Beagnach end: A Branchline terminus.

Rate this topic

Metrovik

On 28/4/2024 at 6:15 PM, Metrovik said:

No progress to report, (surprise surprise) but I do have a question, Cork, how necessary is it for track underlay or is it sacrilegious to lay the track directly onto the board? Also I've been toying with the idea of making a real signal box for points and signals with the wire and tube method. Thoughts?

I'd say cork is better for both easier application of trackpins, for a realistic ballast shoulder, and to dampen running noises. It's easy enough to apply as well, and I've some I could drop around to you if you want.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 6/5/2024 at 7:19 PM, LNERW1 said:

I'd say cork is better for both easier application of trackpins, for a realistic ballast shoulder, and to dampen running noises. It's easy enough to apply as well, and I've some I could drop around to you if you want.

Yes, I would agree about having the effect of a ballast shoulder (ballast- shudder!🤨) and the deadening of sound. I just used strips of 3mm hardboard as underlay(cos I had loads of the stuff) . I know plenty on here won't agree with me , but I fix track and ballast at the same time, using double sided tape. A bit more tedious but is way quieter than ballasting with glue. Go with whatever floats your boat as far as to underlay or not. Your layout is quite short, am I right, so your locos won't be going at any great speed. So the running noise should not really be an issue. (Unless you get a noisy mac noise loco, like I just did. But that's another story)

• Informative 1
  • Funny 1

Double sided tape as a solution for affixing points is a technique I've seen used before, by YouTuber That Model Railway Guy, but using it for all track and ballast is a new one, and quite smart too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derek said:

Yes, I would agree about having the effect of a ballast shoulder (ballast- shudder!🤨) and the deadening of sound. I just used strips of 3mm hardboard as underlay(cos I had loads of the stuff) . I know plenty on here won't agree with me , but I fix track and ballast at the same time, using double sided tape. A bit more tedious but is way quieter than ballasting with glue. Go with whatever floats your boat as far as to underlay or not. Your layout is quite short, am I right, so your locos won't be going at any great speed. So the running noise should not really be an issue. (Unless you get a noisy mac noise loco, like I just did. But that's another story)

I thought you loved ballasting? 🤭

• Funny 1
  • Angry 1

• 2 weeks later...

Monthly progress Report! 😁 

Track laying has somewhat commenced, many thanks to @LNERW1 for the cork. What a difference it makes! track is not stuck down yet as I'm currently in the process of designing the point levers and changing mechanism for the signal box set up that will operate them (all going well!) Speaking of Signals, could people possibly help me figure out what semaphores are needed on the layout? I plan on using SSM signals (after i practice my soldering)  but am not sure whether or not its possible to make them operational. I have attached an edited photo of the track noting what's what. All help is very much appreciated. Also doubt anyone noticed but i removed the tiny runround and have opted to say its "down the line" a.k.a in the fiddle yard.Yourparagraphtext.thumb.png.621a3f70d90271f259dca67f41bca8a0.png

• Like 3

Traditionally a small Irish branch line terminus would have relatively little in the way of signalling, a Fixed Distant about 1/2 mile out a Home Signal to allow trains to run into the passenger platform and a Starting Signal to allow trains to depart from the platform into the next section. Points on passenger carrying lines are connected to a lever frame in the signal box, all other points usually hand operated. Disc-signals were used to control shunting moved to and from a passenger carrying line.

Beagnach End is unusual for an Irish branchline terminus in the the loco release crossover is on a passenger carrying line, on most Irish branch terminals the loco release was located past the end of the platform and hand operated.

Beagnachend.thumb.jpg.6b1df0f000cb1c0c0227d2986fdd9ff8.jpg

I have drawn the diagram with the points normally set for the platform road.  In full size practice facing points on a passenger carrying line were fitted with a point lock operated by a separate level, though where an "economic lock" was used point and loco could be controlled by the same level.

In full size practice movements from the main-line to the yard were sometimes controlled by a hand signal, though sometimes a disc or short arm was fitted to the Home signal, likewise the signal controlling movements from the yard to the main line could be a disc or a full size signal.

In colour light/power signal practice 2 aspect signals would be used in locations like this with miniature shunt signals replacing discs and points controlled by point motors either controlled from a local cabin or the CTC in Dublin

• Like 5
  • Informative 2
  • WOW! 1

22 hours ago, Metrovik said:

Monthly progress Report! 😁 

. Also doubt anyone noticed but i removed the tiny runround and have opted to say its "down the line" a.k.a in the fiddle yard.Yourparagraphtext.thumb.png.621a3f70d90271f259dca67f41bca8a0.png

Oh yeah, first thing I noticed😉. Looking better, the ol runaround was a bit on the short side ok. I  look forward to your monthly updates now. Keep up the good work @Metrovik

• Like 1

Back in the day, I believe it was common practice for an unfitted goods train to stop outside loop of a terminus station to ensure it was under control and minimise the possibility of a runaway smashing into the buffers. Not something I see done very often at exhibitions, but worth including for that extra bit of authenticity perhaps?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Back in the day, I believe it was common practice for an unfitted goods train to stop outside loop of a terminus station to ensure it was under control and minimise the possibility of a runaway smashing into the buffers. Not something I see done very often at exhibitions, but worth including for that extra bit of authenticity perhaps?

Sounds like a great idea, only the run round loop is not actually part of the scenic section, well I mean a little bit of it is but the majority of it is not. When things get up and running I will try it though.