Genuine Railwayana

Rate this topic

DERAILED

We already have a fairly jumbled up thread on fake signs and I thought it might be nice to have one on genuine items that still pop up from time to time.

This DNGR boundary marker sold on eBay today for £131 - quite a bargain for a fairly rare item. It came with a good provenance from a reliable seller - I think he's on here. Initially I was sceptical as a number of these have sold at auction over the years and there can't have been that many but the wear, paint etc. corresponds with other examples sold and added to the details the seller provided me with I was happy - to £66. I only wanted it to sell on and at £131 things were definitely too risky - a nice item.

dngr 1.jpg

Edited by DERAILED
  • Like 4

You strap them on your upper arm, so that everyone knows who’s doing a particular task, and remind you of your responsibilities. The pilot man comes into use for emergency single line working, any train passing through the affected stretch has to have him with the train, rather like a single line token with arms and legs. The lookout man goes with everyone working on the track where trains are operating, he has to be placed where he can see trains coming in time to give adequate warning for the guys to get clear. PICOP is where you have possession of a stretch of track  for engineering work, but you can still get trains wanting to pass through, such as a ballast train, say, and he has to give permission for the train to pass through that stretch, and make sure everybody is clear, also sign for the start and finish of possession. Engineering Supervisor is similar without the possession, mainly worrying about stuff like lookouts.  TSC is something stitched on since I retired.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

On 24/2/2024 at 12:57 PM, Broithe said:

Track Safety Coordinator..?

Full marks 😄

You can have a group TSC or solo TSC. Either is required for red zone working (live trains) without a lookout. Group is responsible for setting up a safe systems of work and designating the position of the lookout/s, where required, and the position of safety. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/2/2024 at 1:13 AM, WRENNEIRE said:

Picked this up recently from a real railway man, worked in Inchicore for over 40 years
Any info on it?

image.thumb.jpeg.71a9b91185f6e46eebce91af39e32663.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.53c10f42ad4a67663f7e0e428f85b4af.jpeg

These were obtained from another source
Are they Irish?

image.thumb.jpeg.7b90289d35189a3d615b6506d74ed9c7.jpeg

In addition to the above, while  I have not come across a TSC, all the others are used in the UK. In UK practice, the ES is responsible for one worksite within a possession, a combination of which is the overall responsibility of the PICOP. ‘Lookouts’ are no longer used in Scotland as ‘Red zone working’ in which workers share the tracks with normal traffic, has been deemed too dangerous.

On reflection, it may be that TSC is the Irish version of the UK’s ‘COSS’ (Controller of Site Safety).

Edited by flowcoach
Additional reflection.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Two interesting items sold at Mealy's Book Sale today. The first a really nice item but a little rough - Lot.672. Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Co.:  Souvenir Programme for Visit of the Directors... for Inspection of the Irish Portion of their Undertaking, ... 28th to 31st May 1938 only fetched €180.00 while a far inferior item - Lot.714. A CIE Railway Poster: Co. Cork, Excursion to Youghal, Sun 6th September, 1959 fetched €280.00!

At one time I would have been interested in the F&RRHC programme but the CIE poster - €20 on a good day.

fISHGUARD.jpg

Youghal.JPG

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

That poster is genuine but I have doubts about the writing.

I checked if the date shown was actually a Sunday; it was - but - pencil?

In this day and age it would be marker pen or printed off a computer. They had neither back then.

But they DID have ink! And it stood out more than pencil, which I never heard of being used for posters or public notices.

I’ll see if I’ve a weekly circular for that date when I get home, just for the craic…. 

• Informative 1

43 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

That poster is genuine but I have doubts about the writing.

I checked if the date shown was actually a Sunday; it was - but - pencil?

In this day and age it would be marker pen or printed off a computer. They had neither back then.

But they DID have ink! And it stood out more than pencil, which I never heard of being used for posters or public notices.

I’ll see if I’ve a weekly circular for that date when I get home, just for the craic…. 

Looks like a batch of posters obtained to be on hand at short-ish notice, which could then have the details written on, whenever they ran an excursion.

As a guess, they could have used ink, but that might run if (rain-)water got on it, whereas pencil wouldn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BSGSV said:

Looks like a batch of posters obtained to be on hand at short-ish notice, which could then have the details written on, whenever they ran an excursion.

As a guess, they could have used ink, but that might run if (rain-)water got on it, whereas pencil wouldn't.

Yes, they used to have poster "blanks" like that. Senior mentioned many moons ago about things like this in Enniskillen station for excursions variously to Dublin, Derry or Bundoran - I think the destination itself could also be written in. They also had blank luggage labels! If they ran out of a type of label for a particular destination, they would write a blank one until a new batch was delivered.

They used "copying ink" pencils. Anyone here remember these?

They wrote and looked like ordinary pencils, but once you'd written, if you put a damp cloth over the pencil writing it turned to an indelible purply-blue ink. This is the type of thing I would have expected any of these posters to be written with, as if they were pasted outside the pencil would take on the appearance of felt pen once it got damp. Overnight dew would even do the job.

• Informative 2

28 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The one on the right is almost certainly a dud. Bright white paper and felt-tip pen....prior to 1961! But, look closer..... by BUS!

Is this a more modern-day copy done thus, or just a plain dud?

No idea as that one isint mine!

The other ones is mine though…it’s a very stage poster with some very stage features regardless of its authenticity. For instance this signature “exhibit 2 Colm Creedon” 

I have seen a poster like this in one of Colm creedons photo folders hanging up on a wall….must find it 

5785DE8D-1849-49C1-8492-F17ADA2AEDA2.thumb.jpeg.79dbdc98308877860e7090ed5ca5ab8e.jpeg89187749-1E02-4117-B892-F0969ACD2619.thumb.jpeg.3faa495a04e1b0adf53d19d4d38bdc9d.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The one on the right is almost certainly a dud. Bright white paper and felt-tip pen....prior to 1961! But, look closer..... by BUS!

Not even a hint of yellowing, and a rail worker going to the effort of writing 'Ford' in that company's font, really? It looks like it's written with a black Sharpie, first sold in 1964!

If it was an excursion for Ford employees only, why put it on a poster (intended for general public)?

Everything about the second one is suspect!

37 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Rail and Bus. But the whole thing looks fabricated.

• Like 1