Richrua's workbench

Rate this topic

richrua

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this non-prototypical spray effort on an old br mk2 brake lying about. It was from when I restarted the hobby a couple of years ago. I have since learned what actually ran in Ireland ! So taking a break from the gen van I decided I would use it as a weathering excercise. I also blanked out some windows with "boards" so that on the layout it might pass for a worn out centre door mk2. image.jpg

I tried some dry weathering

image.jpg

image.jpg

And added the boards to keep the rain out

image.jpg

The Gards were often called out to acts of vandalism in the yard

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by richrua

Ha! that's pretty effective!

One thing I'd say is to get a rubbish brush and load it up with your weathering material and really jam it in around the roof vents. Roof dirt generally was uniform until the tumbledown where the wash brushes gave it an irregular finish.

Good work though, +1 for a bit of hard effort

R.

On the layout with a very neat number 182 .....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25144[/ATTACH]

Super job remodelling one of those old triang hornby mk1s into a superb example of a CIE GSV. Looks the biz. 182 was the first Murphy Model I saw back around 2008 and bought it on the spot thinking wow, Irish models have gone into another dimension. That model got me back in the hobby. Your successful GSV conversion has me thinking about my Crimson & Cream liveried BR Mk1s that also have riveted on bogies and have been in storage boxes since about 1979. I doubt I could match your efforts but it would be pleasing to try and convert one or two instead of buy more RTR. Now that your a dab hand at weathering presume your 182 might get de-pristined a little. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Rich

I will send you a full size roof layout showing the positions of the vents.I basically remove the Dapol toilet plumbing mouldings and leave the strips.

I found it easer to build these coaches with a removable body rather than a removable roof by gluing the roof to the body before cutting out for the window openings & floor. https://www.facebook.com/jmdesignmodelrailways.

I ended up replacing the original donor body used in the original test build of the Buffet Car and re-using the overlays

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2921-Tales-from-the-carriage-shops/page10

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reading the IFM coaches thread on the other page with interest. I think another benefit of the many smaller suppliers of kits and models is the sheer variety, which led me to carriages that I didn't know anything about. By the kit for the Bredin sides being available I learnt a lot about the history of these carriages .plus having fun building it of course. Anyway, I decided to try to add a light strip , it didn't quite work with only one led but I'll add another. I made up a small battery box that sits under the carriage and holds two small round watch type batteries. The batteries are available these days from the pound shops in packs of 20. Anyway, it was fun. IMG_20170311_003350_hdr.jpg

IMG_20170310_224902_hdr.jpgIMG_20170310_224902_hdr.jpg

20170311_025524.jpg

20170311_025645.jpg

IMG_20170311_001433_hdr.jpg

20170311_025539.jpg

These are very nice etches but for the purist the are not prototypical for length as they're designed for a specific donor to make them affordable. It's a shame there isn't a suitable Irish donor of the correct width and shape. I'm holding out to see if John can do a full length and width coach or series of coaches when he has completed the long list of other projects he has. While I did't when I should have I may special order from him if the full length coach does not materialize.

Well done, Rich for having a stab at lighting the coach. There are several videos online of single LEDs with a diffuser attempting to light a coach but it is very uneven and better with at least two. You can get strips of LEDs with have all the circuitry built into the strip including a bridge rectifier which will sort out any problems with polarity for the LEDs if powered from the track via the bogies. Should not a be a problem for you since you've gone with batteries placed in , well, the under frame battery box!

I can't recall if the strips have any capacitance built in to reduce flicker but again probably not a problem with batteries.

Hi david. It is a can of spray called plastkote garden green. Not a great model spray but only thing I could get.

Yes indeed dive controller. The kit will do me for now. I quiteblike it. Funny enough I would never bother putting lights in a rtr coach , but because this was a conversion job I fiugured I'd give it a go . I'm gonna add another led and the stripe and number of course.