Rate this question

enniscorthyman

Question

15 answers to this question

I have ment to ask what was that thingmagig on the headlight

Of the 141/181s mostly in CIE livery.It looked like a curved pipe

and I had often seen them on the Rosslare line mostly in the 70s

and 80s.

Eamonn,the curved section of the headlight that were fitted to some of the 141/181 locos were used when the locos operated any cross border services,

If in the event of any delay or potential hijack to the train,then it was easily identified from an army helicopter overhead as the headlight beam would shine upwards.

I think there were possibly six locos that were fitted,not sure of the numbers.

Eamonn,the curved section of the headlight that were fitted to some of the 141/181 locos were used when the locos operated any cross border services,

If in the event of any delay or potential hijack to the train,then it was easily identified from an army helicopter overhead as the headlight beam would shine upwards.

I think there were possibly six locos that were fitted,not sure of the numbers.

You learn something new every day :-bd

Noel have NIR locos ever hauled cross boarder freight I don't ever remember seeing any.

In the mid-late 1990s 112 (and possibly the others) hauled freight, usually liner trains of containers and fertiliser between Dundalk and Belfast, but I do not think they worked all the way from Dublin, just took over/or off the trains at Dundalk.

In the mid-late 1990s 112 (and possibly the others) hauled freight, usually liner trains of containers and fertiliser between Dundalk and Belfast, but I do not think they worked all the way from Dublin, just took over/or off the trains at Dundalk.

Would you have any photos of them working those trains on that stretch of line in that great collection for yours

Excellent memories. I remember once seeing seven locos in Adelaide. 133 and 135 had brought the cement in, a pair of 141s was on the other goods, a single one had taken over shunting due to one of Hunslet 102's long absences, and another pair of 141s was sitting to one side, I think having failed... memories! Naturally, I didn't have a camera as I was on my way to work...