Shed with a difference!

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

It doesn't look too bad in the sunshine, I'm hoping to get the inside finished in the next couple of weeks.

IMG_20240413_130339.jpg

Excellent Denis. So you do know a bit about building yourself after all.😇

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

Now that you've done this as a prototype, will you be releasing it as a brass kit?

Haha don't be giving the maestros here ideas 🫣🤭

1 hour ago, derek said:

Excellent Denis. So you do know a bit about building yourself after all.😇

You're some stirrer Derek 😂

• Funny 2

A miserable day outside so time for some metalwork, I needed a handle for the door on the left as in the picture, had some round bar and some flat, a bit of cutting, bending, welding and painting and the result.

IMG_20240414_161534.jpg

IMG_20240414_160154.jpg

IMG_20240414_161420.jpg

I will try to fit it later if the weather permits.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

Hands down the best 1:1 scale model of a SLNC (or any company's) van to grace these pages 😀

This is a really great project, I really enjoy following it. Well done @Gabhal Luimnigh!!!!!

Haha thank you kindly sir, I'm enjoying the build in between the rain showers but I'm afraid the inside is going to look more comfortable than it was originally, I think those old vans were very chilly in the winter! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying Snail said:

Now that we've seen he's a dab hand at the old metal work too, I fully expect him to decide to mount it on a steel under frame and wheels by summer .... watch this space!!!! 🛠️ 🔩👨‍🏭

It's up on blocks now, someone pinched the wheels a few weeks back.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

You'll have an old pot belly stove in there, surely?

I was thinking about it but then I also thought about smoke and dust etc, not ideal for a layout 🫣

3 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

Now that we've seen he's a dab hand at the old metal work too, I fully expect him to decide to mount it on a steel under frame and wheels by summer .... watch this space!!!! 🛠️ 🔩👨‍🏭

If I put it on wheels then maybe some of you lot would arrive with a low loader 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broithe said:

It's up on blocks now, someone pinched the wheels a few weeks back.

I will have to address the block situation, I don't know what the best option is visually, maybe a fascia across the bottom covering the blocks? Or even an artist's impression of wheels and all the other ironworks? 🤔🧐

1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

I will have to address the block situation, I don't know what the best option is visually, maybe a fascia across the bottom covering the blocks? Or even an artist's impression of wheels and all the other ironworks? 🤔🧐

steel under frame and wheels ... go on, you know you want to

Mrs Doyle.gif

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

Just looking at the photos above it doesn't look like you have a huge amount of space for wheels etc. How about some metalwork (which we can see that you are adept at) representing the leaf springs, just the tops of the wheels, top of the axle boxes and some surface treatment of the ground in front of the shed to give the impression of a platform edge?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Signal Post said:

Just looking at the photos above it doesn't look like you have a huge amount of space for wheels etc. How about some metalwork (which we can see that you are adept at) representing the leaf springs, just the tops of the wheels, top of the axle boxes and some surface treatment of the ground in front of the shed to give the impression of a platform edge?

Yes all of the above sounds like one of my thought processes, if I could pick up a wheel somewhere I could cut it in half, that would be a good start 😉

11 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

You'll have an old pot belly stove in there, surely?

Well, I'm developing a pot belly - does that help?

51 minutes ago, derek said:

You're under pressure now boy🥴 No half measures will do at this stage. Am I right lads?😜

The new-build "Sir Henry" will need to be steam-tested by the weekend after next.........

• Funny 5

13 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Well, I'm developing a pot belly - does that help?

Apparently you'd also need to be emissions free @jhb171achill. My pot belly runs on Guinness, so thats probably no good anyhow 🫢😶‍🌫️

6 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

I was thinking about it but then I also thought about smoke and dust etc, not ideal for a layout 🫣

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Funny 4

Baseboards done, ready for lots of thought, gave myself plenty options, the stand alone baseboard is 1000x600, the long narrow one is 1800x400 and the end one is 1600x600 with a sharing corner added, I can have a few various small layouts, lots to play with.

IMG_20240424_215657.jpg

IMG_20240424_215710.jpg

IMG_20240424_215716.jpg

IMG_20240424_215726.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Definitely SLNCR, tell me more Noel, I never heard of the place, I was thinking Manorhamilton but now you have me intrigued.

It was the junction of the line to Ballaghderren -drive through Gurteen village towards Boyle for about one mile then take a left…see photo. 

IMG_3313.jpeg

• Thanks 1