Shed with a difference!

Rate this topic

I will be building a shed for a new layout during the year but I thought I would try something different, I want to build a replica of a wagon like one of the below so I need some kind of drawings or measurements as I might need to scale it down slightly, I have about 15ft of concrete to play with, can anyone assist with some info?

351CA2E6-290C-4D57-9629-792760E3A2B6.jpeg.8f2d95366ab158e29895726bfcc6074c.jpeg

IMG_20240109_161837.jpg

• Like 2

@Gabhal Luimnigh Not sure about the availability of the IRRS drawings- Anthony McD' looked after the drawings but sadly he passed away a few years back, though contacting them will answer the question of availability?

Line drawings with principal dimensions can be found in Ian Allan's publications like;-

'Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock' by Desmond Coakham.

'The County Donegal Railways Companion' by Roger Crombleholme.

I know they are a different gauge but a great starting point, also I sure more published drawing recommendations can be offered on here!

I also know a man who built 2 storage sheds in wagon fashion, if he is agreeable I could get a few photos of what he did if you like?

Eoin

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, murrayec said:

@Gabhal Luimnigh Not sure about the availability of the IRRS drawings- Anthony McD' looked after the drawings but sadly he passed away a few years back, though contacting them will answer the question of availability?

Line drawings with principal dimensions can be found in Ian Allan's publications like;-

'Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock' by Desmond Coakham.

'The County Donegal Railways Companion' by Roger Crombleholme.

I know they are a different gauge but a great starting point, also I sure more published drawing recommendations can be offered on here!

I also know a man who built 2 storage sheds in wagon fashion, if he is agreeable I could get a few photos of what he did if you like?

Eoin

Thanks Eoin, I found a drawing online and have all the measurements now, I even have them scaled down, fairly easily, multiplied everything by 0.83 and hey presto.

3 minutes ago, murrayec said:

Check out the resources on here for dimensional ideas;-  https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/resources/proto_drawings/

Eoin

Great source of information there, thanks Eoin, much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, murrayec said:

@Gabhal Luimnigh Here are a few photos of the sheds I mentioned above, I know it's different to what you have in mind but it gives some ideas, especially the ground level detail;-

Shed-03IMG_20240130_155756.thumb.jpg.dbe50d42c5d86818af4e8c587f3ba6c3.jpg

Shed-02IMG_20240130_155700.thumb.jpg.490d06de068cae5237866403a2cfa854.jpg

Shed-01IMG_20240130_155547.thumb.jpg.9b85277dfe5da844b2b4c56984c2f30a.jpg

Eoin.

Thanks Eoin, I am going to try and give the illusion of wheels underneath with the step included, ambitious I know but hopefully worth the effort, there's some tidy woodwork in those sheds.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Thanks Eoin, I am going to try and give the illusion of wheels underneath with the step included, ambitious I know but hopefully worth the effort, there's some tidy woodwork in those sheds.

As builder and construction project manager I have serious reservations about the ground level detail of the sheds in Murray's photos.

There appears to be a risk or damp and potential failure (rot) of the shed structure in the apparent absence of underfloor ventilation or a dampproof membrane between the ground and the shed one of the underlying principals of building construction. I ended up replacing the timber ground floor with a concrete slab on a dpm in a house in Dublin about 30 years  ago as a result of blocked underfloor vents.

Personally I would build the shed using timber frame construction either on a suspended timber floor on timber piles

image.jpeg.313d0cbf2fd4e31bbabe9663bf7b411e.jpeg

or a concrete raft/slab foundation

Raft-vs-Conventional-V2.png

Timber frame construction was and remains the standard for housing construction in New Zealand, I built a scaled down version of a New Zealand Railways platform shelter as a store in our garden.

Personally if I was building a replica or a Brake Van or Wagon, I would use 100X50mm treated timber for the structural framing, with treated T&G board or treated grooved plywood for the cladding on a building membrane, with treated 4X1 for the cosmetic outside framing. Internally walls ceilings and underfloor insulated with batt insulation and lined with plasterboard or plywood depending on your taste.

Potentially looking at a min 6X2" for floor joists at 16" centres supported on 4X3 bearers to support a couple of people in the shed if you go for a suspended floor.

Local building regs. require a min 400mm ground clearance under a suspended floor so potential space if you want to allow for wheels, brake gear and steps.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, Mayner said:

As builder and construction project manager I have serious reservations about the ground level detail of the sheds in Murray's photos.

There appears to be a risk or damp and potential failure (rot) of the shed structure in the apparent absence of underfloor ventilation or a dampproof membrane between the ground and the shed one of the underlying principals of building construction. I ended up replacing the timber ground floor with a concrete slab on a dpm in a house in Dublin about 30 years  ago as a result of blocked underfloor vents.

Personally I would build the shed using timber frame construction either on a suspended timber floor on timber piles

image.jpeg.313d0cbf2fd4e31bbabe9663bf7b411e.jpeg

or a concrete raft/slab foundation

Raft-vs-Conventional-V2.png

Timber frame construction was and remains the standard for housing construction in New Zealand, I built a scaled down version of a New Zealand Railways platform shelter as a store in our garden.

Personally if I was building a replica or a Brake Van or Wagon, I would use 100X50mm treated timber for the structural framing, with treated T&G board or treated grooved plywood for the cladding on a building membrane, with treated 4X1 for the cosmetic outside framing. Internally walls ceilings and underfloor insulated with batt insulation and lined with plasterboard or plywood depending on your taste.

Potentially looking at a min 6X2" for floor joists at 16" centres supported on 4X3 bearers to support a couple of people in the shed if you go for a suspended floor.

Local building regs. require a min 400mm ground clearance under a suspended floor so potential space if you want to allow for wheels, brake gear and steps.

Thanks, I've a fair idea about building myself 😉

• Funny 2