'Kent Station' build

Rate this topic

scahalane

Sean,

It's a joy to see you back in gear again, and doing an absolute stonking job to boot. Between yerself doing "De real capital" and Warb doing the "other one", we are really seeing two layouts that do a fabulous trick of having a model, that just happens to have a railway running through it, seemingly blending the ordinary day to day with the railway as "almost incidental". It's bloody fantastic workmanship, dedication, and research. 

richie. 

(The lads sent me the link to the thread whilst in Lisbon airport, (I wasn't surveying aul trams @BosKonay ) and as soon as I saw a ton of photos, I closed it, and waited to get home for a "proper goo" 😛 )

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the supportive comments lads, its much apprechiated. The photo's are an accumulation of work on the layout over the past 2 or 3 years, mainly in the winter months as other hobbies take over when the sun is out.

I've been trying different modelling techniques over this time. Originally I was using printed imagery on card, which is a very nice and quick way of working but a family of Silverfish (all 1000 of them) took up residence in the attic and love anything starchy like photo's or printed material.

This drove me nearly mad and nearly away from the layout altogether as every time I went to work on it huge area's would be eaten away. I'm now relying more on das clay and plastic as my preferred medium's using card as the substructure. But Silverfish will eat anything including the pva for ballast, static grass you name it!! (You got to love them though! they've been on this planet alot longer than us and probably will be still here long after we've vacated. In terms of my overall progress, I always viewed this as a long term project to be built over many years (20 plus or so).  In order to tackle this and out of necessity to the space I'm working in I've split the layout into 3 main sections. (1) 'The Yard'  I've nearly completed this part. (2) 'The Main Station' the next and most exciting part. (3) 'The Tunnel' which will connect both area's. I break each section down into separate diorama's that feed into each other, for instance the current section has about 5 dioramas that I'm working on. The Shed area links to the lower Glanmire Rd/bridge area which links to the Beales Hill/footbridge area. Most of the area's can be easily disassembled for working on down stairs but is not suitable for exhibition traveling. They've been times when I loose a little interest in the hobby and I have to walk away from it for a while but I always keep tabs on the great work that's been shown on this website and come back with renewed vigour. Thanks again.

• Like 9

why not sell beer,  by the reaction you got from everyone so far, you could sell day tickets (as already suggested/requested) to visit your layout, and charge extra for d beer,  if you rent out a net to catch silver fish as well,

Beer, trains and fishing, .. Cork would never be so good

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, scahalane said:

a family of Silverfish (all 1000 of them) took up residence in the attic and love anything starchy like photo's or printed material.

This drove me nearly mad and nearly away from the layout altogether as every time I went to work on it huge area's would be eaten away. I'm now relying more on das clay and plastic as my preferred medium's using card as the substructure. But Silverfish will eat anything including the pva for ballast, static grass you name it!! (You got to love them though! they've been on this planet alot longer than us and probably will be still here long after we've vacated.

Scahalane your comment on Silverfish made me think,

Not that I have them in house yet, too many spiders, *o* me thinks if i added borax to the PVA, it would probably keep them from eating it.

5 hours ago, WaYSidE said:

Scahalane your comment on Silverfish made me think,

Not that I have them in house yet, too many spiders, *o* me thinks if i added borax to the PVA, it would probably keep them from eating it.

Way a head of you on that, have tried everything including adding borax to pva, trust me these guys are very intelligent and can wait for a long time and find alernative ways of going about their business. Most cemicals have a life span including borax (about 6 months and these guys seem to now that!!). In terms of spiders they will disapear around the months when spiders are most active only to re-emerge later.

I have tried the organic method of using diatomaceous earth and the non organic full suit up with mask and napalm the place both don't work!! Now I have learned to embrace them and welcome them as part of my layout!!!

6 hours ago, scahalane said:

trust me these guys are very intelligent and can wait for a long time and find alernative ways of going about their business.  I have learned to embrace them and welcome them as part of my layout!!!

just googled all the alternatives, in that case, you have only one choice,

I suggest...

Start teaching them about the intricacies of model rail,

Personally i would start with the difference tween insuf' and electrofrog, quickly move to what you consider the best method of block detection and occupancy, do an hour of which cab is best?, a few hours on what the best ballast should interest them, but the killer blow that will send them all to sleep is the seemingly age old soapbox rant on invoking which is best, end to end or loops, when the poor critters are bamboozled introduce them to weathering, then kit bashing and to nail the coffin with whats live on the disused prototype, if that dont work, read them train time tables,

and before you say it, or read them my posts on IRM,

thers always leaving lead a lead based solder again the soldering iron and closed the windows seal the vents and there dead in moments, 

do you know professionals can smoke them out with nasty firework type slow burning chemicals, there used in glasshouses to destroy all life, you could return about a week later, the smell the smoke the products leave is cruel, lasts about two weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
5 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Horray he is back! few bobs worth or plastic there. No silver fish to worry about this time!

That was the thinking..hope it works!

1 hour ago, Bob229 said:

Kent fine Station a step back in time red brick building and white square tile design on the curved platform, difficult to model have tried,  fantastic model above looking forward to seeing it develop, well done

I was thinking of getting a vinyl from a photoshop design printed up to replicate the platform tiling. I think that will be the easiest way..otherwise alot of masking and spay painting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scahalane said:

That was the thinking..hope it works!

I was thinking of getting a vinyl from a photoshop design printed up to replicate the platform tiling. I think that will be the easiest way..otherwise alot of masking and spay painting.

Good idea would give a nice finish the other way is more difficult, fantastic work keep going it will be worth it, looking forward to seeing more updates

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This Layout is amazing - the lower road bridge and the buildings bring me right back.  Well done to you.

"The next big hurdle will be the roof and trusses!! Still trying to figuring out what to do for that! " - This chap is doing something similar with a curved roof, his channel might be of some help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCABk7RxkTI

JB

• Like 1

Thanks for the link JB. Very interesting and similar. I was thinking of soldering metal as well but was worried about the weight. I have a 3d printer (which I still haven't used a year after building!) and I'm going to do a few experiments with that. I'm thinking maybe a combimation of metal and 3d printed plastic might be the best solution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the progress of the main roof trusses which I'm 3d printing. I had to simplify the 3d model as earlier designs which had more detail didn't print very well.

I'm going to need 60 in total so very glad of the extra hand!  Every 10th one will be made in brass for extra strength and these will be taking the weight with the printed ones acting as mainly cosmetic although they are in themselves fairly strong. 

I'm planning on making the roof in 3 sections for easy access for cleaning etc.

938537413_3dtruss.thumb.jpg.f7783e2fa74d4dbfc17f158be433abc1.jpg

1189782222_trussconstruction.thumb.jpg.1dd4c46c0d541fbfda47638a8aa872c7.jpg

• Like 12
  • WOW! 5

• 1 year later...

Like????

This is astonishing work, Scahalane! That roof alone is just epic and good luck with the glazing, by the way...

Most of us are happy to work at the smaller scale end of things, but every now and again, someone not only comes up with something truly remarkable in scope, but also has the skill, vision and determination to see it through. 

By the twitching of my thumbs, something extraordinary this way comes!

Just wonderful. Well done sir!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Amazing work, you set the bar very high for the rest of us.

I'm reminded of a story about the first gig Jimi Hendrix played in London. As soon as the gig ended someone saw Eric Clapton heading out the door and said are you not going to the after gig party Eric. No said Eric I'm going home to practice. You are sir, the Jimi Hendrix of Irish railway modelling. Inspiring stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1