not yet travelled

Rate this topic

NIR

I'm wondering what routes people have not yet travelled, mine are quite a few...

Coleraine - Portrush

Manulla - Ballina

Athenry - Limerick*

Ballybrophy - Limerick

Limerick - Waterford

Wexford - Rosslare Europort

Mallow - Tralee

Cork - Midleton*

Cork - Cobh

Docklands - Broombridge*

Clonsilla - M3 Parkway*

* opened since I lived over there

Ballybrophy - Limerick - Athenry - Waterford is looking particularly interesting...

Edited by NIR
add Rosslare Docklands M3

There are, I know, more than a few on here who did the Derry Road, the County Donegal, Sligo Leitrim, and the Leitrim & Clare narrow gauges.....!

Maybe a thread about best memories from closed lines!

For me, that would be the madman on the Athlone - Mullingar line on the late night mail train, or the graffiti on one of the seats in the Loughrea carriage two days before it closed.....in biro, “FAREWELL TO THE DUNSANDLE EXPRESS”!

And then there was the leaking carriage roof (a clapped-out laminate) in a violently torrential downpour somewhere north of Tuam.......about a quarter of the coach had  to move seats! Lucky there were only about twenty-five passengers on it, and two carriages and a tin van!

23 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I wonder is there any ENTHUSIAST alive now who travelled on any of the lines closed in the 1930s, like Achill, Clifden or Muskerry?

A tiny handful of "ordinary" people, but I dunno about enthusiasts.........

Did you manage to get on any of the Donegal line? The girlfriend is from that neck of the woods and you see the odd remnant of a railway line, which I'd say would have been beautiful.  

My dad did that one a few times just before closure in 59 - managed to get all over the system. It was pretty spectacular all right. I think the trip I envy him most though was on a lifting train near Enniskillen. He made it to Bundoran by train too but biggest regret is probably not getting over the SLNC. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, airfixfan said:

The Burtonport Extension Railway! Epic

Senior managed that - on the footplate of one of the 4.8.0s! I think I posted a pic some time ago.....

4 hours ago, Mick said:

Did you manage to get on any of the Donegal line? The girlfriend is from that neck of the woods and you see the odd remnant of a railway line, which I'd say would have been beautiful.  

Sadly, I didn't, Mick. Had I done so I would probably not have remembered as I was pre-school - though I do remember a visit to my great-grandmother's house at the same time (non railway related!) so I like to think that I MIGHT have remembered! I think that my earliest railway memory was the inside of an old wooden GNR carriage, hauled by steam.... and another - no idea where - of standing beside a steam engine, having been told to stay put, and the driver chatted to me while Senior had gone off to talk to someone......

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

Still haven't done the WRC or Midleton since they reopened - surely proof that I'm an ex.enthusiast. In fact I've never done the WRC or even Limerick/Ennis by regular service train - plenty of times by specials. I did both Red Luas lines as soon as they opened and before they became a scumbag playground.

4 hours ago, NIR said:

South Wexford is the one I should have travelled but now can not.

Tis a horrible lesson to learn; with better planning I could have done a few more. My biggest regret is never doing the Derry Road. I could SO easily have done that, the Burma Road and at least part of the North Kerry..... but I wasted too much time instead.....😟😩😩😩😫😡

5 hours ago, David Holman said:

Like Mick, it is far easier to list the ones I have done, but if ever somebody invents I time machine then the Swilly, Tralee and Dingle, Valencia Harbour, Derry Road, the tramway section of the Cavan and Leitrim, plus the CVR would all be on my list.

And Achill and Clifden on mine!

On 9/7/2020 at 8:19 AM, Galteemore said:

No one’s mentioned the Sligo Leitrim ! 🙄

I was informed that........ (“Too much information” ALERT!) ......

.....I travelled on it - but when I was a “bump”; a few weeks before I was born I travelled from Enniskillen to Sligo and back in Railcar “B” one way, and one of the clattery railbuses the other way.

Damn. No steam.

And I only got an oul “C” the day I went to Loughrea......

(No pleasing some people.....)

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Funny 1