Richrua's workbench

Rate this topic

richrua

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I'm like my mammy. I tend not to throw things out! This is one of those dapol kit footbridges . It fell apart after many years in a box. Bit of glue and a spray and a weather and it ll be grand! [ATTACH=CONFIG]17961[/ATTACH]

It used to be an Airfix kit in the 70s. I still have one painted green on the layout. It came with optional extension pieces in case it was mounted at track level rather than on a platform when less air draft clearance would be needed. Its funny how the moulds and tooling for many popular long standing kits have moved from one company to another over the years.

No I don't think it is prototypical of anything Irish or not! The old kits, structures, were often made up! It is possible that it has a UK prototype I suppose.

I'm pretty sure I got this in marks models about 30 years ago. Pretty sure it was a dapol kit back then! I also have a cattle truck and brake van kits. Poorly built by a young me, but I do have the lovely airfix coloured boxes they came in!

• 4 weeks later...

metcalfe call this a factory entrance, but I see a Convent or Monastery. it will sit on my Main Street as an overlooked feature of any large Irish town. the bell tower could be taller, the brick perhaps a little orangy but with a statue it will work.

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a good look at castle Street/ Ann street in Ballycastle Antrim, one of the 'classic' irish main streets, built in fits and starts a couple of hundred years ago. Took basic measurements from the kits and the ould house. It isnt prototypical of an exact building but just wanted something to fit in. Thanks! I do try....

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18822[/ATTACH] I am enjoying this whole scratch building malarkey but I couldn't do a chassis

Now there speaks the truth. Tricky divils depending how they are approached. Lots of detail and they also have to be true and square. My own thoughts are to consider function over form. Use foldable brass to ensure free running and then glue on the detail, aftermarket if need be.