"Iarnród Enda", RTE1 5th April

Rate this topic

skinner75

I enjoyed it I have to say. I wasn't expecting a half hour IRRS presentation on the line - if you were, then that's on you.

I like the mix of history, and current things to see on the greenway. I know that 'greenway' is like a red rag to a bull with some of you, but there you are

I don’t mind greenways if done sensitively. Ireland was over furnished with railways and most of them have no rationale for resurrection - not even my beloved SLNC!  If a greenway gets people enjoying fresh air and their heritage, that’s all good. Programmes like this can do a lot of good, and are only enhanced when the images are accurate. It’s all part of that respect for the past. Look at this heritage trail sign from Fivemiletown, which shows the pride they have in their railway history - they get the loco shape right and didn’t just grab a ‘train’ off some graphics library ...I can overlook it being an 0-8-0.....

98F08A2B-4E90-42D8-8C80-C8A89CDB25E6.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

I don’t mind greenways if done sensitively. Ireland was over furnished with railways and most of them have no rationale for resurrection - not even my beloved SLNC!  If a greenway gets people enjoying fresh air and their heritage, that’s all good. Programmes like this can do a lot of good, and are only enhanced when the images are accurate. It’s all part of that respect for the past. Look at this heritage trail sign from Fivemiletown, which shows the pride they have in their railway history - they get the loco shape right and didn’t just grab a ‘train’ off some graphics library ...I can overlook it being an 0-8-0.....

98F08A2B-4E90-42D8-8C80-C8A89CDB25E6.jpeg

Something ive seen done in my native county is murals and monuments dedicated to the past, no words. Just encouragment that encourage you to research yourself. Granted there are signs everywhere but these really stand out to me and the youngsters alikehalloween-celebration-ghosts-and-ghouls-on-a-train-leap-west-cork-ireland-2D7DMPA.thumb.jpg.3ebdc2c91b18074087f2066f1694d125.jpg

This one is in west cork, but miles away from the railway. Made out of scrap materials and yet 464 is done well

20201018_152044.thumb.jpg.5027c6cbe21127df825a189ee1e25b64.jpg

a recently completed Bandon tank model at Enniskeane with its own plynth.

skibbereen-mural-at-the-start-of-the-old-railway-cutting-DRC5HC.thumb.jpg.d8bb04289e9d4cb49fd3b82926877bc1.jpg

Colourful and thought provoking mural at skibbereen no words, just triggers curiosity

FB_IMG_1617724177281.thumb.jpg.db767e42069c12f248d68c3686445cea.jpg

Another recently completed mural at enniskeane. While the lack of colour holds this one back, it still provokes thaught and encourages research. 

20200809_175533.jpg

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Looking forward to the Achill branch tomorrow night. Here we can see the secret visit of Tornado instead of an Achill bogie!

After the performance of last time. Were gonna see at least 3 clips of irish standerd gauge rail workings, maybe british standerd gauge stuff........im calling the use the same clip of the A4s again!

• Funny 2

16 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Achill branch now "narrow gauge".

Indeed, complete with clips of the CDR and the C & L.

The Irish name for Newport is wrong.

Ads over now....

Ten seconds into the next bit and it’s the GREAT WESTERN & SOUTHERN RAILWAY!!!!!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Ads over now....

Ten seconds into the next bit and it’s the GREAT WESTERN & SOUTHERN RAILWAY!!!!!

It makes the lads who make those cast iron signs in china with such gems as C.I.E.R. Look like there doing a decent job

• Funny 3

11 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Ads over now....

And a background of 'Great Western Railway' posters. 

The still photos look correct, which is something i guess.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1

And yes, I just knew it - “the first and last trains carried the dead, thus fulfilling a prophecy”.....   

NONSENSE!

And they put my name in the credits.

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

As they say in the north, one is “scundered”!

jayyyysus, lads, if you ask people questions, at least listen to what they tell you!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

And yes, I just knew it - “the first and last trains carried the dead, thus fulfilling a prophecy”.....   

NONSENSE!

And they put my name in the credits.

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

As they say in the north, one is “scundered”!

jayyyysus, lads, if you ask people questions, at least listen to what they tell you!

RTE needs a railway enthusiast full-time......... i swear twould stop 99 percent of these mistakes happening......i think this one was worse then the last one 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

How on earth did RTE manage documentaries in the past without dropping such clangers? I don't remember Ironing the Land or Off the Beaten Track being like this.

Even  RTE's "building ireland" a few years agk was great for its research. On the West Cork Railway episode I learned stuff!

• Like 1

The point of these programmes is not to convey information but feelings.  Part of a wider cultural trend - we just happen to spot this because we know the facts on this one. The intellectual roots of this lie way back with Rousseau and Nietzsche but I bet they weren’t named in the credits...... 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

The point of these programmes is not to convey information but feelings.  Part of a wider cultural trend - we just happen to spot this because we know the facts on this one. The intellectual roots of this lie way back with Rousseau and Nietzsche but I bet they weren’t named in the credits...... 

Why bother asking experts, poor Jhb and others to contribute material, wasting their time, just make up stuff?

• Like 2

You can then puff the piece up as having had expert input. Sadly, it can all be a bit of a Potemkin village with very little real substance. What matters is telling a nice story that gives warm and fuzzy feelings...I am an academic historian by training and have written a number of things.

It’s actually really hard to stick to the the facts when you have an attractive agenda or story to push, and the facts just don’t seem important. 

Edited by Galteemore

11 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Yes, I do get that............. I've calmed down now!  :-)

But yes, there's a serious disconnect in much historical research in this country. In my non-railway historical stuff, I see this all the time - an almost dismissive, cavalier approach to the proper presentation of ANY kind of history or historical project. "Ah sure, it's just old stuff, it'll do...."

This creeps into all types of museums, documentation of things historical, preservation schemes - you name it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, I do get that............. I've calmed down now!  🙂

But yes, there's a serious disconnect in much historical research in this country. In my non-railway historical stuff, I see this all the time - an almost dismissive, cavalier approach to the proper presentation of ANY kind of history or historical project. "Ah sure, it's just old stuff, it'll do...."

This creeps into all types of museums, documentation of things historical, preservation schemes - you name it.

You can then puff the piece up as having had expert input. Sadly, it can all be a bit of a Potemkin village with very little real substance. What matters is telling a nice story that gives warm and fuzzy feelings...I am an academic historian by training,  and have written a number of things, so this stuff really interests me.  It’s actually really hard to stick to the the facts when you have an attractive agenda to push and the facts just don’t seem that binding. After all, one train looks just like another....

Edited by Galteemore

9 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Aye, with the information and material thry had, it seems like it would have been harder to do it unfactually then factually

Even a simple "who built this railway?" and not even get this half right. How do you even do this?

Alright I'm off to watch that Liverpool United play sportsball with Celtic Rangers.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

52 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

How on earth did RTE manage documentaries in the past without dropping such clangers? I don't remember Ironing the Land or Off the Beaten Track being like this.

True

47 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Even  RTE's "building ireland" a few years agk was great for its research. On the West Cork Railway episode I learned stuff!

Likewise, true.......

Again, it does beg questions the next time we're watching a programme about, say, the famine or the (forthcoming) stuff about the creation of the border 100 years ago, or "Ireland's involvement in----------" (fill in blanks)......... How much of it is ACCURATE, and how much is the stuff of poor, back-of-an-envelope "research"?

(Ah, sure, it's just oul stuff, sure it'll do. Stick in a pic of Stephenson's "Rocket"-Scotsman-thing, and put a flyin' snail on it...........)

• Funny 2

Sorry boys to read of your frustration at a TV show that I understand can not be received in the UK. Does not sound as if we in the UK are missing much.

I do not know if it has been noted on this site, but BBC 4 are currently repeating a BBC Northern Ireland production from 2015 called "Walk The Line". Nice little series. No pictures of A4's yet seen!

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lambeg man said:

Sorry boys to read of your frustration at a TV show that I understand can not be received in the UK. Does not sound as if we in the UK are missing much.

I do not know if it has been noted on this site, but BBC 4 are currently repeating a Northern Ireland production from 2015 called "Walk The Line". Nice little series. No pictures of A4's yet seen!

Twould be like if they did a documentary about the Great Central railway, and showed big boy footage 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lambeg man said:

a BBC Northern Ireland production from 2015 called "Walk The Line".

I can only presume the series was originally broadcast in Northern Ireland only, as I have never seen any of these programmes before now. For anyone else in mainland Britain who has not seen them, previous editions are on the BBC I-player. The subject matter is abandoned railway lines in Northern Ireland.   

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

I can only presume the series was originally broadcast in Northern Ireland only, as I have never seen any of these programmes before now. For anyone else in mainland Britain who has not seen them, previous editions are on the BBC I-player. The subject matter is abandoned railway lines in Northern Ireland.   

It was on the Beeb the other week, A nice program too.