Hattons - 6 wheel full brake 79 CIE black & tan

Rate this topic

Noel

I think that's the only one I don't have on pre-order as it's too late for my "alternate" era. I am collecting a few odds n' ends from the grey n' green now but drew the line there or else "era creep" sets in and before I know it I will be looking for original livery B141s!

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

35 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I think that's the only one I don't have on pre-order as it's too late for my "alternate" era. I am collecting a few odds n' ends from the grey n' green now but drew the line there or else "era creep" sets in and before I know it I will be looking for original livery B141s!

Give it time and you'll turn into a major creep!

Perhaps @BosKonay could merge this new thread with his original thread on the topic?

Likewise with the two threads on the Hornby Rustons?

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, Noel said:

Interesting spotted this little Irish gem on Hattons web site yesterday. Due middle of next winter apparently. Pre-Orders for now. Has a lighting option.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1056113/hattons_originals_h4_6fb_1703_6_wheel_full_brake_79_in_cie_black_tan/stockdetail

image.thumb.png.462c0b817f4ec5d240e8472451272e33.png

Yip have this on order along with a pack of green CIE ones.  Nice to see Hatton's supporting the Irish scene.

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 1

The only six-wheelers to enter the black’n’tan livery were about half a dozen full vans which survived the final cull of all remaining passenger-carrying 6-wheelers in 1963.

Two are known to have ended up black’n’tan. One or two more MIGHT have. The other one or two ended their lives still green, but within the black’n’tan era.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 3

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The only six-wheelers to enter the black’n’tan livery were about half a dozen full vans which survived the final cull of all remaining passenger-carrying 6-wheelers in 1963.

Two are known to have ended up black’n’tan. One or two more MIGHT have. The other one or two ended their lives still green, but within the black’n’tan era.

So we'd be a few years into the black n' tan era before any of these would have been repainted most probably or is there any evidence that any of these were repainted soon after the livery change?

2 hours ago, Moxy said:

According to this post from the other thread

It appears one was repainted as early as 1964.

Correct, you beat me to it!

Another was painted in very early 1963. So, 18, 69, 1077 and possibly 79 ended up BnT.

All ex-GSWR, all full brakes.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

So we'd be a few years into the black n' tan era before any of these would have been repainted most probably or is there any evidence that any of these were repainted soon after the livery change?

I’m not sure about that either. As far as I’m aware some of the older coaches were some of the first to be repainted! A proof few GSWR/GSR bogey coaches were painted black and tank in 1962/63 in cork. Though I could have sworn I’ve seen the livery on 6 wheelers in 1962. Why apply this livery to anchient coaches? I’m not sure. Maybe it was because they were due for a paint anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I’m not sure about that either. As far as I’m aware some of the older coaches were some of the first to be repainted! A proof few GSWR/GSR bogey coaches were painted black and tank in 1962/63 in cork. Though I could have sworn I’ve seen the livery on 6 wheelers in 1962. Why apply this livery to anchient coaches? I’m not sure. Maybe it was because they were due for a paint anyway.

They repainted a very few full vans as they knew they’d be using them a bit longer. And yes, it just so happened that all of these were GSWR in origin, even though there still the odd Midlland one about.

Since they knew that all passenger carrying 6-wheelers were for the chop, not one of those was ever black’n’tan even for a short time.

Many wooden-bodied bogies of all types became BnT. Mostly GSWR & GNR, but a handful of MGWR. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Branchline121 said:

Ok how have I missed this video - it's knockout!!  Thanks for sharing!!

Cracking variety of locations and motive power throughout, steam into Ardee, B&T diesel at Warrenpoint, NCC mogul on the Antrim branch....scenes at Pomeroy..... superb.

The early sequence (from around 01:00) of Newry Edward St. seems to have been taken post-1965 closure so after the rest of the footage I think?

I wonder were any forum members on board this wonderful outing..... did I notice an angelic @leslie10646 at one point I wonder....?

Fantastic video - getting another watch now :)

• Like 1