Shed with a difference!

Rate this topic

On 25/2/2024 at 12:54 PM, Galteemore said:

If you’re going for the authentic SLNC look you’re almost there ;) 

"Lough Erne" is arriving, along with Railcar B, on low loaders at the weekend...........

1 hour ago, irishrailways52 said:

you should sell those

Given the space (which I don't have), i would very certainly buy one like that!

• Like 2

On 25/2/2024 at 12:54 PM, Galteemore said:

If you’re going for the authentic SLNC look you’re almost there ;) 

Nowhere near scruffy enough! 😇

Brilliant idea for a shed and have occasionally wondered if anyone has ever repurposed an actual goods wagon as a model railway room. It would be a reasonable amount of space inside, albeit a bit cold and draughty. Near the Kent and East Sussex Railway, there are several refurbished wagons in use as holiday lets, including a GWR brake van. The owners usually have an advert in Railway Magazine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Brilliant idea for a shed and have occasionally wondered if anyone has ever repurposed an actual goods wagon as a model railway room. 

I have a vague idea that there was a layout in a carriage at Crewe 10/15 years ago.

This could be 'real life or is it just fantasy'?

I will ask the person who was there with me, he's (fairly) reliable...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

have occasionally wondered if anyone has ever repurposed an actual goods wagon as a model railway room.

I believe Chris O'Donoghue might've put a layout in his garden studio, which is sort of a repurposed railway carriage.

Carriage New Year

(It's not a real carriage though, but a fake one built for his award winning 2007 Chelsea Flower Show garden)

chelsea-flower-garden-courtyard-garden-3

Sadly I suspect the garden shed we'll build in the next year or two will be a bit more conventional in style.

• Like 5

As a professional who worked in the industry for close to 50 years building (and sometimes troubleshooting) residential and commercial buildings in Ireland, the UK and New Zealand, I struggle to bite my lip and stay stum on this thread.

Using decent materials, correct detailing and decent maintenance a timber framed building can have an almost indifinite life span, like the timber frame buildings in parts of the UK and other parts of the world, incorrect detailing and inadequate maintenance basically rot away within years. Our own home in a conservation area 1920s California Bungalow timberframe weathboard construction corrugated iron roof just about 100 this year, older timber frame Villas from the Victorian era and timber frame houses built up to the 60s sought after in their own right or for relocation, more modern housing tends to be demolished and end up in landfill as developers go for intensification in established neighbourhoods.

The main drawback with the railway wagon/carriage as a home/railway room is that the originals wern't intended/designed to deal with the Irish/UK/New Zealand weather in the same manner as a conventional building and require almost constant maintenance/upkeep to remain weathertight and with plantation timber not rot away in a few years.

While a pastiche the 'railway carriage" with corrugated iron roof and veranda will last longer with lower maintenance levels than a traditional railway wagon/carriage roof constructed in roofing boards or ply covered in the traditional canvas or even a modern roofing membrane. Even modern roofing membranes (felt or plastic) are only guaranteed to 10-12 years, while you would want a decent shed to last at least 25 preferably a minimum of 50 years before replacement.

We built a scaled down NZ Railway shelter (not unlike GNR(I) for an outdoor store in our garden about 15 years ago, still the original acrylic (not oil) paint work still looks well no maintenance to speak off since built. Roof Corrugated Iron Mono-pitch with decent overhangs (300+mm), timber flashings and weatherboard all treated pine timber, on building wrap (not a vapour barrier) on 100X50 treated pine framing. Large doors were laminated in "Shadowclad" a treated Ply pre-primed Wall Cladding with V grooved to resemble T&G planking (but without the shrinkage problem) to a sheet of 19mm treated plywood, no sign of movement or shinkage since installed despite exposure to the prevailing wind and sun.

To sum up I'd build it differently using different materials, but would build a building that meets Building Code requirements in terms of durability and weathertightness than a replica railway wagon or carriage mainly in terms of building life and value for money, but that's my opinion. The SLNCR Van looks the part and I was impressed with the joinery work involved.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

I'm not a trouble maker Derek 😇🤠

Didn't stop you before. Ah, shur I'm only joking. No offence meant.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:17 AM, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Great roofing weather today 😁

IMG_20240301_090248.jpg

Man up and get on with it😜

• Funny 1

48 minutes ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Super tantalising glimpses of the lovely sligo landscape on this spring day.  

It's a lovely part of the world for sure.

17 minutes ago, Bob229 said:

Excellent progress Denis 

Thanks Bob

Just now, Patrick Davey said:

Simply superb!

Thanks Patrick 🙂

• Like 1