Shed with a difference!

Rate this topic

36 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Looks fantastic. Well done

16 minutes ago, John-r said:

Have to say, I'm really enjoying watching your project take shape, it's looking  really good and look forward to your updates, weather permitting.👍 Great work.

Thanks lads 

22 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Took some time off today seeing as the weather was good and sheeted the roof, also ordered the double glazed units for the windows and door, getting there gradually.

IMG_20240313_175112.jpg

IMG_20240313_175203.jpg

Double glazed units! Pure notions. Tis far from double glazed units you were reared. Seriously, looking excellent. Keep it up.👏

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Just had a quick flick through this thread. Kept meaning to do so and kept forgetting.

The concept, the idea, is just fabulous, and the shed itself looks brilliant. It genuinely looks like an abandoned wagon sitting in your garden!

My only fears would be about protecting the models inside from the elements. It's been a long time since I've experienced it first-hand, but I still remember what Ireland is like for damp.

It seems to creep in everywhere and anywhere, the damp and the cold both compounding each other, taking advantage of the tiniest slivers to penetrate anywhere!

Some of the posts in the thread are a bit too technical for me, go whooshing way over my head, but the bottom line is, I hope that your models will be OK!

I guess it would be kind of funny if they weren't, and you decided to move them back into the house - then you could put your hand on your heart and tell visitors that it genuinely IS abandoned, without having to lie!

😂😂😂😂😂

Being serious, though, how is it likely to turn out from a weather-proofing aspect, long term?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Just had a quick flick through this thread. Kept meaning to do so and kept forgetting.

The concept, the idea, is just fabulous, and the shed itself looks brilliant. It genuinely looks like an abandoned wagon sitting in your garden!

My only fears would be about protecting the models inside from the elements. It's been a long time since I've experienced it first-hand, but I still remember what Ireland is like for damp.

It seems to creep in everywhere and anywhere, the damp and the cold both compounding each other, taking advantage of the tiniest slivers to penetrate anywhere!

Some of the posts in the thread are a bit too technical for me, go whooshing way over my head, but the bottom line is, I hope that your models will be OK!

I guess it would be kind of funny if they weren't, and you decided to move them back into the house - then you could put your hand on your heart and tell visitors that it genuinely IS abandoned, without having to lie!

😂😂😂😂😂

Being serious, though, how is it likely to turn out from a weather-proofing aspect, long term?

It's going to be totally weather proof, which means it will survive normal Irish weather, it won't be a wagon internally, it will be dry, cosy, safe and warm, I won't put any of my models in here if it's none of the above, all the windows and doors will be double glazed, insulation packed everywhere possible, today is a great test for it actually, it's blowing a gale and driving rain 😮‍💨

• Like 3

This is a superb post. I’ve no room in a small suburban garden for a thing like this but I wish I had.

When I was a small person, I remember we visited a long-deceased elderly family friend in Co Wicklow who had an old Dublin tram on their farm. They had got it as a summerhouse but one of their farm workers was living in it.

Another long gone acquaintance some fifty years ago had a pristine BCDR 6-wheel third class coach, still in faded UTA green. They used it as a workshop. It had tools, vices, small lathes and a whole range of work benches in it.

Some time prior to the establishment of the DCDR, it was sadly bulldozed….

All long gone now, but I always wished I had an old railway vehicle and room to keep it.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4
  • WOW! 1

53 minutes ago, John-r said:

Coming along really well, Great work,  can I ask were do the bunk beds go for us all when we visit, I have first dibs 😁.  Enjoying your progress 👍

I'm afraid John a couple of armchairs might have to suffice, plenty coffee, chat and whiskey will pass the time and then there's only time for a short snooze 🤭😅

36 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

This is a superb post. I’ve no room in a small suburban garden for a thing like this but I wish I had.

When I was a small person, I remember we visited a long-deceased elderly family friend in Co Wicklow who had an old Dublin tram on their farm. They had got it as a summerhouse but one of their farm workers was living in it.

Another long gone acquaintance some fifty years ago had a pristine BCDR 6-wheel third class coach, still in faded UTA green. They used it as a workshop. It had tools, vices, small lathes and a whole range of work benches in it.

Some time prior to the establishment of the DCDR, it was sadly bulldozed….

All long gone now, but I always wished I had an old railway vehicle and room to keep it.

They must have been fascinating to see 🙂

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Chat and Whisky more than enough, no chairs required, floor to crash on,  great plan coming together 😆.

Keep up the great work 👍

Regards John.

5 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

I'm afraid John a couple of armchairs might have to suffice, plenty coffee, chat and whiskey will pass the time and then there's only time for a short snooze 🤭😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got the floor finished and started the insulation, the sun was still shining this evening so I put up some more script, not exactly as original but near enough and will do me 😉

Oh ignore the plastic sheets covering the windows, it's only temporary until the glass units arrive.

IMG_20240320_165923.jpg

IMG_20240320_170021.jpg

• Like 14
  • WOW! 1

On 20/3/2024 at 7:39 PM, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

IMG_20240320_170021.jpg

Is that your reflection to the right of the word "brake"  or is it possibly a spook? Or am I just seeing things? 

Edited by derek
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

An artist I'm definitely not 🫣😂, my attempt at sign writing leaves a lot to be desired but once you get used to it I reckon it's grand 🤭, the feckin rain stopped play again!

IMG_20240324_162851.jpg

Ah, you're too hard on yourself - and it'll be OK once you've weathered the whole thing.

• Like 2

Got some more slabbing done this evening, time to pick some brains of the more learned here now 😜, below is the outline of the floor area and I want to plan the baseboards, my goal is to have one or more short little shunting or straight line layouts, so should I have individual boards or one long one just divided,or a wrap around or something else? 

IMG_20240402_192602.jpg

• Like 2

Here is one to kick off the discussion;-

Taken from Mr CJ Freezer's 'Track Plans' Plan No. 1  for a small bedroom!

SWADECMLayout-01.thumb.jpg.1a824f49f10ca5f7c6a42d4c3fa6df47.jpg

I have elongated it to suit your dimensions and ignored your lobby, I reckon railway layout space is more important than a lobby.

This plan allows for a train to run on a loop, which runs under the station, so then one can play end to end between the fiddle yard, the goods, the engine shed, and the station at the same time. The trains would have to reverse into the station and would be short!

Eoin

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, murrayec said:

Here is one to kick off the discussion;-

Taken from Mr CJ Freezer's 'Track Plans' Plan No. 1  for a small bedroom!

SWADECMLayout-01.thumb.jpg.1a824f49f10ca5f7c6a42d4c3fa6df47.jpg

I have elongated it to suit your dimensions and ignored your lobby, I reckon railway layout space is more important than a lobby.

This plan allows for a train to run on a loop, which runs under the station, so then one can play end to end between the fiddle yard, the goods, the engine shed, and the station at the same time. The trains would have to reverse into the station and would be short!

Eoin

Interesting, however the lobby can't be ignored, living in this country means you can't always open the door to the weather, I like the options for running though.👏

Thanks Eoin 

• Like 1