Addresspal

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

2 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

When its all boiled down to gravy come the 1st Jan 2020 ,  27 countries will loose one trading partner (some bigger than others ), but one country is going to loose 27 trading partners I don' t think a lot of UK citizens are fully aware at the gravity of Brexit even with a deal there is no winners in this .

Not only 27 trading partners, but all the other countries that the UK currently has trade agreements with through being a member of the EU bloc - these will be lost come 1st Jan 2021. 

If they go ahead with reneging on the Good Friday Agreement, by adding back in the line to the Internal Market Bill that the Lords removed, then what country is going to take the UK seriously in future negotiations? Madness...

• Like 2

Other countries have just assumed the UK would bugger things up and have prepared for that. France's version of customs software has been online for over a year now while the UK's version isn't looking like it will launch until Feb/March next year.

It maybe in everyone's interest to get a deal but when one side has already signalled they will break agreeements they made only a few hours previously, kinda hard to operate in good faith during talks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

Its in the EU's interest to get some kind of agreement done. They export far more to the UK than the UK does to them and this imbalance has been getting worse.

Figures from HMG

The EU, taken as a whole is the UK's largest trading partner. In 2019, UK exports to the EU were £294 billion (43% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £374 billion (52% of all UK imports). The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has generally fallen over time from 54% in 2002 to 43% in 2019.10 Nov 2020

32 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

When its all boiled down to gravy come the 1st Jan 2020 ,  27 countries will loose one trading partner (some bigger than others ), but one country is going to loose 27 trading partners I don' t think a lot of UK citizens are fully aware at the gravity of Brexit even with a deal there is no winners in this .

Indeed, a better comparison for UK exports to EU is EU exports to UK.

Untitled.png

There is a lot of deliberate(?) confusion about the reality.

Somewhere, I have a UKIP election leaflet that declares "Europe buys more from the UK than we sell to them"

I've never quite worked out what they meant there...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

My idea about Brexit:

A man in a hot air balloon realizes he is lost.
He reduces altitude and spots a man below
He drops down further and shouts to him
" How are you getting on man, I promised my pal I would meet him an hour ago but I dont know where I am"
So the man replies " You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 10 meters above the ground. You are between 40 & 41 degrees North latitude and 59 & 60 degrees West longitude."
"You must be an Engineer" says the balloonist
"I am, how did you know" says me man.
"Well" says the balloonist, " everything you told me is technically correct, but I cant make head nor tail of your information, and the fact is I am still lost. Frankly you have not been much help so far"
"You must be a Brexiteer" says me man.
" I am," replies the balloonist " but how did you know?"
"Well" says me man " you dont know where you are or where your going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow its my fault!"

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

21 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

My idea about Brexit:

" How are you getting on man, I promised my pal I would meet him an hour ago but I dont know where I am"
So the man replies " You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 10 meters above the ground. You are between 40 & 41 degrees North latitude and 59 & 60 degrees West longitude."
"Well" says the balloonist, " everything you told me is technically correct, but I cant make head nor tail of your information, and the fact is I am still lost. Frankly you have not been much help so far"
"Well" says me man " you dont know where you are or where your going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow its my fault!"

Funny but very true

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

My idea about Brexit:

NEVER was a truer word spoken! (or typed......)

I was hoping that they would take the opportunity of their refound 'freedom' to return to proper money - £/s/d.

I still have the programme installed in my head and often revert to it in some circumstances.

I saw an item at a boot sale - I would have given him two pounds for, at a push.

I asked the bloke, who was a good bit older than me "How much for that?"

"What's it worth to you?" was his reply.

"I'll give you thirty bob", I said, leaving room for manoeuvre.

"Oh, no!", he replied, "I want at least fifty pence for it"

So, I pretended to reluctantly give him a quarter of what he could have had.

I can still work in Fahrenheit and the more common obsolete units that are still in circulation there.

Interestingly (perhaps?), I think of the summer in Fahrenheit and the winter in Celsius...

• Like 1