Halfords Grey Primer

Rate this topic

popeye

24 minutes ago, popeye said:

I called into Halfords today to get some grey primer.

For 500ml it used to be £7.49 but now it costs £11.99.

So I will be getting it elsewhere from now on. 😬

Hycote and Halfords are identical, made in the same factory, Hycote costs less. Available amazon.co.uk but extra brexit costs, Or bypass brexitistan and get equivalent plastic grey primer from amazon.de. If buying from UK An Post addresspal gets around hazchem barrier costs.

image.thumb.png.099ed649fad2b339bc21424450bef6bf.png

• Like 2

For that sort of money you can get an awful lot of primer for the airbrush and it lasts much longer as most of it ends up on the model rather than flying past it. I stopped priming with rattle cans once I realised how expensive it is. Just a thought but I don't want to disrupt the thread so carry on 🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

with most of these brands its the exact same product but in a different can. and that includes the dealz/poundland stuff thats 1.49 a can,  the dealz stuff however comes in an underfilled can with a terrible spray nozzle that clogs itself up for the fun of it.

Rumor has it that if you take a spray nozzle from one of these more expensive cans and put it onto the dealz can then the quality achieved from the dealz jobbie is increased significantly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

with most of these brands its the exact same product but in a different can. and that includes the dealz/poundland stuff thats 1.49 a can,  the dealz stuff however comes in an underfilled can with a terrible spray nozzle that clogs itself up for the fun of it.

Rumor has it that if you take a spray nozzle from one of these more expensive cans and put it onto the dealz can then the quality achieved from the dealz jobbie is increased significantly.

You can also buy "low pressure" spray nozzles that release less paint than the standard ones. They cost buttons on eBay. I tried this first before just abandoning rattle cans.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Keitheg6 said:

15 euros a can but worth every cent. 

Don't you just love this thanks Keith you made my evening, that's the sort of thing I say and people are so quick to try to correct me, but I know what I am saying thank once again love it😁   

Also make sure that you are not looking at the grey primer etcher they do as that is a bit more expensive that normal primer?

Colin 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Keitheg6 said:

u-pol grey primer power can, comes with a fan spray nozzle, top class stuff wouldn't use anything else , 15 euro a can but worth every cent. 

Quite agree i usually pick up a box of them at Beaulieu Autojumble each year use them on all the models as well as on all my vehicles from Austin to Land Rover via JowettAndy

9 hours ago, Andy Cundick said:

Quite agree i usually pick up a box of them at Beaulieu Autojumble each year use them on all the models as well as on all my vehicles from Austin to Land Rover via JowettAndy

Aye, much the same now. There aimed at professional use more than say halfords stuff. The biggest thing is nozzle cleaning, always do it! Wipe the lipstick off the dip stick... saves trouble later on 😅