Limerick to Foynes railway reopening plan

Rate this topic

On 3/9/2024 at 6:56 PM, Der Rechtsanwalt said:

Great video! Didn’t know they were bothering to rebuild the roof… Hardly as a preemptive station project…? Overnight loco storage maybe? Will there be a run around facility built at Foynes from the outset or are they waiting until they can bring the railhead to the dock itselfv

17 hours ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

Great video! Didn’t know they were bothering to rebuild the roof… Hardly as a preemptive station project…? Overnight loco storage maybe? Will there be a run around facility built at Foynes from the outset or are they waiting until they can bring the railhead to the dock itselfv

Are they going to rebuild the roof - demolishing it before it fell down is one thing - rebuilding it quite another!

22 hours ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

My understanding is that any potential restoration of the station is and will be an entirely separate issue to the relaying of the railway, as the station itself is not of actual practical use in any way and therefore not part of the railway relaying plan. The new terminus track layout will veer to the left of that picture, I understand.

The bigger issue, of course, is what actual traffic will operate on this newly reopened line. Thus far, precisely nothing concrete appears to have been mentioned anywhere. What will the line be used for on a day to day basis?

• Like 2

On 9/9/2024 at 7:16 PM, DERAILED said:

Are they going to rebuild the roof - demolishing it before it fell down is one thing - rebuilding it quite another!

4 minutes ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

According to the video sent by @Der Rechtsanwalt that’s what the clearance work on the old collapsed roof was for…!

Wonder who's picking up the tab for that? And what they're going to do with the restored roof / building?

• Like 1

It's likely that they will have to re-instate the canopy. Foynes Railway Station was declared a protected structure by Limerick County Council on 25th April 2005. This includes the signal box which dates from the 1850's. 

Here is more information on the station buildings.

https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/21829006/foynes-railway-station-main-street-gilltown-foynes-limerick

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 7:16 PM, DERAILED said:

a few indide lads i know have sayed that the roof will be rebuilt exactly as it was before. as far as i can tell it will be done as part of this project

• Like 1

On 12/9/2024 at 5:47 PM, irishrailways52 said:

a few indide lads i know have sayed that the roof will be rebuilt exactly as it was before. as far as i can tell it will be done as part of this project

Interesting - my sources suggested that these were entirely separate projects. Nothing at all of the old station will be anything to do with the new terminal, which in any case is slightly off to one side. Listed building or no, the main line network is awash with old stone buildings now locked up and uncared for, with buddleia growing in the stonework and cracking it, and roofs leaking. Clearly, if old buildings are not actually in daily use now, there seems to be no funding to care for them. And in reality, in cold, hard practical terms, the government subsidises IE to get people from A to B, not to look after historic buildings. That, one could almost think, would be one for the OPW.

Against that background, it is hard to see ho the Foynes relaying project could have anything whatever to do with any restoration of the Foynes station building.

Now, it may very well be, and hopefully it is, that they've combined the two - the actual railway, plus, as a separate issue, a listed building. But given the background, it's hard to see the two being connected.

51 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Interesting - my sources suggested that these were entirely separate projects. Nothing at all of the old station will be anything to do with the new terminal, which in any case is slightly off to one side. Listed building or no, the main line network is awash with old stone buildings now locked up and uncared for, with buddleia growing in the stonework and cracking it, and roofs leaking. Clearly, if old buildings are not actually in daily use now, there seems to be no funding to care for them. And in reality, in cold, hard practical terms, the government subsidises IE to get people from A to B, not to look after historic buildings. That, one could almost think, would be one for the OPW.

Against that background, it is hard to see ho the Foynes relaying project could have anything whatever to do with any restoration of the Foynes station building.

Now, it may very well be, and hopefully it is, that they've combined the two - the actual railway, plus, as a separate issue, a listed building. But given the background, it's hard to see the two being connected.

one can only hope the buildings on the down Galway platform at Mullingar will eventually get similar treatment, though I highly doubt it. The roof of the canopy is beginning to cave in.

57 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

one can only hope the buildings on the down Galway platform at Mullingar will eventually get similar treatment, though I highly doubt it. The roof of the canopy is beginning to cave in.

Again, it's like freight traffic. The government funds the railway to get passengers about, plus a few grudging logs and containers. The money doesn't stretch to anything else, nor is it intended to. So until or unless the subsidy increases, and the broad area of responsibility of IE changes to include redundant building stock; or a separate body like the OPW takes on responsibility for railwy structures no longer used, we may but watch Mullingar, Waterford signal cabin, and other places including Foynes station, just fall to bits.

The issue is central government funding, rather than any railway policy or practice. The NTA (No Trains Authority) will likewise have no role in this - though if they did, they'd probably convert the entire railway system into a greenway within the month.

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Again, it's like freight traffic. The government funds the railway to get passengers about, plus a few grudging logs and containers. The money doesn't stretch to anything else, nor is it intended to. So until or unless the subsidy increases, and the broad area of responsibility of IE changes to include redundant building stock; or a separate body like the OPW takes on responsibility for railwy structures no longer used, we may but watch Mullingar, Waterford signal cabin, and other places including Foynes station, just fall to bits.

The issue is central government funding, rather than any railway policy or practice. The NTA (No Trains Authority) will likewise have no role in this - though if they did, they'd probably convert the entire railway system into a greenway within the month.

The big question is whether the Irish voters would elect a Government that would raise taxes (income, rates and road user charges) to a level required to provide a Scandanavian standard of infrastructure, public services and maintain its heritage. Ireland has currently one of the lowest effective rates of income tax in the OECD at 15% compared with the 30+% rate in the early 1990s when IE still carried a fair amount of rail freight.

One of the biggest shocks I experienced after moving to New Zealand that although the tax rates (income & vat) were lower I ended up paying more tax than when I lived in Ireland or the UK. Tax was charged at a flat rate without a tax free allowance or Credits, Pension contributions, Mortgage Interest and Medical insurance contributions were not tax deductile. These days I pay more in rates on our family home (including subsidies for local bus and rail services) than I pay in income tax on a moderate income.

Again there seems to be an expectation that central government or 'someone else" should take responsibility for redundant rail structures rather than the local community getting involved and raising the funds.

Local communities on the Central Wales Line took ownership of maintaining stations and halts on the line the community of Dolores Colorado on the trackbed of the Rio Grande Southern built a replica of the old (ornate) railroad Depot and restored a Galloping Goose railcar largely out of their own resources with some state assistance https://www.gallopinggoose5.org/.  Is there anything to stop communities in Waterford, Foynes and Mullingar getting involved in the restoration of redunt buildings. Restoring the station and train shed would be small change to the Limerick-Foynes Port Company perhaps a local community heritage history group could get involved and estanbish a museum like the community of Kiltimagh did 30 odd years ago?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mayner said:

The big question is whether the Irish voters would elect a Government that would raise taxes (income, rates and road user charges) to a level required to provide a Scandanavian standard of infrastructure, public services and maintain its heritage. Ireland has currently one of the lowest effective rates of income tax in the OECD at 15% compared with the 30+% rate in the early 1990s when IE still carried a fair amount of rail freight.

One of the biggest shocks I experienced after moving to New Zealand that although the tax rates (income & vat) were lower I ended up paying more tax than when I lived in Ireland or the UK. Tax was charged at a flat rate without a tax free allowance or Credits, Pension contributions, Mortgage Interest and Medical insurance contributions were not tax deductile. These days I pay more in rates on our family home (including subsidies for local bus and rail services) than I pay in income tax on a moderate income.

Again there seems to be an expectation that central government or 'someone else" should take responsibility for redundant rail structures rather than the local community getting involved and raising the funds.

Local communities on the Central Wales Line took ownership of maintaining stations and halts on the line the community of Dolores Colorado on the trackbed of the Rio Grande Southern built a replica of the old (ornate) railroad Depot and restored a Galloping Goose railcar largely out of their own resources with some state assistance https://www.gallopinggoose5.org/.  Is there anything to stop communities in Waterford, Foynes and Mullingar getting involved in the restoration of redunt buildings. Restoring the station and train shed would be small change to the Limerick-Foynes Port Company perhaps a local community heritage history group could get involved and estanbish a museum like the community of Kiltimagh did 30 odd years ago?

Correct.

We have a predisposition here to expressing outrage when heritage matters are not paid for and carried out.

Like railway preservation, it’s never us that should cough up. It’s “someone”.

”Someone” always “should”, or better, “NEEDS” to do “something” about it; but any political party advocating just an extra 1% tax to address such things, will never get a single vote here.

Tis what it is……

• Like 2