Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Keilys Cross crossings.jpg

Over the weekend the last of the ground cover and stone walls were done leaving the scenery basically complete although much detail work can still be done. The trees on the layout will also be redone at some point to improve them and better represent mid to late October. The time has also come to start on the Studio Scale Models semaphore signal kits, a task I'm not particularly looking forward to. I'm much more at home building scenery than soldering tiny parts together but I'm sure they will add immensely to the character of the layout. I'm also looking at options for the crossing keepers cottage at Keilys Cross. In the meantime here are a couple of photos taken today. Anything to avoid getting the soldering iron out!

meet at glen more 2.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13344[/ATTACHATTACH=CONFIG]13343[/ATTACH]

Over the weekend the last of the ground cover and stone walls were done leaving the scenery basically complete although much detail work can still be done. The trees on the layout will also be redone at some point to improve them and better represent mid to late October. The time has also come to start on the Studio Scale Models semaphore signal kits, a task I'm not particularly looking forward to. I'm much more at home building scenery than soldering tiny parts together but I'm sure they will add immensely to the character of the layout. I'm also looking at options for the crossing keepers cottage at Keilys Cross. In the meantime here are a couple of photos taken today. Anything to avoid getting the soldering iron out!

Some of the OO Alphagraphix kits in card may be suitable as a crossing keepers cottage. I have used these buildings extensively on my layout Ballybeg (see layout section for videos/photos etc).

Regards,

Gerry

Some of the OO Alphagraphix kits in card may be suitable as a crossing keepers cottage. I have used these buildings extensively on my layout Ballybeg (see layout section for videos/photos etc).

Regards,

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, unfortunately they don't seem to have a website and I'm finding very little information online. Are they still available?

Thanks Gerry, unfortunately they don't seem to have a website and I'm finding very little information online. Are they still available?

Maybe you could try the Wills Kits crossing keeper cottage kit ,

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Wills-Kits-SS39-Crossing-Keepers-Cottage/ ?

With a little adjustment it could look like one of the crossing cottages at Cappagh ,http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20C/Cappagh/IrishRailwayStations.html#Cappagh_20090717_001_CC_JA.jpg , to keep in line with your Mallow Waterford line theme! Wills kits also have plenty of building materials like windows ,doors and embossed platic card sheets as well.

They are often available at exhibitions including the Wexford MR shows at Easter and October each year. Michael Morris is the retailer (Tel 087 7870447/email clamm05@eircom.net). Alphagraphix have a nice catalogue with a wide range of card kits in O and OO for wagons and buildings many of them Irish. I have used their "stone" 2-storey wayside halt/station cottage (Kit F506) based on Kiltubrid on the C&L; a 2-storey crossing keeper cottage (Kit F505) and a single storey version (Kit F530). They are easy to put together and have an authentic Irish feel to them! They are also very reasonable costing only a few euro each.

Gerry

Edited by Irishrailwayman
additional comment

The layout is coming along fab! Where did you get the stone walls?? What material did you use to make the ditches/embankments?? Im looking to do something similar on my own one.

The base board is built from half inch insulation foam board glued to a frame made from one by two inch pine with bracing about every foot. (sorry about the imperial measurements but that's what is still used here) This is supported around the walls on inexpensive shelf brackets screwed into the wood framing. The result is strong and lightweight. During construction realizing that having the trackbed elevated even half an inch above the surrounding scenery in many areas would greatly add to the realism of the layout sections of foam were cut out, dropped a half inch into the framing and secured with hot glue taking care to reinforce the foam under the track. If I were to do it again I would use two layers of foam making the job easier. The final contours are established using Woodland Scenics plaster gauze and Sculptamould.

The stone walls are made from cat litter mixed with white glue and formed on the layout on top of the ground cover. Use just enough glue to get the cat litter to bond and don't over mix it which will cause the granules to disintegrate. When it dries there is often some shrinkage which causes gaps which can be filled with more cat lit glue mix or covered with foliage. I also apply a little ground foam where the bottom of the wall and scenery meet to hide any gaps and give the impression of tall grass and weeds at the foot of the wall. Start by building a few sections on some scrap foam or cardboard to get a feel for it before trying it on the layout. For grass I use Woodland Scenics light green coarse foam and for hedges and bushes Light green clump foliage and olive green bushes.

Just a short addition to my previous post, before applying ground cover the scenery is painted with a tan colored paint. The color was chosen to match the soil in the area based on photos showing beet harvesting I found online.

You'll haft to upgrade your layout to a noughty's 'Celtic Tiger' era & stick housing estates & appartments on all those greens!!!!!! ;)

That would require considerable investment in rolling stock and infrastructure. I suppose I could just put it on the credit card........

walls 3.jpg

Cat litter???? I wasn't expecting that!! Thanks for the info Patrick, some helpful tips there.any chance of a close up of the stone wall just to see the effect?

Here you go. Sorry about the picture quality, I'm using a mobile phone camera which hasn't enough resolution for such close up shots. The effect is far better in person especially at normal viewing distances.

walls 1.jpg

walls 2.jpg

goods at glen more 3.jpg

Nothing really new here except the cattle wagon on the Waterford goods at Glen More. Two more are in the works. I am feeling a little sad that the scenery is essentially complete although there is much detailing and improvement which can be done. This is the first time I tackled scenery on a layout and it proved to be very enjoyable.

goods at glen more 2.jpg

Others have said it before, that layout just looks so 'Irish'. The first shot looking back through the station is great, what did you use to surface the platform?

I used a thick high grade card I found at a craft store. A bit expensive, $7 for a 24' by 30" sheet but is very strong and stable. It is available in a variety of colors including black which was used for the platforms in the photo. It has a very slight texture and to my eye looks like relatively new tarmac. I also used it for roads but painted it grey to represent an older surface.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...