Lidl Airbrush 300W

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

The airbrush itself doesn't look up to much, but good for getting used to cleaning, technique, do's and dont's. After that a cheapy dual action can be got on fleabay and you're away in a hack. The genny is good value too, though I don't see a moisture trap. Worth a punt if you're interested I reckon.

The also have large swivel bench vices on this week along with digital calipers, which might be of interest also.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-555AE564-A5FF93B6/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?id=244

R.

Like Broithe said, its a mini spray gun and won't be very accurate. Also no regulator or moisture trap. If one was serious about getting an airbrush stay away as you will spend more money in the long run buying this and then replacing it later with better kit.

I got a great book by George Dent Airbrushing for railway modeller's. I took my time buying my airbrush and I'm glad that I did.

When buying any gear like compressors or air brushes make sure that spare parts are readily available. The airbrush as it is described is a splatter gun and would be unsuitable for the clean and tidy finish that modelers require. If you are going to be doing a lot of work with the compressor I would advice one with an air reservoir tank and moisture trap as has been mentioned.

For a starter the Badger 200 is a great piece of kit and with practice can produce some tasty work. When you improve a double action airbrush is a must, for more detailed work.

Rich,

Hi guys & thanks for all the info, I'm going to have to get me an airbrush, Aldi Lidl or who ever ! one day, and I'll have to get as much info as is available, as I do'nt have a clue as to what an air reservoir, or double action airbrush, or a moisture trap is, so I'll be looking around for a piece of kit that I feel will suit, :tumbsup:

Hi guys & thanks for all the info, I'm going to have to get me an airbrush, Aldi Lidl or who ever ! one day, and I'll have to get as much info as is available, as I do'nt have a clue as to what an air reservoir, or double action airbrush, or a moisture trap is, so I'll be looking around for a piece of kit that I feel will suit, :tumbsup:

http://www.irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/485-What-Air-Brush

Hi guys again, just spent the last hour+ reading all the info regarding compressors, spray guns, etc.etc. is the only way I can refer to all the other stuff that comes with an airbrush, I'm more confused now than ever, I think I'll leave it to the ones who know about these things :confused:

Hi Burnthebox,

Spent about 40 minutes watching the three parts to this guys videos of choosing the right airbrush. Similar to yourself I've spent hours in the past reading over things only to become more confused or lack understanding of what is meant by what.

Hope this helps.

Tim.

It's really straightforward lads, no smoke and mirrors to worry about.

The compressor is just a pump which feeds pressurized air out through the hose. On it's way is usually a moisture trap - this takes the moisture out of the air going to the gun, otherwise you get splatters of water droplets running up to the gun, firing out onto the model unannounced and ruining any finish.

Then there is a regulator which is supposed to adjust the pressure up and down. I have one on my compressor but it's like the banking regulator. Doesn't really do anything useful as far as I can see.

The gun itself is straightforward enough. There is either single action or dual action. Single means it fires pressure and paint when engaged. Dual action allows you vary air/paint by rocking the trigger so you avoid drowning a model. This is a must IMHO.

Then there is the way the paint goes into the gun - by cup at the top which feeds into the air flow or via suction by a jar. Unless you're doing large volume spraying, a cup is sufficient.

Lastly, there is nozzle size. 0.3mm is enough to get started (.2,0.5, and 0.8 are also available) but you can buy nozzles and needles afterward and swap them about with the same airbrush - think caligraphy nibs on fountain pens.

This is very very similar to the kit I bought a few years ago when I killed my last compressor, and can't recommend these guys highly enough.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-/290631202312?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item43aaf83608

R

It's really straightforward lads, no smoke and mirrors to worry about.

The compressor is just a pump which feeds pressurized air out through the hose. On it's way is usually a moisture trap - this takes the moisture out of the air going to the gun, otherwise you get splatters of water droplets running up to the gun, firing out onto the model unannounced and ruining any finish.

Then there is a regulator which is supposed to adjust the pressure up and down. I have one on my compressor but it's like the banking regulator. Doesn't really do anything useful as far as I can see.

The gun itself is straightforward enough. There is either single action or dual action. Single means it fires pressure and paint when engaged. Dual action allows you vary air/paint by rocking the trigger so you avoid drowning a model. This is a must IMHO.

Then there is the way the paint goes into the gun - by cup at the top which feeds into the air flow or via suction by a jar. Unless you're doing large volume spraying, a cup is sufficient.

Lastly, there is nozzle size. 0.3mm is enough to get started (.2,0.5, and 0.8 are also available) but you can buy nozzles and needles afterward and swap them about with the same airbrush - think caligraphy nibs on fountain pens.

This is very very similar to the kit I bought a few years ago when I killed my last compressor, and can't recommend these guys highly enough.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-/290631202312?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item43aaf83608

R

That kit is very reasonably priced! For little more than the cost of the Lidl one, you get something far more suitable for modelling work :tumbsup:

Hi Everyone.

One thing I would add regarding Compressors is the type available.

There are Compressors with & without air storage tanks.

The ones without the air storage tank can mean that the air pulses as it comes out of the air brush because its coming straight from the compressor.

The compressors with the air storage tanks gives a much smoother air delivery because the air is coming from the storage tank & this removes any pulses from the air supply. They are very quiet as the compressor only comes on to replenish the tank. In a compressor without a storage tank the compressor will need to work all the time.

In this E bay link you will see the two types in the picture.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Airbrush-Kit-Set-Compressor-Tank-Air-Brushes-Hose-Nail-Art-Tatoo-Paint-Stencil-/121119576120?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&var=&hash=item1c334a1038

The compressor on the left has no air storage tank while the one on the right has a tank.

For the extra few pounds involved i would recommend the compressor with the tank.

I have never dealt with this seller. I just picked that link to show the difference between the two types of compressor.

I have one of the ones with the air storage tank similar to the one in the picture & I like it.

Tony

just for a few pointers Richie - while using any paint ie humbrol - can you use straight from the tin or do you have to use thinners?

Yeah, a little bit of thinners/water (dependant on enamel/acrylic) is a must. I thin all my stuff to the point where it's good enough to handpaint and still airbrush. The only way I can explain it is that if you dip a brush into a tinlet and it holds a drop for one second or less, you're on the right track. Too long for the drop to fall and the paint is too thick, too many drops, and it's too thin and runny. Consistency of the yoke of a soft boiled egg maybe?

Tony, I've had two compressors without the tank, and I've never noticed this pulsing that's talked of. It has an auto cut-out when it's pressurised too. I'm wondering if that's a myth/hangover from when compressors may have been more industrial or have I just been lucky enought to have had compliant & quiet "putta-putta"s? :confused:;) R

Yeah, a little bit of thinners/water (dependant on enamel/acrylic) is a must. I thin all my stuff to the point where it's good enough to handpaint and still airbrush. The only way I can explain it is that if you dip a brush into a tinlet and it holds a drop for one second or less, you're on the right track. Too long for the drop to fall and the paint is too thick, too many drops, and it's too thin and runny. Consistency of the yoke of a soft boiled egg maybe?

Tony, I've had two compressors without the tank, and I've never noticed this pulsing that's talked of. It has an auto cut-out when it's pressurised too. I'm wondering if that's a myth/hangover from when compressors may have been more industrial or have I just been lucky enought to have had compliant & quiet "putta-putta"s? :confused:;) R

I've only ever had the one with the tank but I have heard it from the "experts" of which I'm not one :rolleyes: that it makes a difference.

Maybe its just with certain types of paint ?

Its not that much extra for a compressor with a tank.

Well explained Richie, I agree with Tony a tank is essential. I have a portable compressor in the workshop that I use for the nail guns I hook that up to a second filter regulator and then the airbrush. The tank lasts for ages before the compressor kicks in.

Not wanting to put a finer point on it, but can these things be got with a trigger option, & would it still work on models, MODEL TRAINS just in case you were thinking otherwise, each to his / her own

Iwata have a few in their range... the Revolution TR2, and the cheaper Neo TRN2.

[/b]

I've only ever had the one with the tank but I have heard it from the "experts" of which I'm not one :rolleyes: that it makes a difference.

Maybe its just with certain types of paint ?

Its not that much extra for a compressor with a tank.

I think when they talk about a tank they mean an air reservoir which gives a more steady stream of air rather than the 'pulses' of air coming straight from a compressors piston. As Glenderg says, the newer non-reservoir compressors have probably overcome this problem though. I remember a few years back, when I was researching which compressor to buy, I read about one guy using a normal cheap 12V compressor to pump up the tube from a car tyre and he then used this as his air source for spraying. A cheap and cheerful reservoir I guess! :D

I think when they talk about a tank they mean an air reservoir which gives a more steady stream of air rather than the 'pulses' of air coming straight from a compressors piston. As Glenderg says, the newer non-reservoir compressors have probably overcome this problem though. I remember a few years back, when I was researching which compressor to buy, I read about one guy using a normal cheap 12V compressor to pump up the tube from a car tyre and he then used this as his air source for spraying. A cheap and cheerful reservoir I guess! :D

So that's where the wheels from the car went :((

All right then, do's that mean it's the right size for spraying models, can you get a trigger gun to go with this, what about noise, oil ? pressure, & all the other stuff that's been mentioned on this topic

Firstly you can get adapters for airbrushes to allow more control if restricted movement is an issue.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Air-Brush-Holder-Handle-Easy-Grip-Airbrush-Grip-New-Model-/330938923296?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item4d0d7f3920

There is also this reasonably priced option

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VEDA-WD-115-Dual-Action-Gravity-Feed-Airbrush-Complete-Kit-/231155517738?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item35d1f1492a

The compressor is the right sort, no need to worry about oil, and it's quiet enough to use downstairs without waking someone upstairs. Hairdryer on medium?

Pressure is more than enough for spraying models. Perhaps theres a way for you to see a set up in person to de-mystify the gear? R.

Glenderg, many thanks for that, I'm feeling a little less nervous now about getting one of these things, & not disturbing the neighbours, will be checking this out further, :tumbsup:

Something like this would suit you down to the ground.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/THE-ULTIMATE-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-WITH-BUILT-IN-COOLING-FAN-NEW-AS186F-116A-/191228579160?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item2c861c8d58

Very quiet, wouldn't wake anyone. These items are all made in China so they're all similar.

An item like this is also a very useful accessory to have for cleaning the airbrush without polluting the air with anything. Have one myself & its a great thing to have.

Same company as the compressor kit.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIRBRUSH-CLEANING-POT-COMES-WITH-2-HOLDERS-AND-SPARE-FILTER-NEW-BOXED-AS-777-/191138695833?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item2c80c10a99

Main things are preparation & cleaning the airbrush afterwards.

I posted some links to videos in an earlier post. Well worth watching them.