Cost effective remotor options for the Lima 201

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Modeltorque and that one are identical. I have remotored two 201s, a few class 50's, and a bunch of other locos. No difference whatsover, and if you like the grumbling of a ringfield and complete inability for a soft start, go for it. Personnally i love the nostalgia factor, but i think others who run locos to a dcc standard will see it as a wasted investment.

Is it worth putting a donor chassis under the old 201s, and what is a suitable co co chassis for one? I'm amazed at the prices some of those old Lima 201 and 2xcarriage sets fetch - when you think of the amazing running of the Murphys 201s and fantastic Mark IIs now available? Each to his/her own I suppose - you spend your money and make your choices.

I guess boxed sets like the one on ebay at the moment are selling purely to collectors.

I've probably got 6 'running' Limas, as opposed to the boxed mint ones, which have been weathered, detailed, etc, some even have DCC chips installed on the old Lima motors. they still sound like tractors, but look good :)

I got rid of all my Lima 201s,mainly as I wanted to sound chip one and

the Murphy new 201,and so handy to stick a bass reflex speaker in.

I did have a look at Toms(River Suir) MIR 201 with a Class 66 chasssis

and she was a super runner and very smooth.I dont know if anyone stuck

a 66 chassis under a Lima 201.

I ve lima 219 remotored with a Bachmann cl 66 chassis as well, she's numbered as 202 these days;).To get the 66 chassis to fit the lima involves quite a bit of work, the lads in the mrsi built a maxed out one with loads of extra details a few years back. The main problem with any remotoring job on the 201 is the bogies and the wheel spacings, the bachmann bogie is a lot more bulky than the Murphy lima or new 201 version.

Edited by Riversuir226

I ve lima 219 remotored with a Bachmann cl 66 chassis as well, she's numbered as 202 these days;).To get the 66 chassis to fit the lima involves quite a bit of work, the lads in the mrsi built a maxed out one with loads of extra details a few years back. The main problem with any remotoring job on the 201 is the bogies and the wheel spacings, the bachmann bogie is a lot more bulky than the Murphy lima or new 201 version.

Any advice Tom on the conversion. I know from your work bench you did a MIR 201 conversion but would welcome any advice on the Lima one

I done the lima conversion slightly different than the mir's. I kept one end of the bachmann chassis as is and scratchbuilt a new buffer beam plus skirts for the other end. The end that's not used needs to be cut back slightly at a point just inside the bufferbeam. I also dismantled the bachmann fuel tanks and scratchbuilt a new fuel tank etc using a later murphys 201 as a reference.

Edited by Riversuir226

I dont know if anyone stuck a 66 chassis under a Lima 201.

I put a 66 under my Lima 219 a while back also. I think I had some pics up on the old site but I stuck in a few below. I added lights and an SSM detail kit when I was at it and I think it scrubbed up fairly well :) If anyone wants more advice or pics I'll do my best to help!

Photo0221.jpg

Photo0220.jpg

Photo0231.jpg

Next to her newer Murphy's sister!

I do think the livery on the Limas, colour wise is more accurate than the Murphys 201s. The orange is just too light, it's about 4 shades above the yellow bands on the cabs imo. The yellow face orange 201s have it spot on though as they had a much richer shade than when they were delivery new.