'Kent Station' build

Rate this topic

scahalane

Thanks for the kind comments. At the moment I've only got a bog standard Hornby elite controller any advise on what I should upgrade to. I'm thinking about the Prodigy Advance wireless.

It might be worth checking out the new Hornby computer system. It's been getting very favourable comments and I think it can inter grate with the elite. Might be worth checking out!

Stunning work overall. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks for the kind comments. At the moment I've only got a bog standard Hornby elite controller any advise on what I should upgrade to. I'm thinking about the Prodigy Advance wireless.

I will have 1 or you and one for me to play with:tumbsup: !!! Ill take you up on that!! I bring the biccys...

The new Elink from hornby is getting some good feedback, You can Control via a Laptop ( no controller needed) if you are into that or Roco do a system that runs from a smart phone. Not sure ofthe name of it but will be heading up to a chaps house to take a gander!! Anyone that has a phone can connect up a drive a loco!! madness!!

Reports from Warley are indicating all the DCC lads were operating the layouts with Tablets and Smartphones apparently. I would need a few tablets after working trying to figure the set up out at the start though!!

Also have the Prodigy and very easy it is to use too. Previously had a Lenz 90, which though it works well enough is not very intuitive to use. Always had to have the handbook available & [a bit like the German language] things are not always in the order you expect them. Easy to fry the master unit too. I know, I did it twice, though repairs are free.

Something very special brewing in the loft methinks, that loco shed is certainly a labour of love, but the whole thing has a very nice feel about it. Bodes well...

I made a slight mistake on my earlier post when I said my controller was a Hornby Elite, its in fact the more basic Select controller. I've being looking at the hornby elink and railmasters combination pack and it looks very interesting and not too expensive. A few issues I have however; I wonder can this work with the Select so I can override the control from the computer and also now that I've started wiring for manual control of the points, is it possible to control my points using both the dcc railmasters system and my analogue switches (which call me old fashioned I think I'd prefer.)

I made a slight mistake on my earlier post when I said my controller was a Hornby Elite, its in fact the more basic Select controller. I've being looking at the hornby elink and railmasters combination pack and it looks very interesting and not too expensive. A few issues I have however; I wonder can this work with the Select so I can override the control from the computer and also now that I've started wiring for manual control of the points, is it possible to control my points using both the dcc railmasters system and my analogue switches (which call me old fashioned I think I'd prefer.)

I'm not 100% on the answers to your queries but there are a series of reviews on YouTube which may help? http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hornby+elink&sm=1

You might be better off Analogue on the points as controlling the locos are effort enough without having to route set on the console as well Expecially given all the points you have. You can have your mini CTC on a panel. Loking forward to the ammonia being routed up into the cobh Platforms by mistake!!!

That was my feeling as well. It will be a while though before the cobh platform is operational and as far as my ammonia's are concerned they still need couplings!!

Amazing work Scahalane. Very well photographed too. The engine shed is some scale... WOW! The A-class complete with Amonia wagons is looking very well. And really liking the 'street view' of the viaduct over Glanmire road. Complete with 'Cork Dry Gin' posters or course. Words dont do it justice :cool:

Tom

The more I look the more confused I'm getting. I think I'll stick with my analogue point system and select controller for a while yet.

Well my DCC system can control points but I opted for the analogue panel. I don't fancy trying to switch points while driving a loco...

As for the Select, it's perfectly adequate if you just want to drive trains. But I would recommend sticking to Hornby decoders when using it, it can be finicky with other brands. I had one myself for about a year, but upgraded when I got into DCC sound.

Rails are selling these for £100 today for one day only if you're feeling flush. Great saving https://railsofsheffield.com/prodigy-express-package-dcc01-JJJA18232.aspx

• 3 months later...

I've been busy with work, so not as much progress as I'd have liked here. I managed to get most of the wiring done, so all of the points bar 3 are working. I made the point control board out of perspex, its a bit more polished compared to its prototype!!! I'm using a 20 volt dell laptop power adapter to power the points with a CDU for extra kick and it works a charm. All the underlay is glued and the track is nailed in place so I've fallen into the trap of watching trains wiz'n round instead of building!!

image.jpeg.4924a1407aaf0a8dbf3cf2d9186ad1a6.jpeg

image.jpeg.cb6283860f12e0ae2905e8095c03c609.jpeg

I've installed the rest of the internal columns into the shed, which were constructed from lolly pop sticks and plastic sheet.

image.jpeg.ac8456c6448fbae868c58fb3b44cefbb.jpeg

I've been constructing a number of buildings out of card and Das clay, I have say I really love the Das stuff.

image.jpeg.504bc449d53e78d009dbc1da54f4bdd8.jpeg

image.jpeg.1eaa7b0f1a7fb0b90d1190e9163aa32f.jpeg

Got a start on the Cobh/Midleton platform.

image.jpeg.4774ed03c716e72eb438e3a719a1bc32.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.28951b4007f1297332b07b7e1df00abc.jpeg

image.jpeg.d078f1d1dad7a4bf558784635276e574.jpeg

image.jpeg.f466abe800a4802217d948c3b42ca4a6.jpeg

image.jpeg.a8d8d0cff56c9b2e92e4dd0a899abc84.jpeg

At the far eastern side of Cork station on the Cobh line there's a lovely group of terraced houses leading to a footbridge over the line called Beales Hill, I'm trying to squeeze it in to my layout as nice scenic break. There will be a fairly dramatic cliff face to the left here hiding the block wall.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff86cdc9d3025f710218a758bb6ca425.jpeg

image.jpeg.c8d59e667755bdd8299d738c5f7f1c35.jpeg

image.jpeg.d88736b394400b1d0f482a18c3dfecab.jpeg

Edited by scahalane

Quality work Scahalane.

I can see all the components coming together very nicely, the bridge, the rock face, terraced houses etc... excellent stuff. I bet it's a pleasure to watch trains flow through it. The 'Das' clay looks very effective, were did ya get it, Easons? :-bd

Tom.