Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Its just regular cat lit from ALDI. I mix about a quarter cup with white glue, just enough to make it stick together. The walls were then formed on the layout, in this case over the ground foam using my fingers. This method has the great advantage of having the wall follow the contours of the landscape.

Edited by patrick
spelling

fall trees 2.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments. Since the layout is set early in the beet season I have been trying out Woodland Scenics fall foliage and dead foliage on trees, some of which I need to fill out a bit more. The other materials used are light green coarse turf, olive green underbrush and light green clump foliage. I had mixed in some medium green coarse turf on the area around Grange but having none on hand a few weeks ago and having an itch to build scenery I went ahead without it thinking it could be added later. As it turned out the results were better so now the medium green is no longer used.

fall trees 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a minor issue with the stone walls on this section of the layout which I had not previously encountered. As mentioned in an earlier post they are made from cat lit mixed with white glue and formed on the layout. On this section after the glue dried contraction occurred leaving gaps in the wall. It was easily fixed by patching with cat lit white glue mix or simply hiding the gap with foliage.

• 2 weeks later...

bell liner..jpg

Six down, three to go. Hopefully this weekend will see the completion of all nine wagons of the Bell liner. Later this year when C-Line introduce their Bell reefer two will be added to the train, eleven wagons and a locomotive being the maximum length the fiddle yard will hold. The last few weeks has seen a lot of scenery building and I am looking forward to cleaning up the layout and railway room and getting back to some operation. The new Bell liner will greatly improve the mid seventies operating session.

bell liner 2.jpg

After posting the last photo I was alarmed to notice how narrow gauge the track looks when viewed from a camera placed on the layout. The above photo is more of a viewer perspective of the layout. An advantage of high level benchwork is that that it makes the narrower gauge less obvious.

Edited by patrick

I'm thinking the same, it looks like the cover of "Rails through the west". Total class.

It also gives me an idea for a section of my proposed layout.

I am a little worried here since I am trying to model south Co Waterford! Rails Through The West has been a huge inspiration and resource and I am eagerly waiting a follow up. I seriously considered modeling Ardrahan and Croughwell but I didn't have the space, even small prototype stations are really long.

Heh! Is that a classic 20th century gate with twisted decorative work I spy in the background ;)

Yes indeed it is. These are a wonderful detail which scream rural Ireland. As soon as I saw them at your table at the show in Dublin in 2012 I had to have them. The layout has received some wonderful comments regarding the detail of the scenery. In fact its not very detailed. Getting a few signature things right like color, the stone walls and gate give the impression of far more detail than there is.

(Anyone looking for these gates can find them on the Studio Scale Models website.)

(