Dublin Rosslare Line in the 90's

Rate this question

dave182

Question

Hi guys,

As outlined on other threads, I'm starting to build a layout based on the Dublin-Rosslare line with particular attention to Arklow and Shelton Abbey. I'm looking for help on building a 'timetable' of train movements along this part of the line, especially towards the end of the 90's. If you can add/ amend this list then please feel free. Also, anyone got, or know where I could find, commuter timetables for Arklow services and Rosslare services for around this time? I'm sure some of you on here could probably recite them on cue!

Dublin-Rosslare Intercitys 4 to 5 each way per day?

Commuter Trains (Cravens, push-pulls and later 2600's) originating/Terminating in Arklow

This is the one I'm having trouble with. In my head I thought there were lots of trains starting and ending in Arklow, with destination as far flung as Drogheda/Dundalk, and even Maynooth?? But looking at the current timetable this all seem to have been done away with.

Shelton Abbey Ammonia Tankers- 3 in and 3 empties out per day

Shelton Abbey Bagged Fertilizer- 3 empties in 3 out per day (I was surprised to hear this!) + additional specials as required

Occasional Bagged Cement

Zinc Ore in 20' containers (1992)

Coal to/from Arklow? Any additional info?

Departmental- was the line re-signalled/re-layed around this time?

Occasional freight diversions ex-waterford- I've seen 20' timber and bubbles on the line

Did 20' liners with kegs ever serve Arklow/Wexford?

More questions- did a Craven set or 2 ofter stable in Arklow over weekends?

Finally- The Bray Greystones Shuttle- When did that get replaced by bus? The NIR Class 80-set assigned, did it sometimes make it to Arklow? Spotted it there on at least 1 occasion.

Lots of questions- Any help appreciated! Just looking at the list, it certainly wasn't a boring line back then! Fond memories of struggling A's on freight, cravens, push-pulls and mkII's!

18 answers to this question

You might be able to get a copy of an IE working timetable or Weekly Notices for the era either through the IRRS or some of the preservation societies.

The WTT includes all the regular working, as required paths and rostered power, the Weekly Notices probably harder to find cover ballast and special workings.

There were usually 3 Bagged Fertiliser paths to Shelton morning, mid afternoon and late evening. Specials did run the Hotels on Bray seafront were great for nocturnal gricing and anything other than sleep;)

The Wexford Line was the first to go over to Liner Train operation after Sligo with 10 & 20' containers for Sundries Traffic, loadings were poor so the wagons about 6 usually attached to a fertliser train between North Wall and Shelton.

I dont think the re-lay and mini-CTC happened until quite late, bullhead track and lattice post signals is one of the things that made the South Eastern so distinctive.

scan0006.jpg

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

You are right about the re-signalling John. The switch over from the traditional ETS system to CTC on the South Eastern took place in April 2008. The IRRS Journal for October 2008 (No. 167) has an article on the subject.

The IRRS has a large collection of Working Timetables and Wekly circulars which covers the period you want Dave. Call dow on a Tuesday evening 19:30 - 21:45 and have a dig through what they have.

John and Josefstadt, thanks for your input! The more I research this project the more exciting it becomes for me. It is a great network and route to model because it is timeless: John's picture could easily have an IR livery loco or a 2600 railcar or a modern 201 loco and nothing else in the picture would have changed! On a footnote, I looked at the IRRS website to see what membership costs are- why are us Dub's being charged €60 for membership while the country folk are only required to part with 38 of their hard earned euros?!

• Like 1

John and Josefstadt, thanks for your input! The more I research this project the more exciting it becomes for me. It is a great network and route to model because it is timeless: John's picture could easily have an IR livery loco or a 2600 railcar or a modern 201 loco and nothing else in the picture would have changed! On a footnote, I looked at the IRRS website to see what membership costs are- why are us Dub's being charged €60 for membership while the country folk are only required to part with 38 of their hard earned euros?!

I suppose ye Dubs can avail of the facility's every week,while

the rest of us down the sticks can't .I have not been to a IRRS

Night since the mid 90s.

Just revisiting this thread to pose one unanswered question I have that I can't seem to find hard evidence of. Was coal ever carried by rail from the Port of Arklow. I understand coal was imported in to Arklow, this we know, but I'm wondering about it being transferred to those brown 20'containers and moved by rail?

Any pictures or recollections or outright rejection would put this to bed for me once and for all.

Also, this (possible) freight flow not to be confused with the 1992 trial where 20' ISO Amficon containers were used to export zinc through Arklow.

Thanks in advance!

I think the coal was inbound to Arklow from Drogheda in cawoods 20ft containers loaded on 4wheel flats.. I was recently reading the IRRS journal that mentions the traffic starting.. I would think the cawoods containers would be available in OO as they were very common in the UK

Hi Dave & I'm very interested in your thread as its covering an area I would like to get as much info on as possible for my own layout. For what it's worth I remember some time ago been told that coal trains loaded / unloaded somewhere in the Bray area, from ships / boats coming in to a dock. ( North of the Habour! ) Maybe someone on here will have more details.

BTB

I think Cawoods imported coal through Belfast Port for destinations in the South which would have made rail a viable over road for line haul to Arklow. Does anyone know whether he traffic was for domestic or industrial use, its hard to imagine domestic users in Arklow & Wexford burning a 400 ton train load of coal a week during the winter months.

I think Cawoods imported coal through Belfast Port for destinations in the South which would have made rail a viable over road for line haul to Arklow. Does anyone know whether he traffic was for domestic or industrial use, its hard to imagine domestic users in Arklow & Wexford burning a 400 ton train load of coal a week during the winter months.

We are very cold folk in Wexford John;)

The most recent WTT I have is that dated 13th January 1986. It shows the following, paths only shown in italics:

0120 Dublin - Shelton empty fert 001 class haulage

2020 Cork - Shelton (overnight) ammonia 001

0235 Dublin - Shelton empty fert 001

0450 Pearse - Arklow ECS Mondays only 141

0500 Dublin - Shelton empty fert 001

0935 Connolly - Rosslare PAS 121 x 2

0930 North Wall - Wexford bagged Cement 141

1335 Connolly - Rosslare PAS 121 x 2

0842 Marino Point - Shelton (leaves Dublin 1404) Ammonia 001

1725 Connolly - Arklow PAS Mon-Fri Only 001

1833 Connolly - Rosslare PAS 121 x 2

1445 Marino Point - Shelton (dep Pearse 1952) Empty fert 001

2140 Ex-Cork earlier - Cork-Shelton Empty fert 001

...and corresponding returns workings. At busy times, all paths were utilised. At slack times, few might be, especially the Wexford cement, which, if memory serves me right, was "curtain" wagons, at one time anyway. I've a pic of one somewhere....

"A"s, 141s and 121 pairs were to be seen!

Just found the piece on the coal, it's in the October 1989 IRRS journal" In July 1989 a new series of coal trains began operating between Dundalk(Barrack Street goods yard) and Arklow. The coal originates in South Wales and is carried in CAWOODS containers to Ellesmere Port, Cheshire by rail and brought by sea to Warrenpoint and by road to Dundalk. The 20ft open top containers are loaded onto four wheelers flats at Barrack street and forwarded to Arklow." It then describes some of the workings and finishes with " The traffic was suspended for most of August during holidays but is expected to resume in September on a fairly regular basis. It is also reported that the loading of bagged coal has commenced in arklow..

• Like 1

Mogul you legend! Brilliant detective work there, and incredible that there are no photos of this, especially from the time period of 1989. This line is proving to be a very busy freight line! Lots to model!

I would guess that the timetable above was much the same in 1989 unless Shelton was closed by then. I'm not sure exactly when it shut, though even if it wasn't there in '89, artistic licence on your layout could involve an extension, with fertiliser bogies all over the place!

I would guess that the timetable above was much the same in 1989 unless Shelton was closed by then. I'm not sure exactly when it shut, though even if it wasn't there in '89, artistic licence on your layout could involve an extension, with fertiliser bogies all over the place!

Shelton appears to have closed some time in 2002, I remember trying to chase the afternoon Ammonia train from Rathnew to the plant shortly before closure. Despite driving a reasonably high powered car the 201 hauled train won the race and was in the yard clear of the main line before I arrived in Shelton

Interesting local take on the closure http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/arklow-plant-punished-for-other-plants-inefficiencies-27820070.html, the plant was later dismantled and re-erected in India.

Shelton was sending out bagged fertiliser by rail up to around 2001 when IE decided that the traffic was unprofitable the Ammonia traffic continued until the Marino Point plant closed.

Edited by Mayner

42 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Did a pic of the Cawoods containers on Irish Rail ever materialise? 

I have seen a pic in an IRRS journal (cant remember which one) of them on 20ft flats behind a pair of Baby GMs. There was also pics of them on Facebook not too long ago at Barrick Street on flats.

• Like 2