Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

I have noticed that lack of progress in certain parts of the layout is often a result of uncertainty or unhappiness with the plan or progress so far. A case in point is the west end of Glen More station where a level crossing was planned on the curve over the maim line and passing loop at the end of the platforms. The location was prototypical, every passenger station should have a road crossing near the station building and it looked well on paper. Early on during construction I roughed in the crossing using black card for the roadway and the Wills level crossing kit (it was planned to replace it with an SSM kit later) but it never looked right. The gates were too short to clear the tracks and avoid being side swiped by passenger coaches and the whole set up seemed to draw attention to the sharp (by prototype standards) curve even though the minimum radius is 26 inches. As scenery construction progressed from the fiddle yard West of the station and to the viaduct on the East this gap with the improvised level crossing remained. I was clearly not sold on the original plan but the layout needed to have a level crossing. A few posts back I outlined the plan to extend the layout to include the point at the East side of the passing loop at Grange. At present the main line and loop disappear under a road bridge into the fiddle yard. The new extension will add two to three feet to the scenic part of the railway on the west side of the road bridge and the question arose as to how to hide the new entrance to the fiddle yard. I didn't want to use a second road bridge so near the first or introduce a second tunnel on the layout, one is enough, they are not common features on Irish railways and I am striving to make the layout look a typical stretch of railway. This plan would of course involve tearing out the double track road bridge which I hated to do since the scene came out so good. The solution came to me over a beer in the layout room last Friday night. Remove the double track bridge at Grange and rebuild it in place of the level crossing at Glen More. Use a single track over bridge to hide the entrance to the West end fiddle yard and put the level crossing in on the west side of the viaduct on the single track (it was originally planned to have a single track road over bridge here). The next day the improvised level crossing was moved to the new location where it works so much better and a cardboard mock up of the road over bridge was made to evaluate the plan. An added bonus is that the bridge will break up the rather long flat stretch of railway through Glen More and improve the scenic potential of that corner of the layout. Enough of my ramblings so here are a few photos of the level crossing and bridge mockup.level crossing 2.jpg

bridge mockup 2.jpg

level crossing.jpg

new scenery 2.jpg

I have been ordered by the doctor to take it easy for two weeks so naturally I worked on scenery. The white material is Woodland Scenics Sculptamould which has been used throughout the layout. It is really easy to work with, is extremely durable and far less messy than plaster. The incomplete hills on the backdrop which are too high will be painted out and replaced by lower ones similar to those at Glen More. The surface of the benchwork is insulation foam which has been cut out and lowered in much of this area although it is difficult to make out in the photos.

new scenery 1.jpg

[attach=config]13096[/attach

At Keilys Cross level crossing the fascia was installed and the backdrop fixed. To the right of the crossing a keepers cottage is planned and an accommodation crossing to the right of the buffer stop. Today the new road bridge will be put in at Glen More. As soon as the scenery is done the valance and fascia will be painted matt black.

Glen More level crossing.jpg

[attach=config]13096[/attach

At Keilys Cross level crossing the fascia was installed and the backdrop fixed. To the right of the crossing a keepers cottage is planned and an accommodation crossing to the right of the buffer stop. Today the new road bridge will be put in at Glen More. As soon as the scenery is done the valance and fascia will be painted matt black.

I love the backdrop eLooks s cold it could pass for Minnesota or North Dakota in February

Love this layout. Proof that 'shoe-horning' the kitchen sink into a layout does not necessarily add to it. Even tough it has a very 'American' construction method to it (which I really like by the way), it captures the Irish countryside look and feel beautifully.:D

Is the incline from the fiddle yard real or just a visual trick? Looked at this half a dozen times and still cant figure it out! I reckon Shink sums it up perfectly. Less is more and it benefits in spades from it immensely. May the lifting train never visit! R.

Is the incline from the fiddle yard real or just a visual trick? Looked at this half a dozen times and still cant figure it out! I reckon Shink sums it up perfectly. Less is more and it benefits in spades from it immensely. May the lifting train never visit! R.

All the track work is level. I have noticed the same thing in photos both at the east and west fiddle yard approaches where the layout is viewed from the inside of a curve and the scenery rises gradually to the level of the road over bridges.west of grange.jpg

Here are a few more photos of the recent progress.West glen more 4.jpg

The West side of Glen More road bridge. The fascia needs to be touched up following scenery work.keilys cross panaroma.jpg

Keilys Cross level crossing and the occupation crossing leading to the beet loading siding. Stone walls and hedges will be added next.

The next major project will be installing a black curtain with velcro behind the fascia to the floor. The intended effect is hopefully like a museum exhibit or aquarium where only the subject matter, in this case the layout is illuminated.

Thanks for all the positive feedback which has given me so much encouragement with this project.