Limerick to Foynes railway reopening plan

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Barl, you say Irish Cement are looking to burn residual recovered waste, what is that product? Not something I ever hauled to our local cement works!

Hi Mike, as far as I know it's a mixture of organic material and non-recyclable material left over after the waste recovery process (non-compostable and non-recyclable) so it can burn to a high temperature.

I think I read somewhere they had applied to the EPA to start using it at Mungret but when that happens I have no idea! I'd imagine it would be mixed with coal for a while to start but not sure of the process exactly.

This link has some good information https://www.irishcement.ie/sustainability/alternative-fuels/

Thanks for that info; Barl, very interesting. We used to haul Petcoke years ago. Its the final residue from oil refining and I knew of burning shredded rubber but I am surprised there is the thermal energy to produce cement in cardboard and plastics also meat and bone! Every days a school day!

On 16/11/2022 at 7:22 PM, jhb171achill said:

Good thinking, and a logical answer; but try running that past rural Ireland! You'll encounter a cabal of Abominable No Men, the likes of which Arleeen, Wee Sommy, Wee Doddsy and Sir Sanctimonious LondonJeffrey could never even dream of! 😉

Imagine the Healy-Raes getting involved....

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

Foynes Line Reconstruction

Work is due to commence on reconstruction of the Limerick to Foynes for freight traffic in the coming weeks. In advance of phase one of the project, vegetation clearance is already underway and it appears that the route has been fully cleared. The last train operated over the route in 2001 and the line has gradually fallen into disrepair over the last 21 years. The current phase of work that is about to begin and the subsequent phases will facilitate rail freight services, but will not preclude the possibility of passenger services being reintroduced on this line in the future, but this would require further infrastructure upgrades and funding. The Ryder Cup Golf tournament is to be held at Adare, which the railway passes through in 2027 and it is mooted that a passenger service will be reinstated for this between Adare and nearby Limerick City. 

I undertook a photographic survey of the route on Sunday 27th November from Limerick City to Foynes. With the route being upgraded to modern standards no doubt many of the features of the route at stations and level crossings will vanish over the next three years.

Click https://bit.ly/3UhlSGj to view all the images.

DSC_8046-S.jpg

DSC_8096-S.jpg

DSC_8128-S.jpg

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, thewanderer said:

Foynes Line Reconstruction

Work is due to commence on reconstruction of the Limerick to Foynes for freight traffic in the coming weeks. In advance of phase one of the project, vegetation clearance is already underway and it appears that the route has been fully cleared. The last train operated over the route in 2001 and the line has gradually fallen into disrepair over the last 21 years. The current phase of work that is about to begin and the subsequent phases will facilitate rail freight services, but will not preclude the possibility of passenger services being reintroduced on this line in the future, but this would require further infrastructure upgrades and funding. The Ryder Cup Golf tournament is to be held at Adare, which the railway passes through in 2027 and it is mooted that a passenger service will be reinstated for this between Adare and nearby Limerick City. 

I undertook a photographic survey of the route on Sunday 27th November from Limerick City to Foynes. With the route being upgraded to modern standards no doubt many of the features of the route at stations and level crossings will vanish over the next three years.

Click https://bit.ly/3UhlSGj to view all the images.

DSC_8046-S.jpg

DSC_8096-S.jpg

DSC_8128-S.jpg

Superb stuff, Neil! Wonder will they put the old overall roof at Foynes out of its misery...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Superb stuff, Neil! Wonder will they put the old overall roof at Foynes out of its misery...........

Quite likely, its a health and safety hazard. Whether they replace it, who knows, probably not, would be corrugated if they do.

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I wonder if its listed? They’d have to rebuild it if so.

Depends if it's the station building or specifically the train shed. Listed lodge cottage up the road was absolutely gutted in a rebuild, only original thing left was the front facade. 

Still good to see it lived in rather than rot but I digress.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, Westcorkrailway said:

Something I heard from my sources in East cork is that the laying of the Youghal greenway has caused a TB nightmare due to badgers being displaced.

The evidence for badger populations being responsible for the bTB persistence and periodic outbreaks in cattle has been regarded as circumstantial at best for many decades. Farming practices, circumvention of control measures and intra-herd spread are more likely. Badgers are a convenient culprit, like foxes that decimated domestic fowl populations, sea eagles that depleted fishing stocks and golden eagles that carried away flocks of sheep and small children. Luckily most  shot to extinction by the valiant Irish farmer 😕

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Considerable growth in the rail network in the Limerick area is proposed according to the latest issue of Railway Magazine. The already announced doubling of the line to Limerick Junction, plus re-opening the lines to Castlemungret and Adare to passenger traffic, two park and ride stations on the lines to Limerick Junction and Ballybrophy, a new station on the Ennis line and a rail link to Shannon airport. Big plans but then that is what is required to meet the challenge of combat global warming.

Stephen

Edited by StevieB
Spelling error
  • Like 7

On 12/1/2023 at 7:37 AM, StevieB said:

Big plans but then that is what is required to meet the challenge of combat global warming.

Well I think opening the Navan line’d be a start, maybe getting rid of a few lorries with more commitment to freight, maybe the Western Railway Corridor, some more stations, but knowing this country: that may take a long, long time…

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Now get the Youghal line reopened for commuters and seasonal tourist traffic to Cork. Madness to lose it to another daft greenway when the track bed is still intact and still owned by RPA. 

That ship has sailed for another 10-ish years. I could be wrong but for reasons I’ve flad I’m the past, it’s not going to be a run away success greenway….

the Cork and Macroom Direct railway will re-open before the youghal line….which I know is stretching the truth a little bit….but imagine telling somone that in the early 1990s 

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/rail-works-causing-homes-privacy-and-security-to-be-stripped-away/

Home owners: we need to meet climate targets and there's too many big lorries on the roads.

Also home owners: but a train driver will be able to see into my house now.

Some people seriously need to give their heads a wobble. I bet these same sorts would often be the ones using the railway at the end of their precious property as their own personal rubbish tip. Some cheeky sod in Foynes threw his busted home heating oil tank over the wall into the station yard no less.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1

All very valid comments above; the takeaway, though, is the mixture of apathy, lack of detailed knowledge, and actual aversion to railway development within the NTA. They make these announcements every few years - wasn't there one a while bacjk from some local politician in the west which stopped just a little short of claiming that the so-called "WRC" was going to fully reopen. Six-times-daily 36-wagon double-decker freight with electric locos to Swinford, Glockamorra or Manorhamilton, anyone?

Hate to be the cynic, but while ALL of the above-suggested are VERY valid and sensible ideas, the rate that our planning authorities move at, the pandering to local gombeen men and those who happliy annex parts of the railway while whinging about drivers seeing into their houses, and the shrill, sanctimonious antics of the lycra-greenway brigade, are all obstacles enough with out the eh, "assistance" of the NTA. What is needed is a fleet of bulldozers, and an exemption for all matters pertaining to planning permission, or any other type of permission, plus compulsory purchase orders dished out where needed and when needed - and no obligation for IE to have any "enquiries" or "local consultation" with "stakeholders". Just DO it. It's in the national interest.

In all, I will believe it when I see it. And I do not think that I will live that long. It took 40 years to reopen the Harcourt Street line. Not a sniff of a train to Navan, or how to overcome the car-park industry which doesn't like the idea of trains into Dublin  Airport.

• Like 2

On 16/1/2023 at 1:58 AM, jhb171achill said:

....What is needed is a fleet of bulldozers, and an exemption for all matters pertaining to planning permission, or any other type of permission, plus compulsory purchase orders dished out where needed and when needed - and no obligation for IE to have any "enquiries" or "local consultation" with "stakeholders". Just DO it. It's in the national interest....

In other words, be like China.

Actually, there's no need to emulate that autocracy.

When they decided to get on with Midleton -  Oliver Doyle and Co, spurred on their boss Dick Fearn, literally did sweep into Co Cork to bulldozer their way through the overgrowth to rediscover the trackbed. Jim Mead strikes me as a guy who will spur another generation to similar acts.

On 16/1/2023 at 1:58 AM, jhb171achill said:

What is needed is a fleet of bulldozers, and an exemption for all matters pertaining to planning permission, or any other type of permission, plus compulsory purchase orders dished out where needed and when needed - and no obligation for IE to have any "enquiries" or "local consultation" with "stakeholders". Just DO it. It's in the national interest.

And the times that happens, ends up with a piss poor infrastructure. I wouldn't trust parts of Irish Rail with those powers, too many hours of meetings spent with them as clients has been given over to inter company squabbling and empire building. NTA isn't the best at promoting the use of trains but then again that does come down to reading the tempetature of the local man on the street. The Irish want good public transport but not at the expense of the private car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Actually, there's no need to emulate that autocracy.

When they decided to get on with Midleton -  Oliver Doyle and Co, spurred on their boss Dick Fearn, literally did sweep into Co Cork to bulldozer their way through the overgrowth to rediscover the trackbed. Jim Mead strikes me as a guy who will spur another generation to similar acts.

Only because Midleton wanted it and was hoarse from shouting for it. Youghal on the other hand, couldn't care less. Railway...greenway...briars... like whatever man.

IR left to its own devices would never have reopened it.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Bit of an update on the project (from https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/limerick-to-foynes-on-track-for-reopening/😞

Key milestone reached in the project

Work began earlier this year on restoring the freight service and last week the Taoiseach said a commuter service on the line has not been ruled out. Iarnród Éireann says they are on track for the reopening of the Foynes to Limerick railway line. It's after a key milestone in the project was reached last week.

The 42km stretch of railway between Limerick and Foynes originally opened in 1858 but closed to passenger traffic in 1963 and was declared inactive in 2001.

Last week the River Maigue bridge at Adare was lifted out for restoration, which is said to be a key milestone for the project. 

Track laying will begin early next year and Iarnród Éireann say works are progressing well. Subject to funding allocation, phase two is expected to take 18 months to complete, and it's anticipated that the route will open for freight services in 2025.

Iarnród Éireann has said that works are progressing well on phase one of the reopening of the Foynes to Limerick railway line.  Last week, the River Maigue bridge at Adare was lifted out for restoration and repairs and it is anticipated that it will be reinstated early in 2024.  Work started on the project early this year. The construction strategy was to start the works in the Foynes area and then move eastwards in the direction of Limerick city. All the rail for the project and the first batch of new concrete sleepers have already been delivered to the site.

Site Clearance and removal of the existing track commenced in Spring 2023 and will be completed by the end of the year. Boundary fencing has commenced and is ongoing between Foynes Port and Adare, with large sections of palisade fencing, concrete post and wire fencing and timber post and wire fencing now complete. Works at Robertstown Viaduct have just commenced, beginning with the demolition of the existing structure. The new structure is programmed to be substantially complete by Spring 2024. 

Track excavation and earthworks are underway for the new track bed and ballast together with the installation of ducting & drainage pipes along the route. It is anticipated that track laying will commence early in 2024.

Phase two of the project will include the provision of a signalling system for the route, CCTV level crossings, train communications system and track connections and upgrades at Limerick and at Foynes Port. Subject to funding allocation for phase two it is expected that this work will take 18 months to complete, and it is anticipated that the route will open for freight services in 2025.

The 42km stretch of railway between Limerick and Foynes originally opened in 1858 but closed to passenger traffic in 1963. Freight services continued until 2001. When these services stopped the line was declared inactive, but the line remained under the stewardship of Iarnród Éireann. 

The project aligns with and supports Iarnród Éireann’s Rail Freight 2040 Strategy, and the recently launched strategic review of the Shannon Foynes Port Company Masterplan, Vision 2041. The reopening of the Limerick to Foynes rail line for freight services also satisfies several EU, national, regional, and local development objectives. The proposed project contributes to objectives of common interest with the EU as defined in Article 7 of the TEN-T guideline, with the following specific contributions:

• Interconnection of the modes of transport rail and ship services, promoting intermodal transport.
  • Promotion of environmental protection by strengthening freight transport via rail and sea rather than road transport.
  • Extension of interconnections.

Speaking this week Iarnród Éireann Chief Executive, Jim Meade said: “I am delighted to see how well work is progressing on this project. Major infrastructure upgrades such as the renovation of the Maigue bridge are key milestones for this project. I would like to commend my team, who are working on this project for their hard work and dedication and I look forward to  more sustainable rail freight services once again operating on this route in 2025”

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Mayner said:

Have IE/Shannon Foynes Port Company identified an actual freight flow/customer or allocated funding for terminal facilities when the line re-opens in 2025?

Maybe a case of 'build it and they will come' 😆

As mentioned in the piece, it goes with the EU's environmental goals

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...