Hattons launch 'Irish' range of Genesis Coaches

Rate this topic

BosKonay

With the first of our newly tooled Genesis coaches now with customers, we have been inundated with suggestions for other liveries to produce. There has been one standout suggestion that we have decided to append onto our Batch 2 run, the Irish Railways CIE colours.

CIE had a fleet of 6-wheel coaches inherited from many of the old companies of Ireland, with the ex-GSWR fleet being one of the most prominent. This is what we have used for inspiration for the livery application for our coaches, as the features closely resemble the prototype.

We are not just producing 1 livery however, we are covering all 3 liveries that CIE used with this type of coach:

CIE Dark Green
Used until early 1960s

CIE Light Green
Late 1950s - Mid 1960s

CIE Black & Tan
Early 1960s (later for bogie vehicles)

hVDxC7czuG9IoqiOcsMKWrPacJeFOARa3fxnHKHOttQ_ZnjGzzmJVwgx4kdOppKUNWqLXuPz7bYvJ-N-uamhCJRawENmJo8vVJQop4KULBbmzwsx1cwIf_e3ogps3ZXaasx3qgdk23oLsj-nRCi4vmgsD70wa44jyeYoaNSCxKHBTcRBGUypoTovCyyWRQ

F6SHn_reiu4ANzY0NaFHI51avZGKB4-4A9OyeACw5XFUuwYq9Ll9ka3fhkPZt57PNzt4LUv-ZL9TKYUFnWNEB-QIFCNN8G3RKZjTdrFolsGvGr0-WGHM_QaH1UouK0JHwv2DsrvfLIFgp7sXKidIp3wl85u0qzqM6_uKMvPaqu3w0BcebRGZv8l95shD-A

Ong1UVqVMJf22b6Lp2-9BBIUcEYOSr2wdgljzjpHeeeQmlnUuijmmI61u3Ka1bGwXQaqqyMu1b0DhDhQ40Jjmp8umsWZmZcPCysOGs6KX8NFjXybNv-kep3WzoA17d8lYZ_5lAHZKNnpREY2f1BMSr18cF05idDse7sVWzhzKrWvXaRxhcWITMs7H-R-KA

These liveries represent the full lives of these coaches with CIE and cover an era of railways which, in the UK, had not seen a non-bogie coach for many years.

These coaches are priced the same as the rest of the range, with single coaches available at £33 and a pack of 4 (in Dark Green livery only) priced at £120.

As with our other batch 2 coaches, these will all be supplied unlit, with optional lighting packs available. All coaches will require the H4-GL-6 pack, with the Dark Green pack of 4 coaches requiring 4 of these units to function.

These coaches will be available in Late 2023/Early 2024 along with the other liveries already announced in Batch 2. Numbers will be strictly limited and with the success of Batch 1, we recommend ordering soon to avoid disappointment.

(For clarity too, Hattons are not wholesaling these, so they will NOT be for sale on irishRailwaymodels.com )

Mr Beaumont isn't on line, otherwise we'd have got an answer on the accuracy by now! Wake up JB!

But if the dark green / Eau de Nil version is as good as Tony Mirolo's ones on "The Quiet Man" layout at Raheny, they'll more than "do".

I can see a dark green set being ordered for GAA specials arriving at Portadown (ECS from Armagh?) having come over the Cavan line ......

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

7 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Mr Beaumont isn't on line, otherwise we'd have got an answer on the accuracy by now! Wake up JB!

But if the dark green / Eau de Nil version is as good as Tony Mirolo's ones on "The Quiet Man" layout at Raheny, they'll more than "do".

I have tangible evidence to say JB probably had a hand in accuracy in these coaches 😉

7 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

They are ‘generic’ coaches so not especially accurate to any company. However, they will make an extremely attractive consist and the quality finish will make them blend in with other Irish stock. Put it this way, they look more convincing than those old Lima Mk1s in orange and black …..

First piece of period mass produced rolling stock for Silver and green A class locos since the Bachmann/MM coaches

Edited by Westcorkrailway

Yes great news 6 wheel coaches to go with all the OO Works and SSM's J15 locos out there. Happy Days, now the early steam era is covered and the 'Quiet Man' trains can be reenacted on layouts. Keen price too for a set of 4

image.thumb.png.a1df84bcaa92e9e3510dc7cb400cd00e.png

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/article?id=1276&utm_source=klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=modvehid5011-hattonsgenesiscieannouncement&_kx=knwJxH1GcmmbtDjoANWwf_dp-fR1jFsmFdZ7b6nUZWc%3D.JGQeXh

image.thumb.png.0877f0dc5729fd9759d8442861280cca.png

• Like 2

The comments of Jim McGeown, who makes a similar range in 7mm, are always worth reading on this, emphasis mine: 

Although based on prototypes the concept of these coach kits is that they are very generic and represent typical coaches that were built by all the railway companies. 

These kits have been designed to provide the modeller with an economical coach that can be built in a reasonable weekend modeling session to a level of detail suitable for running on a layout. The modeller can then paint the coach in their chosen railways livery.

By painting and lettering in say LNER brown livery a set of these coaches will capture the look and feel of a typical LNER rural branch line train made up of inherited pre grouping coaches.

Your friends will probably make comments like "I see that you have modeled the coaches used on the Campbellwick Green branch in October 1936". You can then nod sagely and secretly smile to yourself knowing that the most distinguishing thing about coaches is their colour and lettering.

Painted chocolate and cream they have the look of some of the South Wales railway companies coaches that were absorbed by the Great western and painted LMS maroon a Midland appearance and so on. The possibilities for these coaches is only limited by your imagination.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Could any of the resident experts say which of these are genuinely close to Irish prototypes? I am thinking about one or two for the display case. I assume these cannot be regauged to 21mm without major surgery.

Yes. They are very similar to one long-lived GSWR design, and carry numbers and liveries of exact examples which were still about post-1954 or so. A MUST-buy!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

The comments of Jim McGeown, who makes a similar range in 7mm, are always worth reading on this, emphasis mine: 

Although based on prototypes the concept of these coach kits is that they are very generic and represent typical coaches that were built by all the railway companies. 

These kits have been designed to provide the modeller with an economical coach that can be built in a reasonable weekend modeling session to a level of detail suitable for running on a layout. The modeller can then paint the coach in their chosen railways livery.

By painting and lettering in say LNER brown livery a set of these coaches will capture the look and feel of a typical LNER rural branch line train made up of inherited pre grouping coaches.

Your friends will probably make comments like "I see that you have modeled the coaches used on the Campbellwick Green branch in October 1936". You can then nod sagely and secretly smile to yourself knowing that the most distinguishing thing about coaches is their colour and lettering.

Painted chocolate and cream they have the look of some of the South Wales railway companies coaches that were absorbed by the Great western and painted LMS maroon a Midland appearance and so on. The possibilities for these coaches is only limited by your imagination.

This exact sentiment I agree with. I had a discussion with somone about this at raheeny. At the end of the day these coaches were very similar, mostly minor differences between them all and from a distance…it would be very hard to tell if they were all in different liveries 

0E462140-C1A6-46CD-9099-B400F35863E5.thumb.jpeg.3d1bd75a3f220dffba2e0084d009bde7.jpeg

What these coaches provide is something I would’ve died for when I started Irish modeling 3 years ago. A cheap way to make 1950s rolling stock that will suit steam and diesel alike from this period. These are the first mass produced coaches suitibe for A1, A30 and any Irish steak loco alongside a major upgrade for A46, A42, B121 and B135 (and that’s not including the single Black and Tan inclusion) . And any loco of course produced in the future compatible for this coach. 

Just seen @jhb171achill has posted I’m sure he has said what I was going on to say! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes. They are very similar to one long-lived GSWR design, and carry numbers and liveries of exact examples which were still about post-1954 or so. A MUST-buy!

Cheers JB, I can't use them on the planned 21mm layout but they are worth supporting so I have ordered the 4 pack for the display case 🙂 I know these are "just repaints" but it's a good sign of a growing market for Irish RTR.

• Like 3

Without stirring the pot..

IRM moved some track panels for Maam when they released the As, supported Tailte tours on their inaugural run and dontated funds from the sale of ballasts to the DCDR to preserve the real thing..

Wonder if hattons could be convinced to contribute towards rescuing a 6 wheeler, there is a suitable candidate just down the road from Maam after all!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

58 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Just ordered the 4-pack of dark green and 3 light green coaches…..now all I need is laminates and/or Park Royal’s and I can flog on my CIE BR mark 1 coaches 

Ordered. Agree Park Royals and/or laminates after the 22k would be a long held wish

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

Well thats interesting. Not quite the WCIR triple packs I'm hoping for, but these are tempting 😝

Does anyone know if the carriages in the 4-pack are numbered differently to the carriages sold individually?

Can't see anything on the Website that suggest the numbers? Weird, I don't want to end up with Duplicates.

• Agree 1