Just looking at railway stuff.....

Rate this topic

tonybonneyba

I would say that buffers would be a relatively common accessory in peoples gardens etc - but you would be amazed at what people have stashed away on their homes be it buffers, piston heads, crossheads, connecting rods, pressure gauges, smokebox darts, droplights, compete railcar driving cabs, seats, etc etc

A friend of mine has found an EE 450 class piston to be ideal for holding the door open for instance!

I would say that buffers would be a relatively common accessory in peoples gardens etc - but you would be amazed at what people have stashed away on their homes be it buffers, piston heads, crossheads, connecting rods, pressure gauges, smokebox darts, droplights, compete railcar driving cabs, seats, etc etc

A friend of mine has found an EE 450 class piston to be ideal for holding the door open for instance!

An old guy near me whose father used work on the railway had GS&WR rail chairs holding down the sheeting in the shed in case the wind would catch it, a signal ladder acting as a fence for cattle and a wrought iron handle that probably was either the handle of a steam loco long handled cleaning shovel/scraper or dart at one time. Another place had a couple of CIE branded loco oil cans used for keeping a horse drawn mowing machine lubricated after they had finished railway service and axlebox covers and part of a loco grate as a drain covers.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

The thing I notice when looking at railway stuff on eBay is that there is so much stuff relating to UK railways available to buy. Very little Irish stuff seems to be out there for sale.... :(

Hardly surprising. Big difference in the scale of what was/is here vs the huge network that covered the uk. Plus the heaps and heaps of mechandise, T-shirts, bits and bobs and reproduction stuff that is for the massive uk market. Also a goodly proportion of stuff here went into landfill or melted down rather than being saved.

Hardly surprising. Big difference in the scale of what was/is here vs the huge network that covered the uk. Plus the heaps and heaps of mechandise, T-shirts, bits and bobs and reproduction stuff that is for the massive uk market. Also a goodly proportion of stuff here went into landfill or melted down rather than being saved.

When the "Shamrock Car Company" closed down in Monaghan, it seem's the parts laying around went into the nearest lake, it seem's nothing is sacred in this Country,

before the modern era of celtic tiger blah blah, everything had value. I grew up in 70s 80s dublin and had two bikes stolen. one was locked the other, this fella knocked me off it and was away. What i am saying is, back then if it wasnt nailed down it was gone and that is just the way it was. perhaps why there is few plates etc compared to the english market.

When the "Shamrock Car Company" closed down in Monaghan, it seem's the parts laying around went into the nearest lake, it seem's nothing is sacred in this Country,

Thankfully a (very) few survive. A heavy car with a sewing machine sized engine and not blessed in the appearance dept.

Edited by minister_for_hardship