Richrua's workbench

Rate this topic

richrua

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

silly notion really. but the cheap shop are doing these LED strings for 2.50. Battery powered with aa batteries. battery pack would be easily replaced with low voltage old phone charger if needed. I am going to put them into a few near by buildings just to see how they look. Colour of light is a bit stark.

1415388041835.jpg

20141115_204848.jpg

working on a silver fox c class. Developing a real liking for these kits. Once upon a time i would never have taken a saw to any model trains, but now i just chop away.

I am using the class 73 as it is dcc ready. This involves chopping a lump out of the middle and also wittling down the cab a bit. Also removing buffer beams. I left the old body there to give an idea of former size.

Thank you. It runs grand . I need to squash the weights back in though because it is too light on its feet at the mo. I have only run on dc. I have a chip for it and will dcc test it later and let you know how it does at slow speeds etc. Was a cheap eBay purchase - there are a good few 73 s about. the 73 body wasn't perfect so that knocked it down a bit, but I will never use the body so I don't care!

Thanks lads. Great tip on the felt tip pen Glenderg thanks I will try that tomorrow. I couldnt resist setting it on the chassis for a little test spin. Running ok. Not quite a bachmann or murphy but a fair way smoother than I expected. Runs quite well at low speed but i think keeping the wheels clean will be key as the hornby dcc class 73 chassis im using isnt as heavy as a murphy.

• 5 weeks later...

Nollaig shona dhaoibh go léir. Havent been up to much apart from this massive throwback . Built a little switch box for my point and light switches etc. I will be running them non dcc because the cost of extra dcc controllers for points etc is mental. I am losing out on an excellent aspect of the railmaster software as a result, but maybe sometime in the future.

at least thisll work for now. 1419814765522.jpg

• 1 month later...