Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Really great stuff going on in this layout. A35 pulling the mixed freight for me is the money shot.

Ditto. Black CIE locos with tan band and white strips is my favourite era.

What an absolutely fabulous layout. This is the period of Irish railways that most interests me. Just love the atmosphere and colour tone of your layout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much was done on the layout in the last few months mainly due to my work schedule but the recent discussion obout dual cab control inspired me to complete the wiring and panel for Cork fiddle yard and Grange station. When the layout was extended I never got around to building a new control panel. instead the old one was hastily adapted to get things running quickly. Twin cab control using SPST center off switches and common return is employed, a system ai have used on three layouts over twenty years without problems.

update 2.jpg

update 1.jpg

update 3.jpg

update 4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

drapes 4.jpg

All the drapes are finally in place under the layout. The work bench has also been moved giving a nice open area for viewing and operation. The layout lighting turned off for the last photo because of excess glare.

drapes.jpg

drapes 3.jpg

• 4 months later...
Have you thought of running an oil & magnesite train - as you run a Bell Line train already, it would be entirely appropriate.

In the meantime, keep up the good work!

Stephen

An oil and magnesite train is on the to do list and very much part of the concept of the layout. Unfortunatly my current work schedule does is not conducive to modeling hense the slow progress in the last six months.

Irish Freight Models do a good rendition of the magnesite wagon. Most of us have to compromise because of a lack of space so I wonder whether separate oil and magnesite trains would be more convincing.

Stephen

An 001 class hauling something like 8 or 9 oil wagons with no magnesite wagons was a regular movement on the Ballinacourty branch.

An 001 class hauling something like 8 or 9 oil wagons with no magnesite wagons was a regular movement on the Ballinacourty branch.

The fiddle yard tracks can hold 11 twenty foot wagons. 4 oil wagons and 7 magnesite wagons seems like a good mix. I'm sure over the life of the operation almost any concievable mix ran depending on tht needs of the plant. The loads were always at the front so when the train arrives in the fiddle yard the locomotive only needs to be put on the other end and it is ready for the return journey.