A six wheel coach

Rate this topic

Mike 84C

Maybe I should title this,somthing I have spent to much time on! Two Hornby four wheeled coach bodies spliced together running on a Hornby six wheeler milk van chassis. Roof vents and gas lamp vents from Millholm models. Waiting for transfers and a descision on what colour/shade of dark green to paint it.

IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

• Like 1

That is absolutely top class. Looks very GSWR, possibly DSER. Not a million mikes off BCDR too - so a model which could be very versatile in its applications. Regarding shade of green - if ex-BCDR, were looking at UTA green; the RPSI Whitehead set is as close to that as any. If its intended environment is CIE, then pre-mid-50s you're looking at a "Brunswick Green", the original of which you'll see on 800 in Cultra, with the broad light green stripes above and below the windows. If post-'55, the lighter green seen on C231 and the top, and somewhat faded on G611 at Downpatrick, or the RPSI's Dublin-based heritage set, or the CIE dining car (2420 or 2421, can't remember) in Cultra.

In all the above cases, the ends and chassis in black. In CIE versions, black roof; in UTA, mid grey.

An absolutely lovely vehicle - I'd be interested to know if the 6 wheel chassis is articulated?

I know others have altered standard Hornby or Ratio RTR and kits to resemble Irish wooden-era stock, with satisfying results. There was a post here some time back about doing this to Hornby bogies of, I think, GWR origin. With their bowed ends they could be made to look like WLWR stuff (the only Irish company to have bow-ended stock).

The above is the little "Thomas" 4-wheelers - who would have thought!

I have a body for one - if anyone wants it PM me. In fact, two of them would make a nice matching bogie coach for the above! If there was a brake van version, a brake third could result from this plus one of the above.....

Guys, thank you so much for all the praise, it was worth the effort. I will post again when it is painted and decaled.

I cannot claim that the idea was mine, I think it was a post of Colm Flanagans where I saw the basics mentioned and a picture in Irish broad gauge carriages by Desmond Coakham on page 26 that gave me the idea.

JHB, the middle axle slides laterally and I have tried it over Peco med, large and three way points of code 75. Which worked ok

On the general subject of six wheeled coaches, here are some original plans. If anyone is interested in clearer copied, PM me. The first three, interestingly, are examples of DNGR vehicles apparently taken into GNR stock, as they are GNR drawings and have had GNR running numbers allocated. That's a new one to me; I had always thought that any ex DNGR stock in GNR hands consisted only of luggage brakes.....

The other two are GSR drawings, but of former MGWR vehicles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by jhb171achill

• 2 weeks later...

That looks fabulous. Superb paint job. :tumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get the lines so crisp and sharp as well as the numbers and flying snail if you didn't use transfers? Another top class paint job on the forum this week.

Thank you for all the positive comments guys, whilst taking off unwanted moulded detail I did doubt my sanity and was it worth it? Definately and will do another when I can get some more T/tank coaches. Now what to do with all the Hornby brake van chassis? I had never tried using separate door handles and grabs, for me the jury is still out but Mrs 84C likes them!

Thanks Jim, did put your suggestion to Mrs 84C but she just laughed! and said I should be so lucky, so very cruel!

Noel, the transfers are from Railtec their Irish range and I have nothing but praise for their service,very friendly and swift, and the quality of the product. My only interest is a satisfied customer.

JHB, part of the project was to see if I could make something out of a pigs ear. I am very happy with my coach. I was also amazed that +30yr old humbrol paint was still ok and sprayable, thats the green on the sides, which I do not think is quite dark enough.