Sign in to follow this  
Mayner

Tales from the carriage shops

Last years New Resolution not to start any new projects and concentrate on finishing my long list of un-finished projects kind of backfired, to make matters worse one of our cats Beeze took up residence in Keadue station, an eye level layout is very attractive to the feline species.

I have removed the buildings and stock until I get a chance to install a lighting pelmet above the layout to complete the proscenium arch effect to disguise the awkward exit stage right at the Arigna end of the yard.

The year before last we made the mistake of adapting two kittens 6-8 weeks apart who are now unable to share quarters and our office has become by default a cat bedroom.

Beeze.JPG.f67e2465bc83ce5250193e5a69d2587f.JPG

I did manage to complete the detailing and painting of some 4mm scale 21mm gauge stock but have not gotten around to commissioning/ordering decals

5a588e3a9d7c3_Lastyearsresolutions.JPG.aca66641f0a350a347f3fd881478ad6a.JPG

The Ruston 88DS is a very old Impetus kit similar to those used by the Sugar Company the rest of the train is my own design, I hope at some stage to have a mail train suitable for the GSR and CIE green & black and tan eras.

workbench.JPG.4e213235d463ec6d288e73bd43550bb8.JPG

And so this New Years Resolution to tidy up the workbench and start something new for a change 9_9

Prototypes for CIE MK1 & 2 Flat wagons, 650 class patterns and a pair of hooded vans for my mail train.

The Unimat SL is set up for turning between centres for new axle centers for one of the Large Scale   locos. The large scale storage yard and loco yard sit below the baseboards for either an American N or Irish 4mm layout if I ever get round to building either.

The baseboards and backscene for the new layout were installed about 3-4 years ago, I am a slow worker and getting slower by the day.IMG_4082.JPG.4b78fee0e731bd9691225ad79faedf3c.JPG

Close up of lost wax spring hanger masters for flat wagons. The MK2 flats on the left are slightly lower than the standard CIE 20' chassis in order to carry 8'6" containers throughout the system. The MK 2 flat will have to be re-mastered to simplify assembly.

5a58931bb8d94_650Classpatterns.JPG.c91ff117692ce4d4346d9915e1a11bf5.JPG

Lost wax wagon spring and 650 Class loco castings, these were cast using a cold casting process from the original brass masters. The castings will then be used to produce a mould for casting in pewter once I have completed cleaning up the castings

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  
  •  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Broithe said:

Every station should have a cat.

Try to instil a sense of duty by making the position official.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tama_(cat)

Beeze had being doing a good job patrolling the line without disturbing or de-railing anything for about a month before he accidently knocked over the goods shed which fell to the floor. Our other little monster Bushka an absolute Ja Ja Garbor of a cat made short work of the crossing gates at the end of the yard and has a penchant for de-railing N Scale trains, keeps a close interest but hasn't tackled the Large Scale trains

His favourite nesting spot was in the cutting between the loco shed and the roadside tramway section though I havent a photo

• Like 1