Richrua's workbench

Rate this topic

richrua

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving the brick works its own siding would add to the operation of the layout. Does anyone know when this traffic ended and what kind of wagons were used?

It looks like the brickworks had a siding at one stage http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,679660,795462,11,9. Loading wagons on the running line may have started after the ending of passenger services in the late 1940s.

John O'Meara wrote papers on the Meath Line that were published in the IRRS Journal one in the 1950s and a second more recently.

Brick traffic seems to have been carried in standard open wagons, the railway would have gone by the 1970s when bricks were delivered direct from the works to construction sites using trucks with mechanical grabs.

Gypsum (in opens and hoppers)seems to have been the only traffic handled when I travelled over the line in an IRRS special in 75 or 76, though it looked like the goods shed had been recently used for bagged cement traffic. Navan (GNR) looked very busy at the time with bagged cement (in H Vans) and Guinness traffic.

• 2 months later...

image.jpg

I picked up this N class for a very reasonable price. The task is to convert it to the Irishy one and also To DCC while I am at it. I can do the DCC conversion no bother, but need help with the Irishising. I know the two deflector plates have got to go, but any advice on what else? Also, livery advice would be great as I can't seem to find many pics of this loco in Ireland.

Richrua,Irish railways in Colour a second glance 1947-70 by Tom Ferris page 14&15 will help you no end LH & RH views. Mine is based on 378 green lined with LNE B&W transfers but my loco was dark green to start with. Bob Wills of South Eastern finecast will sell you snifting valves for the smokebox but you will need to modify them for the footplate. Only thing that displeases me is the smokebox door if you find a solution please post:) I thought I had posted a couple of pictures of my attempt. Good luck Mike

Plaster it with rivets! Put on a smokebox door handle: Des might supply you with one.

Livery wise: GSR/CIE overall grey or CIE green(to a few). In the late 50s near the end of steam some were given grey BUT with a black smokebox. I think one was given black, with cherry red lining, although that livery looked very British to me. One or two were given a plain black

Livery. Hope this helps!

Edited by GSR 800

If you want something a bit different model the loco in mid 1930s virtually same as the English locos apart from the grey livery, name plates no smoke deflectors . No need to change the smoke box door or other CIE modifications. Bachmann or Dapol LMS corridor coaches would almost pass for a GSR mainline set in the new Maroon livery

Edited by Mayner

If you want something a bit different model the loco in mid 1930s virtually same as the English locos apart from the grey livery, name plates no smoke deflectors . No need to change the smoke box door or other CIE modifications. Bachmann or Dapol LMS corridor coaches would almost pass for a GSR mainline set in the new Maroon livery

GSR used a shade of maroon and lining style after 1933, with the introduction of the first batch of "Bredin" coaches, which was indistinguishable from the LMS (and by extension, the NCC!). So, removal of LMS style lettering and crest, and replacement with GSR, is all that's needed.

That's a great pic Bosko. Looks like she is paired with a tender from one of her green sisters

I've seen that before - but there's another interesting point. Grey tenders sometime had light green snails, sometimes unmarked. But green ones always had snails and lining - except this one! It's just plain green, one of those occasional livery "aberrations"!

I've seen a picture of a 400 somewhere in green, and no lining is visible, though it's quite probably there but can't be seen because the engine is absolutely filthy, and it's a poor photograph. I'll see if I can find it.

She was repainted the standard way (and is thus the "go-to" reference for proper CIE green) but the snails omitted as (a) it was the currently-used logo, and (b) it was leaving CIE ownership. It remained like that in Witham Street, and is snail-less when moved in 1993 or thereabouts to Cultra.

The UFTM added the G S lettering and crest when it arrived there, which (like virtually everything else they painted) is incorrect. In that green, with that lining, it should have a snail. If they wanted GSR style, a lighter green with the lining in black and yellow, not black and white, is what's required.

When new, the grey looked very shiny and had, according to eyewitnesses, a "bluish tinge". When the RPSI (accurately) turned 186 out like that some years ago, this was evident. The shade of grey on that beasy is correct. When weathered, it often looked darker, possibly due to being cleaned with dirty rags, and coal dust getting ground in. Numerals pale yellow, snails (if used on tender) light green.....

Now. Daylight has risen. This thing was built by my granddad while he was an apprentice draughtsman. To paint it, he just nipped over to the paint shop..... obviously, this was in GSWR times, but the shade was the same until CIE abandoned steam in 1963.

I pray your forebearance; for what I'm about to upload, the chances are that they'll all be upside down.

If I get even one the right way up, I'm sure josefstadt and garfieldsghost will buy me a few pints of black stuff, and sing "Hallelujah"!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now here's a thing. You'll notice how much darker it looks in areas in shade. Thus, from a modeller's perspective, looking down from above, it looks lighter - more true, in fact. At ground level, some bits look dark, and this on a "clean" loco. Add poor light on a dull day, or a little over exposure in photographs, and it's easy to see why many photos of GSR / CIE locos actually look black.

The slight "bluish tint" on a newly painted loco is evident. The grey painted con-rods are sometimes prototypical, though many were bare metal. Wheels were always grey.

Edited by jhb171achill

For "control" or comparison purposes, the same engine in artifical light.

Sometimes the GSWR and GSR painted the cab interior a dull mid-brown. This is shown here too.

Also, for good measure, a GSR crest on genuine post-1933 GSR (LMS!) maroon.

image.jpgCH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22397[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22396[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22398[/ATTACH]

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by jhb171achill

John, when you go to post there is three options(pick a card) (A) Post quick reply (B) Go advanced and © cancel. Click on go advanced. This allows you to see what your post would look like before you post it. Very handy if your trying to make sure you get those pints.. I mean pics, the right way up.

• 3 weeks later...