Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Congrats to Leslie, Railtek, the layout.... the standard of Irish stuff is getting SERIOUSLY better every tear. the "H" van has been probably the most glaringly obvious omission. No amount of BR vans of all shapes and sizes look right behind an Irish locomotive!

trains nov 10 2016 002.jpg

trains nov 10 2016 005.jpg

This is what I'm always banging on about, livery-wise. The right logo, right type of lettering / numerals and above all the right background colour are what makes a model railway or even an individual piece of rolling stock not just an accurate model, or a well built model, but something which really captures the atmosphere of what it's meant to be representing.

For years we had no choice but to repaint BR wagons. The livery might be right, but the model wasn't. Then, we got good Irish models. For the 1950-78 period, a large enough stretch of time, the "H" van was something that simply couldn't be done without, as was the corrugated open wagon. Now we have both, plus a multitude of other stuff; the container flat cannot be done without for a 1970s-onwards system.

And carriages - we have everything from kits of GSWR six-wheelers (the MGWR one is a glaring omission, though, as most of the later survivors were of Midland origin) to "tin vans", Bredins, laminates, Park Royals and Cravens, including ready-to-run. The sheer variety would have been absolutely unthinkable even a few years ago. And locomotives! RTR GNR 4.4.0, Murphy Models products.....and "Maedhbh" 800!

Excellent! Congratulations to both model makers and modellers all round. As others have said, Irish modelling is going through a golden age. Long may it last.

• 1 month later...
20170130_235827.jpg Latest project is a gantry crane inspired by photos from Rails Through North Kerry by John Beaumont and Barry Carse and a comment by John Mayer on this thread a while back suggesting the presence of a Co Op near Glen More which shipped produce by container. Dementions were guesstimated from the few photos I could find online and photos in John and Barrys book. I'm still not sure about the overall demensions, thinking it might be too high but will wait until the lifting mechanism and hook are in place to make a final judgment. Similar cranes were located in Tralee Rathkeale and Navan. Edited by patrick

20170130_235556.jpg Another suggestion on this thread from John Mayer was to adapt Dapol GWR Round post semaphore signals by removing the finals and replacing the arms with SSM parts. The photos show the signals with the finals removed and some modification to the ladders. At some point the arms and ladders will be replaced.The final result will not be as elegant as well constructed SSM signals but is much more in line with my skills! And they will work! Edited by patrick

Patrick

You're a great advert for my wagons - I should say MICHAEL'S - as he makes 'em! I just prod him into doing them and provide the drawings / photos (he finds a lot himself!).

Still, not a bad result for a couple of septuagenarians?

When I send you more stuff, I must send you the Railtec transfers of the builder's plates for your vans. Steve did these for my little Ballast Flat ad when I saw how good they were, I had him do some sheets of suitably numbered plates for the H vans.

If you let me know which numbers you have, I'll send you the plates to make your work even more beautiful.

Keep it up - great video, by the way - loved how "helicopter" effect of leaping over the tunnel!

Leslie

20170204_111916.jpgOn my last post I mentioned replacing the arms of the Dapol signals with parts from SSM signal kits. While I am sure this could be done after attempting to do one I found the process too fiddly and decided to use the signals as they are rather than risk damaging them beyond repair. The only changes made were to remove the finals and the loop at the top of the ladder. It is a compromise I am willing to accept in order to have reliable working signals. I'm not out of the woods yet though, Dapol don't make bracket signals so I will have to attempt to build SSM kits to control the entrance to the passing loops. The signal cabin in the photo is a kit bashed Dapol kit. It is quick easy and inexpensive and looks the part however is much too large for such a small station. It is planned to replace it with one based on the one at Kilmacthomas.

Stunningly gorgeous scenes . I really like the nicely blended colour tones of your layout Patrick. Everything looks so natural and real world. I can imagine being on a train to Moate in the 1960s to visit a relatives farm.

Would love to see that particular scene again if you had a spare black'n'tan livery loco to put in it.

Edited by Noel
lexdysic typo

Oh that is delightful. very 70s

Stunningly gorgeous scenes . I really like the nicely blended colour tones of your layout Patrick. Everything looks so natural and real world. I can imagine being on a train to Moate in the 1960s to visit a relatives farm.

Would love to see that particular scene again if you had a spare black'n'tan livery loco to put in it.

20170208_092746.jpg Here you go.

20170208_092123.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26770[/ATTACH]

Here you go.

Thanks Patrick.

WOW - I've nearly fallen off my perch with delight seeing both of those iconic scenes. Pure magic. There are some amazing layouts covered on this forum, but your layout is my personal favourite - it is simply fabulous and pure class.