Good air brush kit To buy

Rate this question

Liverbird81

Question

34 answers to this question

Hi Dave.

Do you mind me asking which one? Was it just the air brush or one of their complete kits.

Thanks

Noel

Hi Noel, bought this one as it has a few cups with it. I have a compressor in the workshop for the nail guns so I use that for the air brush. I also bought a filter regulator for it.

Air brush

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VEDA-WD-186R-Dual-Action-Airbrush-Complete-Set-0-2-0-3-0-5mm-Needles-Nozzles-/331225196182?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item4d1e8f6696

Filter regulator

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-Regulator-With-Gauge-And-Water-Trap-Filter-/110759480538?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item19c9c78cda

At last, someone else who's not afraid to say what Airbrush is best, I'm still in the dark about using an airbrush, I never used an airbrush, I don't understand what is the "TANK " for, air ? paint ? is that for storage & of what ? don't want the Emergency services coming out to put out Flames etc.

At last, someone else who's not afraid to say what Airbrush is best, I'm still in the dark about using an airbrush, I never used an airbrush, I don't understand what is the "TANK " for, air ? paint ? is that for storage & of what ? don't want the Emergency services coming out to put out Flames etc.

Ditto!!! =))

Good looking stuff there alright, and the prices seem reasonable. :tumbsup:

Hi Dave

Thanks. What's the purpose of the regulator, is this not handled by the air compressor? Presumably some extra lengths of hose and fittings are needed to hook it all up to a compressor. Any recommendations for an air compressor type suitable for occasional modeller? It sounds like it is better not to get a small pokey one that's constantly kicking on and off. I had read somewhere recommendations not to get a spray gun that has changeable nozzles - any sense in this for non-pro use?

Noel

The tank is part of the compressor. It stores compressed air. The advantage of having a tank is that once the tank is filled, you could spray away in silence without the compressor working. How long a tank the size on those compressors will last though, I don't know. The paint is stored in the gun. Usually in the small cup that sits on top of the gun, in front of the trigger. Some guns have a larger plastic bottle on the underside of the gun for holding the paint. These can hold larger volumes of paint, but are not needed for modelling work and would probably be more awkward to use anyway.

I run my airbrush from a small workshop compressor which has a regulator and gauges built in, then use step down fittings to my airbrush hose. Its tank is about two ft long by one ft dia. Cost? about £100 from our local Machine Mart. Its only down side is its bloody noisey! so its a shed or garage job. But I also use it for tyre checking cars bikes etc.

If anybody is Dublin based, and want's to take a trip to the Dark Side, they're more than welcome to come over and I'll go through everything airbrush, paints, maintenance, primers, pressure, technique, what-not-to-do etc. No cost, BYOB, but if you are around between 9 - 4 Monday to Friday and have an hour to spare, I can accommodate a free lesson. Drop me a PM if interested - max 4 people at a time though and universal access friendly-ish (no downstairs jacks though)!

R.

Twenty eight years ago I invested in a Badger 350 single action external mix airbrush, which I used to do loco resprays for the local modelshop. I still have it, and use it on a regular basis. I have lost count of the number of locos and coaches I have resprayed. It is simple to use, and provided it is kept clean, like any airbrush, gives an excellent result. As well as flushing the airbrush out after each spraying session, every so often I strip it right down to its basic components, and soak them in cellulose thinners, which will loosen any hard to get at deposits of paint. I have thought about investing in a new airbrush, but, if it ain't broke, don't replace it.

Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying an airbrush and compressor shortly.

How essential is a tank for the compressor? I'm a newbie to painting models, not planning on doing too much with it, mainly weatherig and occasional re sprays of coachs etc once I lose the fear of ruining a nice model lol

I'm looking at the TC802 compressor and Veda 186R from the bartshop link posted earlier.

If anybody is Dublin based, and want's to take a trip to the Dark Side, they're more than welcome to come over and I'll go through everything airbrush, paints, maintenance, primers, pressure, technique, what-not-to-do etc. No cost, BYOB, but if you are around between 9 - 4 Monday to Friday and have an hour to spare, I can accommodate a free lesson. Drop me a PM if interested - max 4 people at a time though and universal access friendly-ish (no downstairs jacks though)!

R.

Very much appreciated offer Ritchie, not in a position to take it up right now, will be looking forward to outcome, well done, true modelling spirit, :-bd

More than welcome lads. Next "Airbrush Thingy" will take place in the new year, if there's interest. First one went on for 2 and a half hours, and I can't think of any topic that wasn't discussed, and plenty stock practiced on by the participants whatsmore. Richie

Real sorry I missed it, had a major family clash that Id forgotten about until SWMBO "reminded" me !!!

Just want to add to this thread.

Firstly, I am a beginner to modelling in general.

Secondly I have never used an airbrush before!

On Glendergs advice, I contacted Alison at bartsharp.co.uk, and bought the TC802 compressor and VEDA 186R complete kit. Awesome to deal with.

Apart from the paint, thinner and electricity it is everything you need to start airbrushing.

I had been looking at YouTube videos etc on how to airbrush and was planning on self learning, but thankfully one of my friends out here saw I had 'liked' some of georgeconnas work on Facebook, and admitted he was seriously into plastic airplane modelling. So, he gave me a few airbrush lessons recently, using a Revell 1/32 ME109 G6 I picked up at Christmas ( went into marks in cork for train stuff and couldn't resist buying it!)

Have to say I was amazed at how easy it is. I'm sure that it will be a serious learning curve to match the quality of many of the guys on here, but I urge anyone thinking about it to take the plunge! It really isn't as hard as you probably think!

As I live in Dubai, it is hot here all year round. Given the conditions I found the compressor ran VERY hot so I'm not sure what kind of lifespan it will have. It seemed to give a nice even pressure, no pulsing that I noticed. It would probably be fine in the Irish climate. If and when it does kick the bucket I will get one with a tank. The airbrush worked great, and my mate just asked today where I got it as he wants one. I trust his judgement given the quality of his work, he won dozens competitions in 1/48 scale aircraft before he left Australia to work here.

Anyway, give it a go if it's something you've been thinking about!

Hi Jimbo & welcome to the site, if you search on here you'll find lots of info regarding Airbrushing, compressors, tanks etc. etc. hope all go's well on the staying, but whatever you do don't mix the paint, thinners & electricity unless you'er a good distance away from the results, as you really will know what heat is in Dubai, :banana:

Jamie, the compressor should have an auto- cut out feature, so increase the pressure to max by lifting the knob on the moisture trap and turning it til the pressure increases. It should auto cut off, so it's not constantly running, and help keep it cool.

I burnt out one by constant spraying (non-stop) for an hour, so breaks in between will lengthen the lifespan.

Hi Jimbo & welcome to the site' date=' if you search on here you'll find lots of info regarding Airbrushing, compressors, tanks etc. etc. hope all go's well on the staying, but whatever you do don't mix the paint, thinners & electricity unless you'er a good distance away from the results, as you really will know what heat is in Dubai, :banana:[/quote']

Haha will try keep them apart! Been hanging around the forum for a few years - just don't have much info to give so tend not to post too much. Hopefully in the coming months I'll have some stuff to show.

Thanks Richie, Ya the auto cut out works well, but like you say spraying for any length of time gets the temp up quickly. Doesn't help its 30 plus degrees here already so it doesn't cool very quickly!! I'll prob have to spray inside before long so that will help I'm sure. Thanks for the advice on what and where to buy!

Thanks Richie, Ya the auto cut out works well, but like you say spraying for any length of time gets the temp up quickly. Doesn't help its 30 plus degrees here already so it doesn't cool very quickly!! I'll prob have to spray inside before long so that will help I'm sure. Thanks for the advice on what and where to buy!

Might be worth siting the compressor in the draught of a fan - if you have a spare one about...