Hattons launch 'Irish' range of Genesis Coaches

Rate this topic

BosKonay

9 hours ago, Ironroad said:

A little off topic, but speaking of that sense of being separate and independent,  about 15 years ago I flew from Dublin to Cork and was asked for my passport on arrival !!!!!!!!!!

Lishen, boi. Ye are in Caaaarkk now, so to hill wit dem ****** jackeens, ok?  Ye are nowww in DE REEEEEEEEEL KAPPITAL, boi!!!!

• Funny 3

Nice to see another company doing Irish railways. Yes they might no be totally accurate but they do look super and will fit on my early 60 layout with a 121 class.

Well done Hatton's, now how about some freight stock and maybe have a go at redoing the 141 class. Ok just dreaming 

Edited by Dave Dawes
  • Like 2

No need to dream Dave, the 141 is being rerun next year by PM and IRM are constantly releasing new freight stock so bide your time.

Aside and not directed at your comment Dave: Without being in any way disrespectful to Hattons who have announced some very fine models here (with ample consultation of a very knowledgeable forum member), we should bear in mind that it was two Irish companies that finally delivered a suite of high quality RTR stock to us. If we had waited for a GB manufacturer to cater to the Irish market we'd still be waiting and Hattons would not have produced these coaches because there would have been no market to cater to. So while I welcome some "bits n pieces" from new to the scene RTR manufacturers, I think our core support belongs with PM and IRM. It's better for the future of our hobby if we patiently wait for these companies to release the models we want. This is not a dig at anyone or any firm, just a statement of what I believe to be fact. Have a nice weekend folks 😊

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

As a mini teaser, IRM has 13 new tooled lines to launch lining up for the coming year, as well as delivering on the ICR, mk2b and 2c and much more :) A little something for everyone too. 

Oh, you do like to tease us with your little snippets.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

As a mini teaser, IRM has 13 new tooled lines to launch lining up for the coming year, as well as delivering on the ICR, mk2b and 2c and much more :) A little something for everyone too. 

The fact that it's 13 NEW tooled LINES is quite scary. Not 13 products throughout the year, but lines, excluding re-runs like Bubbles. Time for hardcore austerity measures.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

I decided to take a chance on the convertibility of these to 21mm and have pre-ordered one of each, except the B&T one which is too late for my chosen era (the "green and grey era"). If, for whatever reason they are a mare to convert, I suspect I will have no trouble off-loading these as by all accounts the run is not huge and I expect them to sell like hot cakes to be honest.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, murphaph said:

No need to dream Dave, the 141 is being rerun next year by PM and IRM are constantly releasing new freight stock so bide your time.

Aside and not directed at your comment Dave: Without being in any way disrespectful to Hattons who have announced some very fine models here (with ample consultation of a very knowledgeable forum member), we should bear in mind that it was two Irish companies that finally delivered a suite of high quality RTR stock to us. If we had waited for a GB manufacturer to cater to the Irish market we'd still be waiting and Hattons would not have produced these coaches because there would have been no market to cater to. So while I welcome some "bits n pieces" from new to the scene RTR manufacturers, I think our core support belongs with PM and IRM. It's better for the future of our hobby if we patiently wait for these companies to release the models we want. This is not a dig at anyone or any firm, just a statement of what I believe to be fact. Have a nice weekend folks 😊

Phil, I agree with almost all of what you’re saying but the problem is that while IRM have hinted at producing everything in good time, we have no timeline for what will be produced if ever. I understand the economics of volume production but the simple fact is people have begged for additional stock from an earlier era and that has not been realized presumably because it is not economically viable unless it has a UK equivalent somewhere to make it a viable. The A class  lasted well into the post 70s era which made it viable to produce in earlier liveries while most of IRMs offering continue to be new or rerun offerings after that. I have every IRM offering except the original Tara’s, with several doubles so pleas didn’t come in here saying I should support Irish. Like a decade ago I, like many of you, will settle once again for a British approximation for an Irish prototype in the absence of anything better to run.  I have purchased all of these genesis coaches in Irish livery, double on the BnT brake to have some stock to pull. In this respect, not so much has changed since the Lima Class 33 for the pre 70s Irish scene.

When you look at the price of the Hattons offering in Sterling and add the light kit which you’d expect from any IRM offering that’s quite a lot for a two or triple pack of Irish coaches. I’d have preferred to pay more than that for something prototypically Irish. Maybe still not viable based on numbers, sure.

7 hours ago, BosKonay said:

If you’re teasing under this thread and thinking of any earlier period prototypical offerings you could do worse than to announce that before people spent their hard earned cash on something they’d want to offload load in return. Whole load of wasted time and postage and not feasible for those outside the Brexit/eurozone. I understand the several reasons the any company would want to keep some announcements to itself but the change in delaying announcements (except the Class 89 of course) until tooling has exacerbated this uncertainty for the Irish model consumer. It’s hard to support Irish products that are not in the known pipeline. 

• Agree 1

I think almost anything from the mid 50's is commercially viable nowadays as we have the RTR locomotives out there in the wild and the odds of a C Class are not insignificant (a locomotive that was withdrawn before IE came into existence). I entered the hobby wanting to do only 90's IE stuff. Then along came those delightful silver and green A's, so I bought A1, A30, A42 and A46 and then as I believed that the stock will eventually become available I bought B121 and B135. I strongly suspect I am not the only one who is now looking at earlier stuff too. It will take some time but I am personally fairly confident that this era at least will in time be well catered to by IRM. I do not believe, for example, that 3 packs of open plank wagons or 2 axle covered wagons wouldn't sell very well at this stage. They even have an advantage over bogie stock for those tight on space. This "moving back in time" phenomenon happened with GB outline modellers too. I suspect that we will definitely see bogie coaching stock from the mid 50's as this also had a long life into CIE and in some cases IR days, like the A's. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

An important part of customer service is to under-promise, then over-deliver.  And, speaking personally, this is the classic psychological "marshmallow test" of one's ability to delay immediate gratification for the likelihood of greater future gratification.   

I'm looking forward to whatever Murphy Models and Irish Railway Models might bring forth in the next few years that's finely detailed and authentically Irish.  I'm especially intrigued by the employment of a designer with narrow gauge steam railway modelling expertise.

• Like 3

While we sympathize with those wishing to plan ahead there is little point in us telling you what we have underway when you won’t see half of it for another two years? By announcing when either tooling is started or finished (like the ICR) we feel a delivery of about a year away is just about fair for everyone. Much longer and we are just landgrabbing with ‘vapour’ and much less and it’s harder to plan and budget for our customers. 
There is a fine line to thread but we have plans to make the waiting worthwhile and a range that will grow and widen to encompass the last 100 years (or more) of key Irish prototypes done to a high standard of detail and technology and accuracy we can all be proud of as Irish modellers. 
While crossover with UK outline helps things like the mk2b or c coaches, we’d have never done the A or the ICR or most of what’s coming in the next year if that was our only plan :)

Even Irish narrow gauge now has a few champions on the team ! One never knows what the future might bring, but it will be fun  

21 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

While we sympathize with those wishing to plan ahead there is little point in us telling you what we have underway when you won’t see half of it for another two years? By announcing when either tooling is started or finished (like the ICR) we feel a delivery of about a year away is just about fair for everyone. Much longer and we are just landgrabbing with ‘vapour’ and much less and it’s harder to plan and budget for our customers. 
There is a fine line to thread but we have plans to make the waiting worthwhile and a range that will grow and widen to encompass the last 100 years (or more) of key Irish prototypes done to a high standard of detail and technology and accuracy we can all be proud of as Irish modellers. 
While crossover with UK outline helps things like the mk2b or c coaches, we’d have never done the A or the ICR or most of what’s coming in the next year if that was our only plan :)

Even Irish narrow gauge now has a few champions on the team ! One never knows what the future might bring, but it will be fun  

I have decided that I'm going to wait for the Irish mainline electric locos now - so that I can buy some food and have the heating back on at the weekends.

• Funny 2

13 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Is that one a month, every month for the next year 🤔 fine by me 😂 

Need to sell the dishes to make room for them all, job lot and the dishwasher go's free, she'll probably leave by next year anyway 😂

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 19/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, DJ Dangerous said:

The fact that it's 13 NEW tooled LINES is quite scary. Not 13 products throughout the year, but lines, excluding re-runs like Bubbles. Time for hardcore austerity measures.

Wow lots to look forward to!

While personally delighted with being able to run full Irish Trains I fear People only can take on so much spending, especially even in part monthly payments, MM stuff and other bits n bobs not too mind finishing a layout!  

The ICR's pushed me over the sensible monthly limit with Mk.2s and Banana vans on order so I stopped there without a purchase of an ICR, I think I have enough Flat/Bubs/Ferts as well as this stage. 

I'll look forward to seeing what will be coming out in future and choose carefully, but I think I'll hover at the CIE to IE Era as the operating era. Tis a bit more fun me thinks.

I'll leave the railcars to the kids and watch that fun on U tube.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Wow lots to look forward to!

While personally delighted with being able to run full Irish Trains I fear People only can take on so much spending, especially even in part monthly payments, MM stuff and other bits n bobs not too mind finishing a layout!  

The ICR's pushed me over the sensible monthly limit with Mk.2s and Banana vans on order so I stopped there without a purchase of an ICR, I think I have enough Flat/Bubs/Ferts as well as this stage. 

I'll look forward to seeing what will be coming out in future and choose carefully, but I think I'll hover at the CIE to IE Era as the operating era. Tis a bit more fun me thinks.

I'll leave the railcars to the kids and watch that fun on U tube.

IRM is making us cement our eras! 

tbf say if you exclusivly model CIE-IE of those new announcements only 3-5 should be IE…with room for stuff newer and stuff older (maybe a CB&SCR 4 wheel coach withdrawn during the emergency 😁😁

and now NIR modeling is getting a larger base. There is a few people who want/can afford overlapping lots of era’s or every era but that isn’t most people  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I'd put money down that IRM will soon release a brake van. Something long lived that carried various liveries, from the days of steam up to the seventies. Might be sold individually or might be bundled with a few 5 plank opens, whichever makes the most sense financially.

Steam to seventies means, quite simply, the standard CIE vans!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Placed my pre-order with Hattons for the 4 pack, I'm sure they will be excellent models. Kicking myself now I didn't buy a silver A class, I was tempted but resisted, lesson learnt - Never Resist Temptation. Just hoping someone releases a silver C class soon.

I'm also delighted to hear MM are doing another 141 as I missed the first time round.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, raymurph said:

Placed my pre-order with Hattons for the 4 pack, I'm sure they will be excellent models. Kicking myself now I didn't buy a silver A class, I was tempted but resisted, lesson learnt - Never Resist Temptation. Just hoping someone releases a silver C class soon.

I'm also delighted to hear MM are doing another 141 as I missed the first time round.

You should ask Chris Dyer if he has any A30's left.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, murphaph said:

You should ask Chris Dyer if he has any A30's left.

Mr Wrenneire, of this parish, should be able to assist also.

1 hour ago, raymurph said:

They are doing several variations, too! Excellent news. I'll be after a BnT No. B147.........

• Like 3

On 19/11/2022 at 6:54 PM, BosKonay said:

100 years back? That possibly takes in my whole range.

Like than Roman chap who went back to his plough, I think I'll get back to writing up my logbooks and leave you guys to it!

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 6:54 PM, BosKonay said:

Highly encouraging news, and a good strategy. Everyone here is familiar with threads that go on for years and years with "Any news on the model of XYZ which was announced in 2016?"............

The thought of the "grey'n'green" era getting the attention it richly deserves is particularly encouraging; it's equivalent in peruiod in Brexitstan not only gets attention, but seems to be the long-standing mainstay of the hobby for many.

With the excellent development work of the likes of KMCE and early DSER / DWWR goods stock, and Hatton's Irish six-wheelers, and 00 Works several Irish steam engines, we're not far away from looking at the "Grey'n'maroon" era - the GSR period 1925-45.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

100 years back? That possibly takes in my whole range.

Like than Roman chap who went back to his plough, I think I'll get back to writing up my logbooks and leave you guys to it!

Cincinnatus ? That old Inst classical education left its mark Leslie ….although I think you’ll leave the logbooks when IRM roll out that S class in lined blue with sound..,,,

• Agree 2