Photographic Website Updates

Rate this topic

Evening folks,

A round up of images from the past week:

Wednesday 3rd June 2020:
Some more pictures and videos of the ongoing track relaying work on the Nenagh Branch.

Thursday 4th June 2020:
I ventured out to Lisbunny this morning to photograph 085 arriving into Nenagh with the relay train.

Friday 5th June 2020:
By the end of the first week, 1 mile of track had been relaid north of Nenagh.

Monday 8th June 2020:
A number of service changes took place on Monday 8th June with the reopening of Ireland moving to phase 2 of the COVID19 roadmap. While DART services were restored to a full timetable, on Intercity a number of services were reinstated, including the 0520 Athlone - Heuston, 1530 Heuston - Limerick and 1710 Heuston - Athlone. Also a number of Cork services which had been 3ICR for a number of months were changed to 5ICR sets to allow the 3ICR's to be used to strengthen services to/from Heuston. Finally after a break of 61 days, two MKIV sets were returned to traffic working the 1500 & 1705 Heuston - Cork, 1825 & 2025 Cork - Heuston.

Click https://bit.ly/3cFk9EN to view all the images.

DSC_0683-S.jpg

DSC_0735-S.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, this book was my constant companion as a youngster, and made mention of the tramway remnants - but I could never find much evidence remaining. A favourite spot on the school commute was the remains of the Courtaulds sidings, which did have a few tantalising relics in situ.

image.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Yes, this book was my constant companion as a youngster, and made mention of the tramway remnants - but I could never find much evidence remaining. A favourite spot on the school commute was the remains of the Courtaulds sidings, which did have a few tantalising relics in situ.

image.jpg

Me too! Still have a copy, and it's falling to bits..............

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Me too! Still have a copy, and it's falling to bits..............

Wouldn't it be great if a downloadable copy could be made available from the publisher. I do have a copy acquired a few years ago. It wasn't exactly cheap and I'm fearful it will start coming apart.

1 hour ago, Gordon71 said:

11.7.19. Seagoe Portadown & Craigavon Lakes.

11.7.19. DVT 9004 & GM 227 pass Seagoe Portadown working the 10:35 Belfast to Dublin Enterprise service.

Up until the 1970s, the line at this point used to be straight and ran next to Seagoe Cemetery. The deviation to the left was made to enable the new road on the right to be built between the railway and the cemetery. As part of the new road scheme, Seagoe level crossing was replaced by a road bridge, which can just be glimpsed in the trees at the top left of the picture.

• Like 1

Afternoon folks,

A ramble around Co. Tipperary on Saturday 13th June, taking advantage of the first weekend of County travel, allowed under the Government Roadmap for COVID19 reopening. Images include several views of the South Tipperary Railway route including track relaying at Nichlostown Level Crossing.

Click https://bit.ly/2CcThj6 to view.

DSC_0803-S.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, thewanderer said:

Afternoon folks,

A ramble around Co. Tipperary on Saturday 13th June, taking advantage of the first weekend of County travel, allowed under the Government Roadmap for COVID19 reopening. Images include several views of the South Tipperary Railway route including track relaying at Nichlostown Level Crossing.

Click https://bit.ly/2CcThj6 to view.

DSC_0803-S.jpg

Some great shots as ever, worthy of Tara junction. Presume the works are on both the WLR and the Limerick-Ballybrophy line.

PS: How do you find the D7200? Was thinking of a D7200 or D500, but the 500 looks rather heavy and bulky. The D7200 seems a nicer weight and size. Don't think I'd need the AF prowes of the D500 for mainly seascapes and family pics.

Edited by Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Some great shots as ever, worthy of Tara junction. Presume the works are on both the WLR and the Limerick-Ballybrophy line.

PS: How do you find the D7200? Was thinking of a D7200 or D500, but the 500 looks rather heavy and bulky. The D7200 seems a nicer weight and size. Don't think I'd need the AF prowes of the D500 for mainly seascapes and family pics.

Hi Noel,

Yes it is a great camera. I accidentally dropped it last year just before I was due to go to the USA and had to send it away for repairs. I had to take my old camera, the D90 to the USA instead. The difference in quality was substantial and back in the day i thought the D90 was a great camera.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Fascinating watching the video clip of the yellow machine running on the wider layer CWR. How is it temporarily held in place?

It's bolted together with rail clamps.

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

A small update to the June gallery with images from Thurles Station on Tuesday evening featuring 2 out of the 3 MKIV sets in service and 2817 + 2818 arriving with the 1750 Limerick - Limerick Jct. which is extended to Thurles during the emergency timetable. Also some of the social distancing measures which have been implemented on trains and at stations are shown.

Click https://bit.ly/2N5LWnF to view all the images.

DSC_0870-S.jpg

DSC_0834-S.jpg

Edited by thewanderer

Evening folks,

The latest updates to the June gallery are now online at https://bit.ly/3hUhUS2. Click the link to view all the images.

Friday 19th June 2020:
Two metres social distancing markings were applied at Nenagh Station during the week ending 21st June. Plus a handful of images from a visit to Garrykennedy Harbour on the Friday evening.

Tuesday 23rd June 2020:
After the recent track relaying norh of Nenagh, the track is now being ballasted by the HOBS train. On Tuesday, 084 and 085 were employed on the train in top and tail mode and a mini photographic chase of the train from the worksite at Moanfin to Roscrea was carried out, adhering to the travel restrictions as laid down by the Irish Government for county only travel during the COVID19 pandemic. However, it was disappointing to see other enthusiasts from Dublin and outside the jurisdiction flaunting this travel restriction for the sake of another couple of days of lockdown restrictions.

DSC_0906-S.jpg

Morning all!

With the end of travel restrictions last Monday, I decided to venture to Ballinara near Clonnydonnin on Wednesday to view 081 passing on the 1130 Waterford - Ballina XPO Liner trial. Afterwards, a quick stop off at Shannonbridge and saw my first hireboat of the year. Later in the evening I eye spied Tamper 743 and Ballast Regulator 704 stabled in the yard in Nenagh.

Click https://bit.ly/3inwTnC to view all the images.

DSC_0937-S.jpg

• Like 1

Evening all,

On Wednesday 1st July and Thursday 2nd July, Iarnrod Eireann operated the Weedspray Train over the closed South Wexford Railway between Waterford and Rosslare Strand. Rumours persist that this will be the last rail movement on the route as the 10 year contract with the National Transport Authority expires this year for maintenance of the route, however I heard today from a local person that this contract has been extended by five years. While I treat this as an unverified rumor, time will tell.

I chased the train today between the Barrow Bridge and Wexford and the selection of images come from:
* Barrow Bridge.
* Taylorstown Viaduct.
* Wellington Bridge.
* Bridgetown.
* Killinick.
* Rosslare Strand
* Wexford.

Click https://bit.ly/2VE3hc7 to view all the images.

DSC_0954-S.jpg
DSC_0988-S.jpg
DSC_1006-S.jpg

• Like 1

Great pics. It would be a great shame if that line never reopens for commuter traffic. The yellow gizmo looks a far more efficient and useful bit of kit than loco hauling a pile of wagons with interconnecting hoses. Parts of the old track work don't look too bad.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1