Goods shed -clonmel

Rate this question

Kirley

Question

Goods Shed at Clonmel.

I’m thinking of building a Goods Shed based on the one at Clonmel (see Kirley Junction Layout thread) and am looking for photographs of it or similar ones.

The photographs I have seen so far give me a limited view of three sides but none of the ‘road side’ wall.

ClonmelRailwayStation4x.jpg

Any help would be most appreciated.

24 answers to this question

Goods Shed at Clonmel.

I’m thinking of building a Goods Shed based on the one at Clonmel (see Kirley Junction Layout thread) and am looking for photographs of it or similar ones.

The photographs I have seen so far give me a limited view of three sides but none of the ‘road side’ wall.

Here you go

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/images/survey_specific/fullsize/22113004_1.jpg

Goods Shed at Clonmel.

I took loads of shots of the building and measurements over the last few years for my own project. The desktop suffered a boot disc failure but I hope to save the photos onto an external hard drive in the next few weeks. I would be glad to send them on to you when it's done. A lot has changed since that photo. The corrugated roof next to the Station building is long gone. That photo is from the late eighties or early nineties. The shed is a fine building, as is the shed that the ITG have in Carrick.

Rich,

I'm going to be in Clonmel late next week Kieran. I'll take a swing at the Fethard roundabout and take some pics and dimensions.I have some lying around somewhere, but it won't do any harm to get more. It will be my first trip to the station since they built the new road bridge. I'm going to build the signal cabin in it's condition before they added the portaloo. Signals from Des are already in the bits box.

Rich,

I'm going to be in Clonmel late next week Kieran. I'll take a swing at the Fethard roundabout and take some pics and dimensions.I have some lying around somewhere, but it won't do any harm to get more. It will be my first trip to the station since they built the new road bridge. I'm going to build the signal cabin in it's condition before they added the portaloo. Signals from Des are already in the bits box.

Rich,

Hi Rich

Did you get any photographs yet?

I’ve been trawling the Web for photographs and can get three sides but not the side facing the road. The nearest I’ve come is these two photographs which shows a canopy on that side.

Any photographs showing what wall openings were there and levels with the road would be great.

GoodsShed.jpg

GoodsShed2.jpg

Kieran,

Take a look at Wanderers Photographs of the Goods Shed in Cahir

Former Goods Store at Cahir. Mon 26.03.13

Even though it is a 3 bay loading side/3 window trackside configuration, the same would be true for Clonmel, albeit it is a 4 bay loading side/4 window trackside configuration. The load bays themselves would be 2438mm - 8' wide, though I haven't measured it, and the gap between is usually a multiple to suit the roof structure trusses, possibly 12'.

The far side of the goods shed is scarred where they retrofitted a chimney, the only example of a goods shed I can think of with a chimney. HTH. Richie.

0404.jpg

I visited Clonmel on Saturday and got over 160 photographs and some measurements of the Goods Shed, Station and area.

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

On seeing the Goods Shed up close you can see how it was changed over the years and lead me to wonder how, in its heyday, a Goods Shed worked. Obviously Goods Wagons were shunted into the Shed and unloaded to vehicles on the roadside of the Shed but I have not found any photographs of one in operation. Hoping to tap into the vast pool of knowledge out there.

On seeing the Goods Shed up close you can see how it was changed over the years and lead me to wonder how, in its heyday, a Goods Shed worked. Obviously Goods Wagons were shunted into the Shed and unloaded to vehicles on the roadside of the Shed but I have not found any photographs of one in operation. Hoping to tap into the vast pool of knowledge out there.

Looks like it had an end window high up on gable end when built, then blocked up and and arc roofed shed built end-on (possibly in corrugated iron with a raised timber floor?) and the brick lined doors being put in.

Faint traces of what looks like whitewash on the stonework, might have been applied when that wall was once 'indoors'.

Looks like it had an end window high up on gable end when built, then blocked up and and arc roofed shed built end-on (possibly in corrugated iron with a raised timber floor?) and the brick lined doors being put in.

I think you have got it MFH, the opposite gable only has the rail entrance and a window high up. So probably when built this gable end was the same and at a later stage the centre and right hand doorways were added. Still hoping someone has an interior shot of a Goods Shed.

I think you have got it MFH, the opposite gable only has the rail entrance and a window high up. So probably when built this gable end was the same and at a later stage the centre and right hand doorways were added. Still hoping someone has an interior shot of a Goods Shed.

The add-on to the store is visible in osi mapviewer, so it existed circa 1900.

Interestingly, it also shows 2 other 'Goods Sheds', on same side of line, 'fore' and 'aft' of the currently existing one.

The one at the Waterford end looks shoehorned between the road accessing the main store and the sidings, perhaps a late addition?

Edited by minister_for_hardship

The shed extension might have been a WLWR thing, Tuam goods shed had a similar arc roofed timber framed extension. The goods sheds more or less functioned in a similar manner to a modern Logistics warehouse or distribution depot, as a local distribution centre and warehouse. There was little or no modernisation or mechanical handling into the 1960s when the railways started to palletise sundries traffic. The goods shed would have been used for more urgent/valuable sundries traffic basically anything from a needle to an anchor, beers, wines, spirits, cigarettes, motor parts, tyres etc, individual full wagon loads could be loaded/collected by the customer on a milage siding. Several stores including Clonmel were used as bagged cement stores under Railplan 80 with sundries traffic handled in caged pallets in Uniload containers. Before containerisation the goods sheds tended to be used for sundries traffic, with wagon loads handled outside the shed. A farmer might buy a wagon load of cement or fertiliser and use"his wagon" as a mobile warehouse unloading it when needed. This still goes on to a certain extent with train load traffic in the US a broker might buy a train load of grain or other commodity during a glut and store it in a yard somewhere until the price rises.

The add-on to the store is visible in osi mapviewer, so it existed circa 1900.

I looked at the OS map and was surprised at just how crowded the station area was in the 1900's. This Station ends up with so many eras one could model and I'll have to decide on which one.

Several stores including Clonmel were used as bagged cement stores under Railplan 80 with sundries traffic handled in caged pallets in Uniload containers.

Thanks John for adding your extensive knowledge of these matters, it was very helpful. The Yellow Irish Cement Depot sign is still on the centre doorway.