Clogherhead - A GNR(I) Seaside Terminus

Rate this topic

A LIVERY OBSERVATION

Thanks to the many excellent posts on this forum, I think I am becoming increasingly aware of the importance of getting the livery of a model as accurate as possible.  Consider these two photos, showing two examples of the same model, both of which were bought recently on higher perches.  The first one was shown here before, and thanks to an excellent and very constructive observation from @David Holman, I accepted that there was a slight inaccuracy in the livery - many shanks to David for that (and he is not to be blamed for this post!)  The second view shows the second model with the livery corrected.  Definitely tickled pink with the result.

The importance of getting the livery correct is considerable - you don't, for example, want your efforts to reveal that you may have right wing or left wing leanings, and you want to beak sure that your models soar highly - the best painting technique I have found is to be as light as a feather, this is a primary concern.  You don't after all want people to see your work as being far down the pecking order, and worst of all, to consider you as being somewhat gullible.

IMG_6895.JPG

IMG_6896.JPG

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

15 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

A LIVERY OBSERVATION

Thanks to the many excellent posts on this forum, I think I am becoming increasingly aware of the importance of getting the livery of a model as accurate as possible.  Consider these two photos, showing two examples of the same model, both of which were bought recently on higher perches.  The first one was shown here before, and thanks to an excellent and very constructive observation from @David Holman, I accepted that there was a slight inaccuracy in the livery - many shanks to David for that (and he is not to be blamed for this post!)  The second view shows the second model with the livery corrected.  Definitely tickled pink with the result.

The importance of getting the livery correct is considerable - you don't, for example, want your efforts to reveal that you may have right wing or left wing leanings, and you want to beak sure that your models soar highly - the best painting technique I have found is to be as light as a feather, this is a primary concern.  You don't after all want people to see your work as being far down the pecking order, and worst of all, to consider you as being somewhat gullible.

IMG_6895.JPG

IMG_6896.JPG

What about lining & numerals?

Does it need a flying snail (for lunch)?

• Funny 3

Two contrasting additions to the Clogherhead roster - an ancient ex-GSWR 10-ton brake van, in faded GSR livery with the recently-applied CIE flying snail, plus a not-so-ancient CIE double beet wagon.  There wasn’t much beet traffic from CHD but these wagons were occasionally seen on the sand traffic. 

Many thanks to Alan Nixon @Tullygrainey for finishing off the finer details of the brake van for me and to Leslie @leslie10646 for producing the excellent kit.  Also thanks to Eamonn Redmond @enniscorthyman for the very generous donation of the beet wagon and chassis. The body is a superb 3D print by Enda Byrne.

C5B7937B-F241-48E5-83DB-F9864F1327D3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The sun is shining again in Clogherhead and I see your beautiful gull, correctly liveried, is enjoying the rays. However, I am very concerned that there is no guard in the van! Those A class look fab.

• Funny 1

59 minutes ago, TimO said:

The sun is shining again in Clogherhead and I see your beautiful gull, correctly liveried, is enjoying the rays. However, I am very concerned that there is no guard in the van! Those A class look fab.

He's inside it finishing his sandwich and tea!

On 1/7/2024 at 7:49 PM, Patrick Davey said:

Also working my way through one of @leslie10646’s kits - the elderly CIE 10-ton brake van. 

F08669AB-B7BC-4BE0-8799-79C0D1A000AB.jpeg

Very useful van indeed. Several just about made it into the 1960s, so can certainly be seen with A, C, G, & B101 classes plus anything steam.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

18 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

He's inside it finishing his sandwich and tea!

Very useful van indeed. Several just about made it into the 1960s, so can certainly be seen with A, C, G, & B101 classes plus anything steam.

Still got some kits, of this nice brakevan -  by post to UK, or I'll reserve to be picked up on the Smaller Island when I take a holiday there in late October ,,,,,,,

• Like 3

HIGH SUMMER AT CLOGHERHEAD

It’s July 18th 1956 and the morning GNR goods from Drogheda arrives into Clogherhead, hauled by T2 442t No. 64. The loco needs to shunt her train into the bay platform pretty sharpish this morning because a CIÉ special is due to arrive from Bray, Co. Wicklow. Once the goods train has been shunted into the bay platform, unloading can commence - the Clogherhead goods shed was closed 10 years earlier and the very sparse goods traffic is now handled at the main station. Shortly, the special arrives, hauled by one of CIÉ’s brand new A class diesel locomotives, No. A30, and the train is interestingly made up of elderly GNR stock.

Later, No. 64 departs for Drogheda and A30 brings her empty train back to Dublin, having successfully brought her happy sunseeking holidaymakers to the coast of County Louth, where they will enjoy the delights of warm golden sand and sweet-tasting candy floss for a few hours, before A30 returns to bring them all home again.

Simpler times indeed.
  • Like 11
  • WOW! 2

I see they've taken to stabling Kingscourt / Taras locos there overnight.....

I'm just imagining it. You're thrown out of the local Tamango's night club at 1 a.m. for throwing beer mats at the disco ball to try to impress that young wan over there from Duleek. You have to walk home, becasue your mate with the Austin 1100 with the bald tyres is still in there, and he disappeared with her friend. Chips at the caravan at the end of the road, and the sea air and chill, the seagulls in the distance, waves crashing on the shore, tonight's plans in tatters. But listen also - there's the ongoing throb of two A's up in the station, a dull background noise to the night air.

Better luck next week; well, you've saved £3 or more by not having to buy more pints and a glass of Black Tower for the lady.... at over 45p a time, it's getting expensive these days....

Tell you what, let's take a quick run up to the station and see if anyone's about.... I did think I saw A3R on the Kingscourt gypsum yesterday morning...

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3

8 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I see they've taken to stabling Kingscourt / Taras locos there overnight.....

Always a mine of information JB!  Where did you dig that one up?  Bursting at the seams here with laughter. Ore maybe not……

• Funny 4

Trouble with the neighbours at Clogherhead tonight….

This evening, locomotive A15 is on late evening manoeuvres at Clogherhead station, following a recent overhaul at Inchicore.  All her systems are being thoroughly tested, which inevitably creates a lot of noise.  Normally this wouldn’t be an issue in this remote part of County Louth but tonight there are evening devotions taking place above in the chapel, and Fr. Ray Codd is not amused by the frequent interruptions to the singing of his choir by the revving Crossley engine and the piercing horns.  Presently, Fr. Codd emerges from the church, in full regalia, and the threat of a strongly worded letter making its way to the CIE board will be enough to make the loco team shut A15 down for the night.  

11B2C06C-790C-4EB5-A6A8-E6E6485139A5.jpeg

9ADD0F03-2EEB-4F35-A258-6C6D2A8CC8D7.jpeg

9281440E-4BEF-428B-AADA-C7F8922EF4C3.jpeg

289EFDAB-DA59-4382-98BE-E1B6EF4641C2.jpeg

07D85B03-6F5A-4E88-B45F-E20DB1758A10.jpeg

B809E9BB-7158-4718-910C-C4E8149D066D.jpeg

2F1FC663-8F1C-4853-8EE7-D0E784961DB8.jpeg

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Trouble with the neighbours at Clogherhead tonight….

This evening, locomotive A15 is on late evening manoeuvres at Clogherhead station, following a recent overhaul at Inchicore.  All her systems are being thoroughly tested, which inevitably creates a lot of noise.  Normally this wouldn’t be an issue in this remote part of County Louth but tonight there are evening devotions taking place above in the chapel, and Fr. Ray Codd is not amused by the frequent interruptions to the singing of his choir by the revving Crossley engine and the piercing horns.  Presently, Fr. Codd emerges from the church, in full regalia, and the threat of a strongly worded letter making its way to the CIE board will be enough to make the loco team shut A15 down for the night.  

11B2C06C-790C-4EB5-A6A8-E6E6485139A5.jpeg

9ADD0F03-2EEB-4F35-A258-6C6D2A8CC8D7.jpeg

9281440E-4BEF-428B-AADA-C7F8922EF4C3.jpeg

289EFDAB-DA59-4382-98BE-E1B6EF4641C2.jpeg

07D85B03-6F5A-4E88-B45F-E20DB1758A10.jpeg

B809E9BB-7158-4718-910C-C4E8149D066D.jpeg

2F1FC663-8F1C-4853-8EE7-D0E784961DB8.jpeg

What if the driver's an atheist.......

• Funny 3

CLOGHERHEAD SAND TRAFFIC

The GNR had obtained a license from Louth County Council to extract a small annual tonnage of sand from Clogherhead beach.  The Clogherhead sand saw light usage, such as in fire buckets and flower beds, and also for light maintenance and repair jobs around the GNR system.  Usually a single open wagon was all that was needed for each sand run and this was brought to the station along with a brake van.  Once the brake van had been shunted clear, the open wagon was shunted into the sand loading bank.  Once the loading of the sand was complete, the brake van was attached to the other end of the wagon, and both vehicles were brought into the platform road before the locomotive ran around.  The sand was brought to Drogheda for onward distribution.  In CIE days the procedure was much the same, except that the motive power was usually a 121 class, and the sand was transported in one or more Bulleid open wagons.

• Like 9
  • WOW! 2