DCC decoder availability

Rate this topic

Fiacra

Hi folks,

I have been collecting Irish locos over the last couple of years, with a view to building a layout in due course. Unfortunately, at the time of buying the locos, I didn't give any consideration to DCC decoders - on the assumption that I would be able to pick them up at a later stage. Alas, not so. I've been able to find decoders for my 071 and 201, but it seems that A class and 121 decoders are out of stock everywhere. I'm assuming 141/181 decoders will be available when these locos are re-released, but does anybody know if the A class and 121 decoders are still available anywhere? Or, if they'll become available any time soon? Also, I should probably emphasise that it's only the decoders that I'm looking for, not the sound chips.

Many thanks!

Any decent 8 or 21 pin decoder will do. IRM and Murphy models recommended only using their decoders for warranty guarantees, but its over 12 months now since these locos were released. I use a mix of different decoders in my locos, and the only trouble I've had is with hornby 8 pin decoders. Lais dcc decoders are great value for money. I've used more that 30 so far over the last 5-8 years and all still going fine. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by BEANO3005
Error
  • Like 2
  • Informative 3

1 hour ago, Bob229 said:

Marks Models have the MM 121 loco decoder

Thank you - completely missed that!

2 hours ago, BEANO3005 said:

Any decent 8 or 21 pin decoder will do. IRM and Murphy models recommended only using their decoders for warranty guarantees, but its over 12 months now since these locos were released. I use a mix of different decoders in my locos, and the only trouble I've had is with hornby 8 pin decoders. Lais dcc decoders are great value for money. I've used more that 30 so far over the last 5-8 years and all still going fine. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks Beano. I'm very new to DCC and wasn't aware that generic decoders could be used - very helpful!

Beano is right. If you don’t need sound, any generic decoder will do the job as long as it has the correct number of pins to match the socket in your loco. Have a look at the DCC Concepts website. They have a useful range of decoders and also a plug-in stay-alive system which avoids the need to do any soldering (though you may not need stay-alive, given the sort of locomotives you’re using). I’ve been using them for a while now with no problems. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fiacra said:

Hi folks,

I have been collecting Irish locos over the last couple of years, with a view to building a layout in due course. Unfortunately, at the time of buying the locos, I didn't give any consideration to DCC decoders - on the assumption that I would be able to pick them up at a later stage. Alas, not so. I've been able to find decoders for my 071 and 201, but it seems that A class and 121 decoders are out of stock everywhere. I'm assuming 141/181 decoders will be available when these locos are re-released, but does anybody know if the A class and 121 decoders are still available anywhere? Or, if they'll become available any time soon? Also, I should probably emphasise that it's only the decoders that I'm looking for, not the sound chips.

Many thanks!

It depends on wither you want sound or not. If not sound just motor DCC decoders than €20 for a basic Lenz decoder is more than enough. No need for ridiculous €35. If you want sound then your two choices are ESU LokSound5 projects from the likes of (http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk/styled-5/index.html) or Zimo from Mr Sound Guy (website currently offline). Both of these have sound projects for nearly all the Irish diesel locos. I've equipped my MM 141/181/121/071/201 fleet with ESU projects designed by WheelTappers. I tried but dislike the generic vanilla projects designed by ESU themselves for Murphy Models and IRM, they were designed by people sitting at desks using library recordings of mainly US locos with now knowledge of how Irish Diesel loco's were operated and how they actually sounded. For me sound is half the equation, how these project drive prototypicaly is just as important. Sadly the generic vanilla ESU projects lack coasting and long distance braking like the real thing, so they cannot be driven as a real loco would have been. Personally I enjoy the challenge of bringing a model loco to notch 0 and applying brakes at the right time to bring a train to a halt a mile or two later correctly at the right place on a platform or in front of a stop signal. Shoving throttle to speed step 0 and the mode train stopping abruptly using only 18 inches of track is toy town and boringly unrealistic. Driving model trains like real trains is the fun.

• Funny 1
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Noel said:

It depends on wither you want sound or not. If not sound just motor DCC decoders than €20 for a basic Lenz decoder is more than enough. No need for ridiculous €35. If you want sound then your two choices are ESU LokSound5 projects from the likes of (http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk/styled-5/index.html) or Zimo from Mr Sound Guy (website currently offline). Both of these have sound projects for nearly all the Irish diesel locos. I've equipped my MM 141/181/121/071/201 fleet with ESU projects designed by WheelTappers. I tried but dislike the generic vanilla projects designed by ESU themselves for Murphy Models and IRM, they were designed by people sitting at desks using library recordings of mainly US locos with now knowledge of how Irish Diesel loco's were operated and how they actually sounded. For me sound is half the equation, how these project drive prototypicaly is just as important. Sadly the generic vanilla ESU projects lack coasting and long distance braking like the real thing, so they cannot be driven as a real loco would have been. Personally I enjoy the challenge of bringing a model loco to notch 0 and applying brakes at the right time to bring a train to a halt a mile or two later correctly at the right place on a platform or in front of a stop signal. Shoving throttle to speed step 0 and the mode train stopping abruptly using only 18 inches of track is toy town and boringly unrealistic. Driving model trains like real trains is the fun.

Uffff!

Major punch in the ribs for iRM and Paddy Murphy there, knocking their prices and their quality in one fell swoop!

4 hours ago, Fiacra said:

Hi folks,

Many thanks!

Try Brian Collins, RB Models, Marks Models, Rails of Sheffield, and obviously IRM themselves for LokPilots.

I'm sure that @BosKonay can advise us as to whether IRM will be offering more LokPilots for the A Class or not. I'd say the likelihood is yes, but that's only speculation on my part.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Noel said:

Noel the ESU developed programmes were built by us from recordings made by us with ESU sound engineers onsite and developed and tweaked by us with the ESU team. They are also packed with features and functionality that are bespoke to the models. 

17 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Uffff!

Major punch in the ribs for iRM and Paddy Murphy there, knocking their prices and their quality in one fell swoop!

Try Brian Collins, RB Models, Marks Models, Rails of Sheffield, and obviously IRM themselves for LokPilots.

I'm sure that @BosKonay can advise us as to whether IRM will be offering more LokPilots for the A Class or not. I'd say the likelihood is yes, but that's only speculation on my part.

We will of course, as well as a new run of A’s as well as a whole list of powered and unpowered models to come. We might even let Noel buy one 🤪

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

We will of course, as well as a new run of A’s as well as a whole list of powered and unpowered models to come

I bought a substantial number of As based on the variety of liveries making a  rerun unlikely in the near term. Unlikely to buy another and would keep further funds for better variety in the forms of B class, the long-lived early CIE stock, early rail cars or a steam locomotive(s)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DiveController said:

I bought a substantial number of As based on the variety of liveries making a  rerun unlikely in the near term. Unlikely to buy another and would keep further funds for better variety in the forms of B class, the long-lived early CIE stock, early rail cars or a steam locomotive(s)

Oh come on!

You wouldn't go for another lined green one???

😁😁😁

19 hours ago, Noel said:

Sure at that rate we all might as well buy a laisdcc for 12 euro and call it a day? Sure thats more than enough, no point in paying a rediculous 20 euros??

Some things to note: 

There seems to be 2 revisions of the MM121 chip as ive got  what i would consider to be quite a crap one  along with 2 much better ones that come with the high fi sounds that differ greatly from the first one which isnt great in my opinion

The A Class EMD chip was recorded off A39r in Ireland? It also has the most advanced function sheet of any other decoder ive got?

we are lucky to have a crossley chip at all and it has taken years to come up with a suitable solution that we were lucky to get at all?

ALL of the above chips are set up with proper momentum and braking? things which must be manually set up on the cheaper chips which usually come blank but may contain generic values at best?

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Sure at that rate we all might as well buy a laisdcc for 12 euro and call it a day? Sure thats more than enough, no point in paying a rediculous 20 euros??

Some things to note: 

There seems to be 2 revisions of the MM121 chip as ive got  what i would consider to be quite a crap one  along with 2 much better ones that come with the high fi sounds that differ greatly from the first one which isnt great in my opinion

The A Class EMD chip was recorded off A39r in Ireland? It also has the most advanced function sheet of any other decoder ive got?

we are lucky to have a crossley chip at all and it has taken years to come up with a suitable solution that we were lucky to get at all?

ALL of the above chips are set up with proper momentum and braking? things which must be manually set up on the cheaper chips which usually come blank but may contain generic values at best?

Ah, come on, no need to be facetious about it, that's just mean.

Anyhow, everybody knows that €12 for vanilla rubbish is a ripoff when you can just make the sounds with your mouth.

• Funny 1