The Tralee and Dingle Railway - NEW IRISH RAILWAY BOOK

Rate this topic

leslie10646

I'm not sure how many narrow gauge fans are on this site, but if we broad gauge types thought life was expensive  - then think again!

DS002031.thumb.jpg.1db8ea105172de202cc08b26654c9e8a.jpg

DS002033.thumb.jpg.8c1b921d9bd218bc5d71bad0570b887e.jpg

A mere 352 pages, with exquisitely reproduced photos (almost one on every page) of both the Railway and the area it served. Michael has made use of research done by his late father, the famous PB Whitehouse who produced a slim hiistory with help from John Powell. Others have followed them including David Rowlands and Cork's own Walter McGrath. The photos are by "everybody who was anybody" in the railway photography field up to 1955.

At sixty pounds, it is easily the most expensive Irish railway book to date. However, if you want a copy, PM me and I may be able to soften the blow, especially if I can hand you a copy, rather than post it. I'll supply post free to UK only -  although I understand that a bookshop in Tralee should have copies. And I could bring some to Blackrock in the Autumn.

Needles to say, I haven't read it - I have two others to finish first, including Tony's.

• WOW! 1

8 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

I'm not sure how many narrow gauge fans are on this site, but if we broad gauge types thought life was expensive  - then think again!

DS002031.thumb.jpg.1db8ea105172de202cc08b26654c9e8a.jpg

DS002033.thumb.jpg.8c1b921d9bd218bc5d71bad0570b887e.jpg

A mere 352 pages, with exquisitely reproduced photos (almost one on every page) of both the Railway and the area it served. Michael has made use of research done by his late father, the famous PB Whitehouse who produced a slim hiistory with help from John Powell. Others have followed them including David Rowlands and Cork's own Walter McGrath. The photos are by "everybody who was anybody" in the railway photography field up to 1955.

At sixty pounds, it is easily the most expensive Irish railway book to date. However, if you want a copy, PM me and I may be able to soften the blow, especially if I can hand you a copy, rather than post it. I'll supply post free to UK only -  although I understand that a bookshop in Tralee should have copies. And I could bring some to Blackrock in the Autumn.

Needles to say, I haven't read it - I have two others to finish first, including Tony's.

With the best will in the world, they’re having a laugh. Just OVER €70 for a book!!

This is worse than some of those 071s online for €750…….!

Colourpoint or Stenlake would have done that for €25.

I’m afraid I won’t be buying any book at that price!

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

With the best will in the world, they’re having a laugh. Just OVER €70 for a book!!....

To be fair, Wild Swan's mighty tome on the Talyllyn Railway, published many years ago, was getting on for around £60/70 back then.

....and no, I didn't buy a copy either.

• Like 1

It's not for me to defend the price.

But Jon, don't make me laugh - that pair you quote produce paperbacks  which are half the size (a lot less, often) - so there's no comparison!

And, as Ivan says, comparable volumes, printed THIRTY FIVE years ago now fetch £40-£70.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 4

Looking at my collection of T&D books, I have the D Bradford Barton picture album published during the early 80s and Rowlands, McGraths and Francis "Dingle Train" published during the mid 90s. 

The Dingle Train appears on the market for upwards of $45 including a UK seller looking for £68.50, Locomotives of the GSR (Colourpoint) for a similar amount.

I no real plans to buy further railway books at this stage.

• Like 1

It will be a quality production but I already have the 2 previous books on the Tralee & Dingle and I can't see that there will be much new information in this one. Having said that some more negatives landed on the door mat yesterday and there are actually 2 of the LRTL Special  at Castlegregory Jc and Dingle on 11 June 1953. 

Most of the recent books I have purchased have had the photos looked at and then they are put  on the shelves to be read at a some later date which doesn't seem to happen!

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Unhappily, I would probably have to say the same, Ernie.

This book is heavily (and I suspect expensively, as there are quite a few National Library photos) illustrated.Some of the photos have appeared before, but never so exquisitely printed. That is one of Lightmoor's great strengths.

I am presently reading "Adventures of a Fighting Railway" (the Belfast Central Railway) which is heavily illustrated and a work of art - the Tyrone-based designer has done a superb job. Pretty heavy reading, I must admit, although the author has a pleasant enough style.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

I'll gladly buy a copy.  A wonderful investment in learning more, beyond the slim older books.

Right now, the post to the U.S. for the book is almost the cost of the book, both from Dingle Books and from Lightmoor Press.  So I guess this means I'll have to pick up a copy in person, either at the Dingle Books Shop or at Statfold Barn in September.

Books like this will given time drop in price, but that said expensive books well how about this I have all three books on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, each when new £60-70 pounds on a recent railway auction site each one went for over £200 pound each. I didn't buy mine as an investment, but for me to learn more about that railway and they have been read once and referred to many times but they still look like new, All I can say it just make sure to know what you are going to do with your own book collection when you are not here to appricate it   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A guy from Tralee who boulght this book from me has offered a quick "review", which may be of interest!

"The T&D is excellent...despite the price!

Most of the pics are of excellent quality;  e.g. pg 154 top shows a rare view of the turntable; 139 top a view again of the TT with the NK (North Kerry) yard buildings in the background.

The info quantity is just huge. I also like the quotes from staff; enthusiasts and other interested persons (e.g. Sean O'Luing pg.79)

I also have the PBW edition which at 70 pages is dwarfed by this edition (@352 pages).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm preparing for Blackrock and it occurred to me that some of you might like a copy of the Tralee and Dingle book.

I am prepared to supply the book, picked up at Blackrock, for €60 a copy (normally UK Sterling £60).

Either PM me to put in a pre-order, or e-mail me

lesliemcallister@aol.com

Profit to Irish preservation funds.

Thanks

Leslie  (for The Syndicate)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I received my copy this past week and am very pleased with it. I wouldn't normally spend so much on a book but having grown up in Tralee in the sixties and seventies and having explored what remained of the route over the years I felt I needed to own a copy. The book is of very high quality an is the last word on the line.

At 325 pages, that's eight and a half pages per mile which must make it one of the most comprehensive book on any railway in existence!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1