Irish Railway Station Posters

Rate this topic

Hi one and all,

The attached photo on the Cavan and Leitrim Mohill station shows a CIE Poster, my request is who might have one and if so can you post a colour version and the size of the poster, there is a second poster which I cannot make out to much detail of but again it is a CIE poster.

Is anyone aware of anyone who has produced all of these CIE posters in 4mm / OO scale?

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

4.jpg

6 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hi one and all,

The attached photo on the Cavan and Leitrim Mohill station shows a CIE Poster, my request is who might have one and if so can you post a colour version and the size of the poster, there is a second poster which I cannot make out to much detail of but again it is a CIE poster.

Is anyone aware of anyone who has produced all of these CIE posters in 4mm / OO scale?

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

4.jpg

Colin- I think Alphagraphix do these. 

• Like 2

@Colin R

Colin,

Your second poster, for identification purposes is going to be this one (which is copyrighted to all posters.com)

Available from them as a 24" x18" poster which might not accurately equate to the size of the prototype which looks to be more like 3' tall.

Not familiar with the one with the shamrock but will post if come across it.

ireland-by-cie_u-L-P2CTCB0.jpg

Edited by DiveController
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DiveController said:

@Colin R

Colin,

Your second poster, for identification purposes is going to be this one (which is copyrighted to all posters.com)

Available from them as a 24" x18" poster which might not accurately equate to the size of the prototype which looks to be more like 3' tall.

Not familiar with the one with the shamrock but will post if come across it.

ireland-by-cie_u-L-P2CTCB0.jpg

I saw an origional one of these in castlerea railway meuseum the other day. Ironically pulled from the a West Cork station of Waterfall

Perhaps advertisment posters and boads would be easier to come by? I think those who did the bantry layout made posters like these ones 

Edit: Bingo 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Thanks guys for identify both of them. I am sure there must be other Irish based posters, I might have to start a search on the interwebby thing to see if i can find any more. 🙂

Colin

Radio train and excursion ones were pretty common. But excursion ones are area specific

NDMwMzI1MTc5MjNhODZmZGYxM2ZiMzQ4NTg1ZmQxNDQeT7lVD1_BOma1pTYOy2y8aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZWFi-HA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg.49e463072f338ec26e82f4b99552530b.jpg

In this one, the times seem to be just written on!

1508985_10151817172615518_1138197234_n.jpg.cee6ba22854bca400e52256244b9e57c.thumb.jpg.beb288db5f14064d59775a90e96e939d.jpg

This one i found on the forum under the thread gsr 800...

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

It looks like to me as if all the excursions trains where over printed on a standard background poster, they would have to be cheap enough to do something like that, I suspect that a run of say 500 posters was the normal thing.

Where as the colour tourist poster would have been printer on a better paper so it lasted a bit longer say from April to September may be?

The whole issue of how long a poster was up for depends on how busy the station was, I can't speak for how things where done over in Ireland but it was a common practice that posters where pasted over an old one until they fell off.

After the war the quality of the wall poster decreased and it was common for after say 6 or 7 posters than the whole lot would just fall off the wall having been made wet so many times (the rain manly) which formed a pulp, in the 60's and 70's fly posting became a massive problem over here (and still is) so posters where made as cheap as possible since they only needed to stay up a few days at the most.  

10 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

That's a nice one to Bantry - apparently with a B1a up front!

Complete with what looks like a solid rake of "Silver Princes" stainless steel coaches 

As they say paper never refuses ink or electrons to get excited!

• Like 2

When I was planning to model Mohill I made a stab at producing the poster from the photograph. Without any idea what colour it should be I came up with this which doesn't look to bad when reduced to 4mm size.

Phil

CIE Poster 2.jpg

Edited by Phil3150
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Screenshot_20210712-201831_Gallery.thumb.jpg.de9cdb27c801bd5145631aa161f2e3bd.jpganother One from fred deans flicker, bias for my hometown is present 😭😭

I wonder if you could modify it for mohill or indeed any other station......ill get cracking 

If you were to flatten it out and scan the bottom part - the rest could be made up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil3150 said:

Yes, but we'd all jump at the chance to do it now!!

Well i can still get from cork to dromod by rail (for the most part) the issue is dromod-belturbet. I dont think nancy can get that far these days 😅

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

THAT is for CERTAIN!!

Plus a run in a brake van from Sligo Quay to Belfast on the cattle, or a jaunt in a six wheeler on the Clonakilty branch..........

If I had a time machine......

Id show him the Luas using the Harcourt Street line and give Colm Creedon 500 pounds in 1961 money i found on ebay. 

Not to mention all the places anyone would visit like Fintona, valentia and Inchicore in years past

I'm sure others can name countless other places

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...