NIRCLASS80

Just noticed this

A class 71, Bo Bo

Size wise not too far from a 121

Price £155, or €220 for us poor Europeans

Hornby will do a minimum run of 10,000, maybe more

If Murphy brings the 121 in under €200 I reckon it will be a bargain

http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/br-class-71-e5022-br-green.html

Hi Dave. Hmmm - 203mm is too long for a 121 or C class (more 071 size). Pricey alright, but seems to be a decent chassis for a change being centre drive with both bogies powered compared to the usual Hornby mediocre fare. Noel

Hi Dave. Hmmm - 203mm is too long for a 121 or C class (more 071 size). Pricey alright, but seems to be a decent chassis for a change being centre drive with both bogies powered compared to the usual Hornby mediocre fare. Noel

Eh i don t think he meant it as a donor for a 121, its just a comparison in the price.

Edited by Riversuir226

A bit of a global statement there Noel. What particular locos would you apply that to, other than the Railroad range?

Hi Des. I meant the quality of their 'drive' systems on diesels, not the quality of the body mouldings or detail. Have diesel chassis improved in recent years like this Class 71. Noel

Hi Des. I meant the quality of their 'drive' systems on diesels, not the quality of the body mouldings or detail. Have diesel chassis improved in recent years like this Class 71. Noel

Apart from the Railroad (budget) range, their diesel locos are centre drive and have been for some time.

For example, their class 31:

Edited by Garfield

from David Geen's Website "Part of the "JUST LIKE THE REAL THING" collection by Pete Waterman www.justliketherealthing.co.uk."

David Geen's website is years out of date, unfortunately, and he has no control over it. Only way to contact him is by post or phone these days, or catch him at finescale shows.

The 4mm scale Mitchell range is in reality run under David's control, not Pete's.

Noel. I was referring to the drives as well. To validate the term usual mediocre fare what percentage of their locos use pancake/ringfield motors? Nothing wrong with single bogie drive per se provided it has the requisite torque and traction.

I have a Hornby Class 31 (just like the one Garfield shows above) that I purchased on fleabay at least 7 years ago to cut and shut for an A Class, but on receipt, just didn't have the heart to destroy. Central can , working fan, sprung cab doors. Just couldn't. I mention it as it is a complete contrast to the Airfix C31 I used previously. Lovely donor base, but staring at the motor would be enough to make it stop. Ugh.

....I have a Hornby Class 31 (just like the one Garfield shows above) that I purchased on fleabay at least 7 years ago to cut and shut for an A Class, but on receipt, just didn't have the heart to destroy. Central can , working fan, sprung cab doors. Just couldn't.....

There is a bit of a sting in the tail with the Hornby Class 31, since a fair few of them have suffered from flawed mazak underframe casting, which either leads to fracturing of the ends of the casting or expansion, causing the plastic body to distort and then shatter in the area of the cab front. Do keep an eye on this. The same type of thing notoriously affected the Heljan Class 47 which, not content with being too wide, then became too long.

There is a bit of a sting in the tail with the Hornby Class 31, since a fair few of them have suffered from flawed mazak underframe casting, which either leads to fracturing of the ends of the casting or expansion, causing the plastic body to distort and then shatter in the area of the cab front. Do keep an eye on this. The same type of thing notoriously affected the Heljan Class 47 which, not content with being too wide, then became too long.

You can always gut the loco and try to scratchbuild a suitable chassis. At the very least it would be the right size...

There is a bit of a sting in the tail with the Hornby Class 31, since a fair few of them have suffered from flawed mazak underframe casting

Not a concern for my model that may still go under the chop! Point noted, but it doesn't detract from the fact that standard locos now come with significantly improved drives.

Regarding the Airfix C31, I bought a second, thinking I was unlucky the first time. Nope. The second was equally sh*te. Obviously the motors just demagnetise over the intervening 30 years. They would whiz away with no load (power applied directly to motor leads), but the moment any torque was applied, nada.

I just noticed that there are some subtle differences between the Solidworks 3D (Mulitcoloured images) and the rendered 3D of the proposed models, the latter having a bit more detail. Just be mindful to check the multicoloured images for a closer representation of what will actually be produced.