Hornby 2013 range to be announced on Monday

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Hornby plan to announce their 2013 range on Monday at midday. It will be interesting to see if they have a year of consolidation or if they bring out some new locos. If internet rumours are to be believed the range has been leaked all ready and if the rumours are true then I'm going to be shelling out for a LNER P2 in original guise and a Duke of Gloucester. I hope the rumours are true!

Hornby plan to announce their 2013 range on Monday at midday. It will be interesting to see if they have a year of consolidation or if they bring out some new locos. If internet rumours are to be believed the range has been leaked all ready and if the rumours are true then I'm going to be shelling out for a LNER P2 in original guise and a Duke of Gloucester. I hope the rumours are true!

No official embargo this year Fran. They seriously need to get back to what they do best. It will be interesting to see if any new D&E models are to be announced.

Rich,

There is an embargo Rich, Monday at 12pm apparently. However, as per usual the info seems to have leaked. Apparently there'll be a sentinel industrial diesel shunter and a 2-BIL unit too for the D&E end. No idea on modern rolling stock. Those Mark II air cons and decent class 59 are still elusive. Hopefully Bachmann will look after them come March.

There is an embargo Rich, Monday at 12pm apparently. However, as per usual the info seems to have leaked. Apparently there'll be a sentinel industrial diesel shunter and a 2-BIL unit too for the D&E end. No idea on modern rolling stock. Those Mark II air cons and decent class 59 are still elusive. Hopefully Bachmann will look after them come March.

I'll be interested to see the Sentinel diesel... an interesting loco, and found widespread use in the industrial sector so it should prove popular. Smart move from Hornby.

Model Rail subscribers used to always get their mags before New Years Eve Fran. The Mods on Rmweb were always ready to pounce. I have to agree that all BR Diesel modellers are crying out for MK11D,E,F, coaches. Now that the BP is out of the way maybe Bachmann will decide to announce something. I wonder will they ever consider MK11B,C coaches to compliment the MK11A's. The 59 has to be the next diesel that Bachmann produce. They are one of my favorite UK diesel locos. Especially the earlier variants with the different light clusters.

Were the the first foray into GM built locos in the UK. Hornby should consider a new tooling for the MK111's to compliment the 43's as I can't see them stopping production of the old Airfix Dapol MK11D's. To be fair they were a great model for their era. Although the tumbledome always looked a bit suspect. I would have loved to have seen the MM MK11's produced as a one piece body and roof model as it might have been better than the current setup where some of the models suffer bowing when they are being released from the tooling.

Rich,

I'll be interested to see the Sentinel diesel... an interesting loco, and found widespread use in the industrial sector so it should prove popular. Smart move from Hornby.

I agree Pat. There aren't many more diesels left that can be produced. Unless some are retooled like the 59, Warship.

Rich,

Brilliant - thanks for the link warbonnet!

Love the look of the A4 display case :)

The Sentinel is very cute - you'd definitely have to have one :)

The silver jubilee railroad pack looks great value too

Nice new shunters truck

I see RailMaster gets an iphone app too.... and the 'e-link' - basically an elite controller with no buttons :) Clever...

Nice to see the MkIId standard class coach (ex-Airfix tooling) back in production. £28.49 not a bad price either.

I think that's a scandalous price personally! I've bought Bachmann Mark I's for almost a third of that price. An all singing, all dancing BR Mark II aircon range would be super. Over to you, Bachmann.

£28.49 = €35 - a good bit less than MM's version which, as RedRich says, seem to have some problems.

...I can't see them stopping production of the old Airfix Dapol MK11D's. To be fair they were a great model for their era. Although the tumbledome always looked a bit suspect. I would have loved to have seen the MM MK11's produced as a one piece body and roof model as it might have been better than the current setup where some of the models suffer bowing when they are being released from the tooling.

Rich,

Hattons have the First class version at £22 (= €27), so hopefully they will do the standards at a lower price also.

It will be interesting to see if the Sentinel opens up much of an interest in Industrial Railways, be nice if they do the version with outside cranks ;)

Widely used across industry (cement, motor industry, scrap yards, steelmaking, quarries, oil, Military Railways) both with traditional wagons and modern air braked stock, I wonder are any still in service?

£28.49 = €35 - a good bit less than MM's version which, as RedRich says, seem to have some problems.

Hattons have the First class version at £22 (= €27), so hopefully they will do the standards at a lower price also.

I know they're both Mark IIs but it's not really comparing like with like. The MM coaches are specifically Irish, with the detail unique to IE and made in much smaller numbers. They also have a lot more separately applied detail and have nicer detail in areas such as the ends (a weakpoint of the old Airfix Mark II in my opinion). I agree though that the Murphys coaches have their problems (I gave out enough about them when they came out).

Robert just put up a link on the bargain thread of a Bachmann Mark I for a tenner. With nicer detail than the Hornby coach that shows stunning value.

Mind you if you're happy to paint up a rake of the Hornby Mark IIs then happy days! I'd shop around and pick up a rake second hand though, save yourself a fortune!

+1 Mayner.

The Sentinels look well, hopefully they won't have the same flaws as the other 0-4-0s, stalling and going at 120mph scale speed.

There is still at least one or two steam Sentinels in everyday service in the 21st Century, somewhere in South America I think, undoubtably there would be a good few diesels still knocking about overseas.

Wonder why the Irish (steam) versions had such a short innings.

That LMS/BR van looks a bit like an NCC 'brown van', probably too long though.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

I know they're both Mark IIs but it's not really comparing like with like. The MM coaches are specifically Irish, with the detail unique to IE and made in much smaller numbers. They also have a lot more separately applied detail and have nicer detail in areas such as the ends (a weakpoint of the old Airfix Mark II in my opinion). I agree though that the Murphys coaches have their problems (I gave out enough about them when they came out).

Robert just put up a link on the bargain thread of a Bachmann Mark I for a tenner. With nicer detail than the Hornby coach that shows stunning value.

Mind you if you're happy to paint up a rake of the Hornby Mark IIs then happy days! I'd shop around and pick up a rake second hand though, save yourself a fortune!

I agree about the shortcomings of the Airfix models Fran. The corridor connections are wrong and there are no representations of the corridor connection doors. The underframe would have to be completely remodelled and fitted with correct boxes and a single fan unit from Hurst Models, instead of the double one that is on the model. The First class model would give you a more prototypical look to the IE versions as the toilet windows would be in the correct place. On the standard Airfix Dapol MK11's the toilet windows are positioned differently to ours as they are MK11 D's and ours seem to have MK11 E body type positioned toilets. Our MK11's also had rivets on the window surrounds. I remember comparing the MM standard model to a Dapol Second class last year and the positioning of the windows looked more correct on the Dapol models than the MM model.

When you access the work involved in getting a MK11 set modelled prototypically, and it would involve a huge amount of work when you factor in the work involved in having to model Composites, EGV's, and Restaurants, although they have some determining issues the MM models with work would be the best way to go. Although they won't be all singing and dancing dimensionally correct in some areas, if you can accept the errors and try to correct as many as you can they look OK.

Rich,

I agree about the shortcomings of the Airfix models Fran. The corridor connections are wrong and there are no representations of the corridor connection doors. The underframe would have to be completely remodelled and fitted with correct boxes and a single fan unit from Hurst Models, instead of the double one that is on the model. The First class model would give you a more prototypical look to the IE versions as the toilet windows would be in the correct place. On the standard Airfix Dapol MK11's the toilet windows are positioned differently to ours as they are MK11 D's and ours seem to have MK11 E body type positioned toilets. Our MK11's also had rivets on the window surrounds. I remember comparing the MM standard model to a Dapol Second class last year and the positioning of the windows looked more correct on the Dapol models than the MM model.

When you access the work involved in getting a MK11 set modelled prototypically, and it would involve a huge amount of work when you factor in the work involved in having to model Composites, EGV's, and Restaurants, although they have some determining issues the MM models with work would be the best way to go. Although they won't be all singing and dancing dimensionally correct in some areas, if you can accept the errors and try to correct as many as you can they look OK.

Rich,

But apart from that....

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't help myself =))

Taxi for Rob!