Waterfall

Rate this topic

Riversuir226

Seen as a pending house move is on the cards in the near future the biggie layout has been put on hold :( , but in the meantime planning permission with the domestic authorities has been given for a 8ft x 4ft portable layout :o.

The CBSCR has always had an attraction for me since 1989 when santy got me 2 trainsets and a CBSCR vol 2 book by Colm Creedon (must have been a good boy that year!!!). Over the years since i added a few more books about the line, thru the 1990's i spent, many a happy day walking the old trackbed, so its about time i tried to bring back a little bit of it in model form :).

A little alternative history

Instead of the line being lifted, thanks to huge public support and a victory in the high court the mainline from Cork to Bantry was left open while sadly the lines to Clonakilty, Courtmacsherry and Baltimore were closed and lifted. For a few years a full passenger and freight service was in operation but further losses led to the loss of passenger servicesand all freight except beet traffic. Thankfully the opening of a new oil terminal in Bantry led to a new 7 days a week freight serviceto service the terminal and added to this more trains too Ballinacourty and the line wss saved.

Fast forward a few more years and the arrival of the Celtic tiger led to a demand for passenger services which following an upgrade to the line were re introduced, added to this new timber flows to Waterford and two new beet handling depots made the line quite busy.

Back to the layout

While looking into which station to model Clon junction was the first choice but after a little time messing with pencil and paper it became quite clear that it d be neigh on impossible to squeeze it in without loosing the feel of the station. So the second choice was to be it.

I ll be using peco code 100 track, all the buildings are long gone but armed with good pics they ll be the easy part, the other structures will all also need to be scratchbuilt using plasticard.

Waterfall could be a nice simple passing station for West Cork layout either historic or a station for Albert Quay-Bandon or Clonakilty local commuter services had the line survived. I always fancied the idea of a West Cork layout in a large space in N gauge modelling main and branch line connections at Clonakilty and Drimoleague junctions, perhaps with through railcar services to a from Cork to Clonakilty, Skiberreen and Bantry combining and dividing at the junctions similar to the Glasgow-Oban & Fortwilliam services in Scotland.

Tim Cramer published an article on Waterfall including drawings of some of the buildings in Model Railways magazine in the 70s, the layout was basically two platforms a crossing loop and a short siding. I will send a PM if I can find a copy of the article.

Sounds a great idea for a layout. CBSCR existence was way off my radar. I know that part of the coast from the water side, and surprised to learn so many of the towns were connected by a railway in the past. It is amazing how many lost treasures of disused railway buildings still exist around the country either as ruins or in new use. Can you imagine the passenger traffic these popular holiday spots might attract nowadays had the railway still been in existance. Best of luck with the project.

Just picking up on this now tom, and what i really like about it is the serious large curve that makes the most of the board, aligned with the possibly of extending the boards eastward if possible at a later stage. Love the little siding by the bridge on the south part, can imagine it as a perfect photo location! Richie.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15438[/ATTACH]

This is the bridge were the headshunt and running line will go over, handy spot really for the spotters as this will be the view from O Sheas pub :) . I ll be hitting the road on Saturday for a little field trip sadly the station area is of limits but i ll be looking at the other bridge that i intend to model as well as getting a few rough measurements of both bridges . I ll also be looking at the embankments and cuttings for a little inspiration. The long curved look was a must for the layout i wanted to keep straight track to a minimum on the mainline.

Was only thinking the other day of towns on the south coast that never had a railway, i can only think of a handful namely Dunmore East, Ballycotton and Kilmore .

So far the only alterations on the original plan are the addition of a bay platform, moving the signal cabin to the platform and resiting the footbridge and station building :)

Many thanks for all the kind comments

Edited by Riversuir226

I found a copy of Tim Cramer's article includes a drawing of the station masters house and a platform shelter plus a couple of photos taken shortly before track was lifted. I will scan when I get a chance. Also found articles and drawings no No90 the Bandon & Midland tank locos working on the West Cork in the 1950s if you ever get a whiff of steam.

Albert Quay in GSR or early CIE days would be a Corker for a layout :dig: There was a great article on Albert Quay including a track layout in one of the Irwell Press magazines and Ernie Shepherds CBSCR (Ian Allen Publishing) includes a lot of good photos of the system in both the steam and diesel era.

2014-10-18 04.31.57.jpg

layout plan mk 2 , the station is on the right and fiddle yard on the left. Trains coming from the Cork direction is at the top and the exit is at the bottom heading west. Im a little unsure about the bay/freight platform and i may ditch it before the layout is built but leave the odd hint of its former existencelike present day Thomastown. Many thanks to John for the scans of the magazine articles.

I ve also found quite a few pics in the O Dea collection on the nli website, definetly worth a look for any modeller.

Edited by Riversuir226

Spent a couple of holidays in the Bantry area and I was very surprised at how little its changed since the demise of the railway. It must be one of the most modelable of railways and so much of the infrastructure is still visible. I think its Dunmanway still has the glass roof in the station and the loco water columns.

Mike,

I am also interested in CBSCR. If you're in West Cork and snap any photos, upload them here or PM me for an email address if that is easier. If you're on the Cork-Bandon road and can shoot any photos of the stone bridges at Half Way, the river bridge crossing at Inishannon or the embankment with road tunnels before reaching Bandon that would be great. Thanks if you can.

Kevin

TTheres a huge amount of info and pics on the net about the CBSCR.

Ciaran Cooneys Eiretrains

Fred Dean Snr Flickr account

beneathesummergrowth website

nli O Dea collection

Cbsc vol 1 by Colm Creedon is available online.

Corrolla 38 flickr account

Tom Ryans flickr account

If anyone needs pics of the eastern end of the line give us a shout as im regulary down in West Cork .

Edited by Riversuir226

TTheres a huge amount of info and pics on the net about the CBSCR.

Ciaran Cooneys Eiretrains

Fred Dean Snr Flickr account

beneathesummergrowth website

nli O Dea collection

Cbsc vol 1 by Colm Creedon is available online.

Corrolla 38 flickr account

Tom Ryans flickr account

If anyone needs pics of the eastern end of the line give us a shout as im regulary down in West Cork .

Thanks, RS226!! Mike it looks like we may not need to trouble your buddy with these resources online! Thank you for the offer! You too RS226! Actually was aware of Colm Creedon's book and tried to get a hold of one online recently. I was outbid by a £1! Let me look at these resources. They sound great!!:-bd

• 2 months later...
There are two great DVDs on the CB&SCR including elegaic music in the background as the rails are lifted. Worth a look as the quality of images is amazing given how long ago they were taken!

Got my mits on the two dvds over the xmas ,they re available from the Clonakilty rail museum. I ve also been given a loan of a local historians collection of photos and information on the station and the West Cork line in general.